1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Whats the Torque Capacity on a stock LS1 clutch???

I bolted on my bolt on's and now the clutch slips going into second. Figures. So I started looking into a stronger clutch and I see they are rated by torque capacity. I'm looking for a clutch which has a stock pedal feel and is not much stronger than I need. So what is the torque capacity on a stock BW clutch for my M6??? Also, any suggestions or experiances you have had with after market clutches on a slightly modified F-Body would be cool. Mine is a 2002 Z28 (LT Kooks headders, low restriction cats, cat-back, MAF, LID, tuning... all the bacis, you know the deal) I was looking into RAM and SPEC because I hear they are quiet and have a stock pedal feel, any feedback is welcome. Thanks!!!

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

i have had many different clutches in my TA before putting my TH400 trans in and i can tell you what to stay away from... and thats the spec 3 and the 4 both in less than 2000 miles went to crap and that was only driving neither had been to the track yet. my recommendation is buying a spec stage 5 iron disk clutch with a fidanza aluminum flywheel. the pedal feel is a little heavier than stock but not extreme at all.... i have had no experience with ram clutches myself but i hear they are pretty good.
    Raven 2002 Trans Am,
    Built LS1/TH400
    508.8 hp
    521.7 Tq
    http://www.fquick.com/Raven02TA
    "The Bullsh*t stops when the Green light pops"

The Rookie
    What about Centerforce??

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

i have installed a few of centerforce's and i can say i dont like them. they seem to throw some weight around and reduce power, as well as caused a vibration in the motor and sent false signals to the knock sensors.... also Mcleod is a good clutch company as well especially the twin disk....

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Anyone have any feedback on the SLP clutch I see in Jegs

See signature.

Pontiac Firebird's: 91 Formula 350, 01 Trans Am WS6, Suzuki's: 09 SX4 Crossover, GSX-R's: 06 600 & 07 1K.
    F-Quick Garage & Car Domain

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

Raven02Ta - you just need to learn how to go easy on the clutch - i have never heard of someone killing clutches like that - i have 390rwhp@6300 and 375ftlbs@5000 and i am finnally at the limits of the stock clutch!
    BMRacing LT1 - Ls1 - 4.6mod - 5.0 - Some Imports

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Your saying you are pushing almost 400 HP and you still have the stock clutch? I wonder why mine is slipping, I only have 29k on the car and I dont really beat on it that much, but when I do sometimes 2nd wont grab and I smell clutch. I cant see buying and expensive aftermarket clutch which will be overkill and comprimise the driveability of the car, the stock BW cluch that is in it now is very quiet and smooth. I'm a big fan of buying GM parts whenever I can, and if I have to buy a Z06 clutch it is what it is. But if anyone else has had the same problem I am having and found a solution in terms of an aftermarket clutch that they find sounds and feels like stock feel free to share your stories cause I would like to take care of it before summer gets here. Thank again all.

Quote Originally Posted by alamantia
    Your saying you are pushing almost 400 HP and you still have the stock clutch? I wonder why mine is slipping, I only have 29k on the car and I dont really beat on it that much, but when I do sometimes 2nd wont grab and I smell clutch. I cant see buying and expensive aftermarket clutch which will be overkill and comprimise the driveability of the car, the stock BW cluch that is in it now is very quiet and smooth. I'm a big fan of buying GM parts whenever I can, and if I have to buy a Z06 clutch it is what it is. But if anyone else has had the same problem I am having and found a solution in terms of an aftermarket clutch that they find sounds and feels like stock feel free to share your stories cause I would like to take care of it before summer gets here. Thank again all.
    Have you done the drill mod?

Go Z06, I'm at 75k and it is finally starting to show it's age and abuse. I'm definitely putting in the same again.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

LS1+LT1=980hp

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am Firehawk

Well don't pussy out and put an automatic in there!

Pewter
    2002 camaro SS

Stay away from Spec. You'll have major chatter and it won't last. As a Matter of Fact, stay away from Aftermarket Clutches period. Get yourself either an LS6--LS7 or Luk gold series Clutch. You'll get stock feel, above performance expectations and have a clutch that will last you a while (normal driving). If you are Drag racing or Auto crossing, then I would consider a center force DF or equiviant as an exception to the aftermarket.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by FireHawk#75
    Well don't pussy out and put an automatic in there!
    This "pussy" will run your ass anyday...

I have seen M6 folks having excellent results with the LS7 clutch's around here.....
    one Firebird putting down 800RWHP and no clutch problems...
    Good read on the subject....
    http://www.advancedclutch.com/provei...1-benefits.asp
    Last edited by Sarge; 02-12-2006 at 06:07 AM.
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

Mine went out with just tires.

-Will

Thread Information