Silver
    99 Z-28

For What it is worth - M6 Trans Fluid Choice

I have a 99 Z-28 M6, and changed the trans fluid to Mobil 1 Synthetic Dex III, and the shift quality went down. I researched every post (Camaro and Vette) and came up with 10302 opinions, It's good, it's stinks, it will kill blocker rings, you will get cancer, your hair will fall out.......

So, I called Tremec directly Friday morning, nice folks. I asked if this fluid was fine. He stated that they have certified Mobil 1 Synthetic and it should be no problem at all. I told him about all the opinions on the web (He giggled). Good enough for me, so it must be something else I did is wrong when I changed the fluid (My wife loves it when I do these preventive maintenance tasks).

So, I pulled the fill plug when it was flat on the ground and about 1/2 pint ran out. Moral of the story?

I filled it when it was jacked up in the front, the car was not level. Too much fluid, that's all. 1/2 pint might not seem like much, but my trans told me it was.

Shifts like a dream again. Something to check.................. Now that dang pinion seal that chevy want's my first born to change..........

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

well, transmission can not be over filled. Kinda a big deal. Also, from what oil master dude here says.... synthetic is a no-go for tranny's. i duno.. i have much to learn on oil's..

I hope what you mean to say is that the trans should NOT be overfilled. Yes it can be as was done above. Excess oil is excess windage. This equates to an extra inertia load on the rotating parts and synchronizer loads = it will degrade shift quality. You can avoid the overfill probs by metering/ measuring what you pour in rather than the fill-to-spill method.

Artic White
    01 Z28

i only jack the front when i change my trans fluid, but i set the car back on the ground to let the rest of the fluid run out the fill hole, then jack it back up to tighten the plug.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    I hope what you mean to say is that the trans should NOT be overfilled. Yes it can be as was done above. Excess oil is excess windage. This equates to an extra inertia load on the rotating parts and synchronizer loads = it will degrade shift quality. You can avoid the overfill probs by metering/ measuring what you pour in rather than the fill-to-spill method.
    You didnt gather that from what was posted?

Silver
    99 Z-28

Well, I thought I said that

Thread Information