Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Went with the MGW, installed it today and im in love.

So i bought the MGW last week and it came in the mail today. i have never changed out a shifter before so i was a little weary about it but just went ahead and did it. i was shocked at how smooth and easy this whole installation was. from start to finish it only took about 30 mins or so. my first impression was WOW! keep in mind my car didnt have the hurst shifter that many cars came with i had the basic V6 style shifter and that thing sucked. so going from that to the MGW is incredible. i read that it may take some time to break in and it will get even better. so far it shifts smooth and easy so if it gets better from here then this truly has to be the best shifter out there for the money! so if anyone is having questions about what shifter to buy i would 100% go MGW.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Meh... I'm not so impressed with mine... I actually miss shift more with this one than I do with the stock one...

Also, it's hard to engage reverse with mine, as the throw is so short and the shift effort so high (especially moving side to side) that it sometimes only partially slots for reverse, so I get a bunch of grind when I let the clutch pedal out.

Black
    1999 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Meh... I'm not so impressed with mine... I actually miss shift more with this one than I do with the stock one...

Also, it's hard to engage reverse with mine, as the throw is so short and the shift effort so high (especially moving side to side) that it sometimes only partially slots for reverse, so I get a bunch of grind when I let the clutch pedal out.
    Not the first I've heard of this with this shifter. In my opinion you can only put so stiff of a centering spring before it becomes a nuisance to shift with. But its all about driver preference.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999slpss View Post
    Not the first I've heard of this with this shifter. In my opinion you can only put so stiff of a centering spring before it becomes a nuisance to shift with. But its all about driver preference.
    It used to be that these shifters came with different centering springs so you could change them to adjust the tension to each particular liking.
    I believe the Hurst shifters are still supplying them in their kit. Sounds like some of these shifters are getting cheap and not supplying the parts they used to.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It used to be that these shifters came with different centering springs so you could change them to adjust the tension to each particular liking.
    I believe the Hurst shifters are still supplying them in their kit. Sounds like some of these shifters are getting cheap and not supplying the parts they used to.
    That's a bummer... I was hoping for faster shifts, but all it really improved was the shift throw (shorter distance). The increased resistance cancelled out the benefits of the shorter throw, netting a result very close to stock on shift times.

Funny, I was better at power shifting a stock sloppy shifter on a T56, but I find these transmissions don't like that type of shifting anyway, a bit too notchy for my liking.

When I installed my first aftermarket shifter (Billet Hurst) shifts were more positive, but it didn't give me that comfortable feel I always look for. Even after changing the centering spring it was an "okay" shifter.

Our current SS has a factory Hurst, and I actually like it better than the Billet Hurst we had before. Still not comfortable by my standards, and T56's are just notchy SOB's. But the center spring isn't all that unbearable, and I removed the stick itself for a Luos Short Stick. Don't like that all that much either. I had to heat and bend the stick to position it to my liking. Now without the rubber insulator on the stick it transmits more noise into the cabin (I knew that was going to happen though).

Not a shifter out there I'm completely happy with (tried a 5.0, pulled it and sold it, drove an MGW equipped 4th gen,,,,it was "okay")

The big advantage to the MGW is that is has (or at least it used to) have adjustability with the stick so you could position it in a comfortable spot (driver preference). Not sure if they still offer that or not.....

What would really make me happy is a modified T56 with better sincro's, shift forks, smoother operating shift rail, etc....so it drops into gear effortlessly instead of fighting you all the way. Because of this (and a few other reasons) it's not my favorite transmission. The overdrive is nice if it's just a driver type car, that's about the only good thing about it. For racing it stinks.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Will agree with you on that, the t56 is notchy to say the least. My MGW takes a little more effort to push through gears but i still love it.
    If you're looking for a quick shifting t56 i think faceplated is the way to go, not exactly as street friendly as having synchros but definitely faster

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Funny, I was better at power shifting a stock sloppy shifter on a T56, but I find these transmissions don't like that type of shifting anyway, a bit too notchy for my liking.

When I installed my first aftermarket shifter (Billet Hurst) shifts were more positive, but it didn't give me that comfortable feel I always look for. Even after changing the centering spring it was an "okay" shifter.

Our current SS has a factory Hurst, and I actually like it better than the Billet Hurst we had before. Still not comfortable by my standards, and T56's are just notchy SOB's. But the center spring isn't all that unbearable, and I removed the stick itself for a Luos Short Stick. Don't like that all that much either. I had to heat and bend the stick to position it to my liking. Now without the rubber insulator on the stick it transmits more noise into the cabin (I knew that was going to happen though).

Not a shifter out there I'm completely happy with (tried a 5.0, pulled it and sold it, drove an MGW equipped 4th gen,,,,it was "okay")

The big advantage to the MGW is that is has (or at least it used to) have adjustability with the stick so you could position it in a comfortable spot (driver preference). Not sure if they still offer that or not.....

What would really make me happy is a modified T56 with better sincro's, shift forks, smoother operating shift rail, etc....so it drops into gear effortlessly instead of fighting you all the way. Because of this (and a few other reasons) it's not my favorite transmission. The overdrive is nice if it's just a driver type car, that's about the only good thing about it. For racing it stinks.
    Yes, the stick on the MGW is still height adjustable, least mine is. Installed a few months ago and I agree with you 100% It's great for cruising but not great for drag racing. Everyone say to change the MC to a Tick type, but also, like you stated, the trans could use a better design.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Yes, the stick on the MGW is still height adjustable, least mine is. Installed a few months ago and I agree with you 100% It's great for cruising but not great for drag racing. Everyone say to change the MC to a Tick type, but also, like you stated, the trans could use a better design.
    I've already had the adjustable master, drill mod, clutch, slave etc. for a few years now...I'm still not 100% happy with the trans. This is the 3rd 4th gen with a 6 speed we've had (bought one of them new) and it's always been a notchy trans. Great for a daily driver (which it is anyway).

But that's coming from a guy that is used to adjustable mechanical linkage and butter smooth shifting muncies.

On a brighter note, I'm glad to hear the MGW is still adjustable, since my wife isn't happy with the current factory hurst and short stick combo. I may try getting the taller short stick offered and swap it out, see if she likes that better. If not I'll start looking at shifter options again.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-02-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My MGW is not adjustable... I bought it in February.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Got a pic? I'm pretty sure the design has remained the same

Wow, things are changing it appears?

First no choice of centering springs and now the MGW isn't adjustable anymore? That was the whole advantage to the MGW over other shifters. Without adjustability you may as well go with one of the other models on the market.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I too have a problem with 3rd gear ''misses'' I have the Hurst short throw now..I heard a 5.0 shifter would take care of this but you say youve already tried it and didnt like it..why?...I definately dont want to spend money only to still have the sucker miss third often, I think your right when you say its just the design of the ''notchy'' T-56. P.S. If anyone has a problem trying to engage reverse pop it into neutral then first ,then reverse try reverse again. This works good!
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 07-03-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

NICE COLOR!!! I have the same on my 02....

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    I too have a problem with 3rd gear ''misses'' I have the Hurst short throw now..I heard a 5.0 shifter would take care of this but you say youve already tried it and didnt like it..why?...I definately dont want to spend money only to still have the sucker miss third often, I think your right when you say its just the design of the ''notchy'' T-56. P.S. If anyone has a problem trying to engage reverse pop it into neutral then first ,then reverse try reverse again. This works good!
    The MGW def is adjustable they havent changed the design as I know someone who just got one over on tech... The reason many people dont care for the pro 5.0 is that it is noisy and notchy. Many people report increased cabin and vibration noise and notchy shifts even over other normal short shifters.

I have driven Alex's car numerous times with the MGW and I like it a lot. Now the MGW does put 1st gear almost where 3rd gear is on your stock shifter and the shjifter is very short and somewhat stiff however that is by nature what a very short shifter like the mgw will do. I think some of the bad reviews com from people who expect the shifter to behave just like the stock one but with shorter more precise throws and that is simply not the case.

If you want a shifter that shifts like stock but a little shorter throw then try the b&m which is what I have currently or just use the short stick on the hurst. However if you like super short precise shifts and dont mind a little more effort the mgw is the choice. I never really miss 3rd with my b&m and it is very smooth and the throws are shorter than stock but the mgw is very different I feel confident just throwing the shifter into the next gear.

PS: Anyone in this thread who wants to trade me their mgw for my b&m and i'll even throw in some cash lets talk!

I think what affects me most with all these aftermarket shifters is the very short stick.

I'm not really after short throws as much as I am ease of pushing/pulling into gear. Every shifter I've used that I installed a short stick on I've been unhappy. I loose the leverage that the longer stick provides, and it requires more effort to push/pull into gear.

I'm more of a fan of a longer stick that takes less effort to overcome the notchyness of these T56's, even if it increases the throw slightly.

Everybody is different though and may not like these shifters for some other reason.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Got a pic? I'm pretty sure the design has remained the same
    Correction: mine is height adjustable by way of two allen screws on the little orange piece that clamps onto the stick.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

sorry i have been MIA since posting this. But since i have installed it and driven the car ALOT the shifter feel even better. i dont really notice the extra noise, i also used the inner stock rubber boot thing, w.e thats called. i just cut the top of it to work with the mgw and i dont notice noise much at all. my car didnt have the hurst shifter it had the most basic shifter that came in these cars so going from that to this is unbelievable. i am 100% satisfied with this shifter, i havnt missed a shift since installing it and to me my shift times are way faster. i havnt had any issues getting it into any gear either. i love it, if someone was to ask me what to buy i would say MGW all the way. It really does feel much better since putting some good miles on it. and yes it is still height adjustable.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

I've already had the adjustable master, drill mod, clutch, slave etc. for a few years now...I'm still not 100% happy with the trans. This is the 3rd 4th gen with a 6 speed we've had (bought one of them new) and it's always been a notchy trans. Great for a daily driver (which it is anyway).

But that's coming from a guy that is used to adjustable mechanical linkage and butter smooth shifting muncies.

On a brighter note, I'm glad to hear the MGW is still adjustable, since my wife isn't happy with the current factory hurst and short stick combo. I may try getting the taller short stick offered and swap it out, see if she likes that better. If not I'll start looking at shifter options again.
    FBJ..MY MAN!! Ditto on the Muncie. Being an "old skool" street racer, my old Muncie 220 was great. You think we could stuck one in behind my LS? lol

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    FBJ..MY MAN!! Ditto on the Muncie. Being an "old skool" street racer, my old Muncie 220 was great. You think we could stuck one in behind my LS? lol
    The adapters are out there to put any trans you want behind that LS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information