Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading clutch what do you recomend?

well i have 2001 z28 6 spd with 76000 miles on my current clutch and its just not realy grabing to hard ne more. all i have planned for my car is to put on some bolt on such as headers and a lid. but the car is an 01 and i hear these have better master cylenders. I was looking at ram hd clutch's but i was also considering spec clutch's and i think im just gonna stick with my factory flywheel unless you think its nessary to upgrade to a lighter billet steel. and anyone have the slp clutch set up with the lightend flywheel .

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Make sure to get a new master and slave cylinder from gm

I used a spec 3+ clutch with an aluminum flywheel and a lightweight pressure plate. It was hard to get used to (1500 miles are so), but now I love it. I have a 99 TA (non ram air) with a hypertech and a lid and knn with flowmaster. Thats maybe an extra 30 horses and I get 3rd gear scrathes every time. I did the quarter mile in 13 secs flat. I know thats not that great, but I'm not that good of a driver and my car has 92k miles on it.

Spec clutches are great.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Well, Make your clutch choice to accommodate for future mods. I would also try to stay away from the spec. I have heard of many people say they dont last past 5k miles. and other issues too.

White
    1998 Firebird Formula

I have a Z06 clutch in my 1998 Z28 M6 and I'm loving it. Stock feel to it. Much better than the SPEC III I had before which barely lasted a year. I only have a few bolt-ons so this clutch works for me now since it's my daily driver and I don't have any big mods planned
    SOLD1998 Chevrolet Red Camaro Z28, T-Tops, M6, LS6 Clutch, Flowmaster, Lid & bellows, K&N, MSD Wires & NGK Plugs, Short Stick, Black Z06's, Berger, Black Halos & Corners, SS Hood

NEW 1998 Pontiac Firebird Formula White, T-Tops, M6, WS6 Rims, Stock... for now

fQuick Page

nice how much did that clutch run you and did you reuse the factory flywheel?

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Get yourself a LS7 clutch kit, you won't regret it. You will regret getting almost any other aftermarket clutch.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

silver
    2000 camaro ss

how do you guys think an ls6 clutch kit will handle 400 rwhp?? thats more in my budget than the ls7 kit.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kage 62005
    Nice car dude. Help me out here if you can. How do i put handle back on parking brake lever. Took it off to replace it w/new, having hard time putting it back on.
    I do belive that it is rivited on and a rather large rivet at that. You may have to take it to the dealer for help here.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kage 62005
    Nice car dude. Help me out here if you can. How do i put handle back on parking brake lever. Took it off to replace it w/new, having hard time putting it back on.
    I do belive that it is rivited on and a rather large rivet at that. You may have to take it to the dealer for help here.

silver
    2000 camaro ss

ls6 clutch???

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by baseballss
    ls6 clutch???
    I wouldn't

Zak

Aftermarket clutch or OEM??

Need som geerheads to help me out on this one also. I have a 2000 Camaro SS with 48000 miles. Have a stock clutch and it's burned up, any heavy throttling and it will grab and drop up to 5000 RPM in 3rd on a 6spd T-56 tranny. Biggest problem is I dont have a factory manual, (And I love getting on thiss SS! Ran 12.3 1/4 tuned without problems stock) I like the redline in my shifts. have done a few bolt on mods and after ordering factory manual will do some more. I've heard alot about the LS7 clutch kit being the way to go. Like I said I've never done any work on the car It's never needed any. Are disassembly and bolt up proceedures pretty much the same for clutch change out on this LS1 and T-56..........as any other manual tranny? If not can you guys give me some heads up on what more I should pay special *note to. I'm assuming this LS7 clutch kit is GM OEM? Please correct my assumption if wrong. I appreciate any expert advice from those whom have done a change out, thanks. You can also email me at jzak@netscape.com

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

What mods have u done? 12.4 in the quarter is pretty good, without major mods.

I have a spec 3+ clutch with aluminum flywheel, I love it, but only have 2k miles on it. My 99 t/a m6 has only ran a 13 sec flat 1/4 mile time. with only simple mods.

I wonder what I need to do to get into the 12's, besides practice my launching.

I hear alot of people recomend spec brand clutches, but some don't.

Just remember to replace your rear main seal and slave/master cylinders while your tranny is out. I would also recomend getting a new flywheel.

oh yeah.... and the drill mod helps alot
    Last edited by preston1980; 05-29-2006 at 05:27 AM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I just finished replacing my SPEC clutch/flywheel with an LS7 clutch kit. It is indeed an OEM clutch and flywheel. I highly recommend that you upgrade your slave to the 2001-2002 and change the throwout bearing as well. You should also order a ARP flywheel bolt kit to be on the safe side (torque to 75 ft lbs). Haynes (24017) makes a very comprehensive repair manual for Camaro/Firebird 1993-2002.

Zak
    Quote Originally Posted by preston1980
    What mods have u done? 12.4 in the quarter is pretty good, without major mods.

I have a spec 3+ clutch with aluminum flywheel, I love it, but only have 2k miles on it. My 99 t/a m6 has only ran a 13 sec flat 1/4 mile time. with only simple mods.

I wonder what I need to do to get into the 12's, besides practice my launching.

I hear alot of people recomend spec brand clutches, but some don't.

Just remember to replace your rear main seal and slave/master cylinders while your tranny is out. I would also recomend getting a new flywheel.

oh yeah.... and the drill mod helps alot
    Thanks for the advice. I've only done minor intake mods, shaved down all baffles in intake cover smooth, run K&N filter, Trimmed egr shorter. There was a noticable immprovement in performance with just these simple mods. As far as time goes on the 1/4, I've raced identical cars and have been beat and I also have won. Yes many modifications can add alot of H.P. and trim time. I found that experience and practice usually win a race in the same class of performance car. You stated "the drill mod helps alot?" Please elaborate, Thanks.

Zak

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SOMSS
    I just finished replacing my SPEC clutch/flywheel with an LS7 clutch kit. It is indeed an OEM clutch and flywheel. I highly recommend that you upgrade your slave to the 2001-2002 and change the throwout bearing as well. You should also order a ARP flywheel bolt kit to be on the safe side (torque to 75 ft lbs). Haynes (24017) makes a very comprehensive repair manual for Camaro/Firebird 1993-2002.

Again guys thanks for all the good info, much appreciated. If Haynes makes a comprehensive manual for any car it will be a first! I'll have to check it out. Last thing.......how much will all this set me back $$ performing the work myself? Were you able to get your parts at a specific place at a discount or very reasonable price and where?

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Sounds like you may have a cam in that engine

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

the drill mod is when you drill out the factory line restrictor in the master cylinder line that runs to the slave cylinder.

Which lets your master cylinder fill back up with hydralic (I cant spell) fluid in between speed shifts. It really helps your clutch ingage faster and makes those tricky 3rd gear shifts easier.

I know there are like 20 differant threads on this site about it. Just search "Drill Mod"

By the way a new slave cylinder comes with a new throw out bearing from the factory.

So u need a slave cylinder, a master cylinder and a rear main seal, from chevy.
    Maybe a tranny mount as well.

Black
    2002 Z28

I got a TEXtralia on the way!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Again guys thanks for all the good info, much appreciated. If Haynes makes a comprehensive manual for any car it will be a first! I'll have to check it out. Last thing.......how much will all this set me back $$ performing the work myself? Were you able to get your parts at a specific place at a discount or very reasonable price and where?
    You can get this clutch kit at Fred Bean's (http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214152) for $635 shipped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information