Thread: Two for one...

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

Two for one...

So my 00' WS6 M6 Recently started making a grinding sound when I release the clutch in 1st. If I feather the clutch I can start with no grind but it is a very slow start. When I shift into any other gear it usually won't do it but if I release the clutch to early or to quickly sometimes it will do it in every gear. Also if my RPMs are to high in fifth and I down shift to 4th it will pop out of gear but only in 4th. I took it to AAMCO and they listened to it while I made it grind in 1st gear. One guy had never heard it before and then said it was an engine mount. Than another guy said he smelled the clutch burning but I think that was from me making it grind for them. I don't know. When it's in gear and I'm moving all my power is there. But when I'm idling I put it in neutral and release the clutch and I will here a noise coming from underneath. If I push in the clutch and release it slowly the sound disappears. If anyone can tell me what I'm dealing with I would appreciate it. AAMCO wanted $500 just for labor costs (not including the price of parts) to change out the clutch. So I went to Kragen (auto parts) and priced a clutch...$500 and that was for the standard Beck Arnley replacement clutch. I've been doing some research on aftermarket clutches and found that I can get a better clutch for the same price (about). My question is how hard is it to change out the clutch on these cars? How long will it take? Are there any special tools I will need or special parts? Any warnings, cautions or helpful tips? Should I do anything else while I'm in there? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Clay

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Your question is kinda vague with the noises. If the tranny is operating fine then it probably isnt an internal problem.

But if its making a thumping/thudding noise when you push the clutch pedal in quickly I would first check your crossmember bolts and make sure they are tight. Dont just look at them, get a ratchet on them. Mine were all loose and made a loud thud when quickly disengaging the tranny. Also look at your tranny mount for extreme wear. That could be a problem also. Does it feel like your clutch is slipping? Dont replace your clutch because AAMCO guy took a wild guess at it.

I have an Extreme Energy Poly transmission mount I could sell to you. Brand new, never used. Dont know if you want poly or not, some guys dont like them. Good luck.

The name says it all !!!FAST!!!'s Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6, 2006 G35

It's hard for me to describe the noises. I know that makes it harder to help. The noise when I engage then disengage the clutch is more of a whirring sound. There is no thuds. But the biggest concern is the grinding sound that emits when I release the clutch while starting off in first. I've heard good and bad things about poly bushings. But GMHP did an article a while back that said poly's are good for most suspension and some body mounts but they transfer alot more noise into the cabin. But the Tranny mount xfers the most and they suggest unless you are running a whole lot of HP to stick with the stock replacment. Thanks anyway.

Thread Information