green
    1998 s-10

Post tremec six-speed to 4-bolt 350

I am trying to mate a tremec six-speed to a 70's or 80's 4-bolt main 350.Does anyone know what type of bell housing i need?Or a bell-housing retailer that can help me, thanks for the help. I would hate to put an auto in.

You did not say what this is going into so shifter position may be as important as the bell.Start off with the aftermarket T56 that is made to mate with the old "bow tie" bells that fit that motor & vintage release systems.(1386-000-011) It also has the shifter forward so you don't have to be in the back seat to shift( as in some retro installa)This will save alot of conversion of an Fcar unit and most likely $$$too.If you don't have any parts yet you may want shop before you buy a Fcar pull out. Mc Leod makes a series of steel bells/ adapters for nearly any application if you want to go that route.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for both, so it should bolt right up.

Be aware though that you will need to get a hydraulic clutch setup to work with the T56. Not only that, but the Pressure Plate and Flywheel need to be correct for the motor and transmission too.

The motor is going to have a 2-piece rear man seal, which means you have to get the flywheel designed for that. You also need to find out if the engine requires counterweights on the flywheel or not, because flywheels come both balanced or with counterweights.

This rework is exactly why I proposed the aftermarket model transmission . It does NOT require the hydraulic conversion parts . The bell pattern at the engine is the same, yes. but if he has the old 4bolt bell to the trans its a different story ( no, they are not the same). Again thats why the aftermarket trans works. Most of this would be clearer if you were more specific on the application.

Thread Information