Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Transmission Repair

I own a 2000 Camaro SS. I brought the car into the repair shop because of a grinding noise in 1st, and sometimes 2nd and 3rd. I would have to baby the clutch from a stop just to get the car moving. If i drove the car to aggressively i would hear a grinding noise. The shop says that the t-56 manual transmission needs 1st, and 3rd gear, sliders, fork, and clutch replaced. He has quoted me $4,400 for the whole job. The car is currently at Aamca transmissions.

I have noticed that people sell rebuilt transmissions on ebay for much cheaper than what ive been quoted. I dont know enough about cars to install a transmission myself, and i'd like to get my car repaired asap. Are there any recommendations as to how i should proceed?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

that is way to high of a price imho .

buy the parts yourself...make sure and to get the 3-4 steel fork they used in the vipers and so forth..get the good upgraded parts..and then see how much they will charge you..if it is still ridiculously high..go elsewhere

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Okay, thanks a lot. What are your thoughts on replacing the whole transmission?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Does it grind going into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Or does it grind when you are already in gear and you try to accelerate?

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

It grinds as im releasing the clutch, going into the gear. Once in gear, I can accelerate as fast as i wish without any noises or it popping out of gear.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Also, let us help you. Let us run through all the symtoms with some Q&A with you. Hopefully we can pinpoint a possible cause and let you know it Aamca is on track. Concidering its a $4400 estimate, you may wanna get a second opinion at a different garage. I'm sure Aamca wouldn't mind.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Well it could be clutch or clutch hydraulic problem. Do they have a reason to think something inside the transmission is bad? noises?? did they tear it down and inspect it?

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I just got the parts list:

-bearing kit
    -synchro kit w/brass rings
    -seals and gaskets
    -1,2 slider hub assembly
    -3,4 slider hub assembly
    -3rd gear
    -3,4 steel fork

He says is he buys product, sells it to me, and installs it then i hav a full year warranty with him. If i bought my own products than the warranties would become almost worthless.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

They have torn the transmission apart. I am lready in the hole for $550. However if i find somewhere that can do it a lot cheaper than i can have the car towed and still save some of the labor costs.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by kyleslewis View Post
    It grinds as im releasing the clutch, going into the gear. Once in gear, I can accelerate as fast as i wish without any noises or it popping out of gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Well it could be clutch or clutch hydraulic problem. Do they have a reason to think something inside the transmission is bad? noises?? did they tear it down and inspect it?
    Not sounding like the transmission to me. Like Cutlass meentioned, its very possible it was/is clutch related. That quote is very high. Get another quote from another shop.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I went through a reputable shop and had RPM transmission build my T-56. I was charged $1695 plus R&R ($200 I think).

My upgrade list included:
    Solid synchro keys
    Sliders/hubs
    Steel 3-4 fork
    Carbon blocker rings
    Media blasted transmission case

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I just got the parts list:

-bearing kit
    -synchro kit w/brass rings
    -seals and gaskets
    -1,2 slider hub assembly
    -3,4 slider hub assembly
    -3rd gear
    -3,4 steel fork

He says is he buys product, sells it to me, and installs it then i hav a full year warranty with him. If i bought my own products than the warranties would become almost worthless.
    Plus a clutch right? I don't know...seems a little wierd, but I'm not there to look at the parts and verify anything.
    One RED on the parts list is 3rd gear. Certainly not impossible to have a bad gear but ...hmmmm

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

$4400 WTF Do they dip it in gold? Too bad you can't spend more time and shop around.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Plus a clutch right? I don't know...seems a little wierd, but I'm not there to look at the parts and verify anything.
    One RED on the parts list is 3rd gear. Certainly not impossible to have a bad gear but ...hmmmm
    I'm with Cutlass. Be very suspicious of these chain repair shops, they often replace much more than need be. STS is known for that, don't know much about AAmco though.

Ask if you can see the transmission while its disassembled, and take some pictures of all the parts that they say need to be replaced. Then post the pics on here and we can make sure you're not getting ripped.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks Wesman, thats a great idea. I'll do that as soon as possible and get those pictures up here. Thanks for all the help.

Also, i just got prices from a Chevrolet dealership and it sounds like Aamco is charging me the same amount...

98' trans am

If they charge u that much....look to buy a new upgraded trans....it sounds to me imho they looked at any part with wear and replace it...do yourself a favor and ship it to flt and have them build it up

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

How reliable are the Finish Line Transmissions? Are they under warranty? And, how will the warranty work if someone else installs the transmission? What is a typical price to install a fully built transmission?

98' trans am

FLT are top notch...they are the transmission shop i will be taking my trans to no questions asked...there have been a few members here that are running 800 to the floor with their transmissions.
    i am not sure about the warranty ..but i am sure there is still a warranty if another shop installs it.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Awesome.. That sounds great. Do you know if id have to ship the transmission to the east coast or do they have shops all over? All i could find was their corporate website.

Also, do these transmissions come with a new clutch and flywheel? I'd like to replace those while the transmission is out

98' trans am

Awesome.. That sounds great. Do you know if id have to ship the transmission to the east coast or do they have shops all over? All i could find was their corporate website.

Also, do these transmissions come with a new clutch and flywheel? I'd like to replace those while the transmission is out
    i believe flt has only 1 shop..so you'd have to ship it. it is best you give them a call and see what is going on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information