Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Transmission rebuild underway

So i took the tranny out of the trans am about 2 months ago and it has been sitting ever since. btw it is a m6 6speed tremec. Now for the past year the car has been sitting and the whole time i was doing nothing but thinking of what to do with the tranny...i was either going to buy a new one or send it to ticks performance here in north carolina to get rebuilt. but i have talked to a few of my buddies about actually doing it myself. i finally looked at the schematic...although there are very many parts to it...i believe somewhere in the ball park of about183 or 185. So now i plan on tearing it apart myself. i have already done the easy stuff, i took the bellhousing off and the rear cover to the tranny off. now all i need is the motivation to tear the rest of this big lego set apart. if any one is interested i will post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFenix_68 View Post
    So i took the tranny out of the trans am about 2 months ago and it has been sitting ever since. btw it is a m6 6speed tremec. Now for the past year the car has been sitting and the whole time i was doing nothing but thinking of what to do with the tranny...i was either going to buy a new one or send it to ticks performance here in north carolina to get rebuilt. but i have talked to a few of my buddies about actually doing it myself. i finally looked at the schematic...although there are very many parts to it...i believe somewhere in the ball park of about183 or 185. So now i plan on tearing it apart myself. i have already done the easy stuff, i took the bellhousing off and the rear cover to the tranny off. now all i need is the motivation to tear the rest of this big lego set apart. if any one is interested i will post pics.

Good luck with the rebuild! I would like to see pictures I may learn something new!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fastls1ta View Post
    Good luck with the rebuild! I would like to see pictures I may learn something new!
    Yup I am gonna need it. I figure I work on aircraft so I think I can tackle this....not saying I wont run into my own set of problems, but we will see what happens.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see you posted in a couple of areas. If you would like, I can move all of your threads into the "transmission" section of the site. Let me know, and good luck.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I see you posted in a couple of areas. If you would like, I can move all of your threads into the "transmission" section of the site. Let me know, and good luck.
    yes please. if you could. i posted this same one twice by accident i just need one for the tranny forums. I totally was not paying attention thanks jon

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Ok well finally got the right tools for the job! So far I have pulled the back case off of the transmission and removed a couple of retaining pins and one gear! Pics will come soon. Successfully smashed my hand about 10 times trying to take off a retaining ring....my palms are red and sore....soon as I get off work I will be diving more into the transmission!!!! Need more motivation as this transmission whether the right tools or not is definitely in the top ten hardest things mechanically that I have done...Well we will see once I tear into it...I think I might be making this out to be more than what it is.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Well there is not a whole lot of people diving into this thread.....Well today I removed more retaining pins and the reverse gear a thrust washer and the roller bearings underneath the reverse gear. So far everything looks great. no corrosion, and no metal shavings. Had a problem uploading pictures, but they will come soon. I am also going to swing by the auto parts store to grab snap ring pliers (non e-ring) trust me, this will save you in anger and time...and smashed fingers and hands...gloves barely dampen the smash ahaha. Well hopefully a couple of people will stop by to check this out. Probably would help out if i had pictures to keep the crowd pleased.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hey Jon is there anyway you can move this thread over into the manual transmission forums?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Ok so I got the snap ring pliers.....well worth the money, and the time. It literally took me 2 secs to remove the ring. Im telling anyone who reads this and decides to rebuild their own transmission...buy this tool. Ok i will let everyone know later how it goes. I (should) have this transmission apart tonight just from getting the pliers to speed up progress.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Don't you need a press? Do you have one?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

lol, no. it calls for you to have a gear puller but I have been pulling them off fine with very lightly tapping the gears off, if needed. And if I needed a press yes I can get access to one but no I do not have a personal one.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

As for actually needing the press or using it if i need it, i am not at that step just yet. I still have to take 5th/6th gear off and the fork and then remove the transmission case

- - - Updated - - -

I will post pictures as soon as I can

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I will be watching. This is something I need to have done, and would really like to do it myself. Save money, and be proud of myself as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you using as a guide? A manual, vid?

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

i too am following this as id like to rebuild mine in the near future probably order all my parts from thegearbox

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Ok guys I have completely torn down the transmission! I am so happy and proud of myself and have not broken a single thing!.....well I lied...a few snap rings need to be replaced to due not having the snap ring pliers......other than that transmission is completely torn down! Now the reason I disassembled the tranny was because of the possibility of the input shaft failing my slave cylinder and the 3rd/4th gear syncro was failing and 4th gear kept popping out when driving. Out of all the gears, the input shaft looks to be the oldest and does have some normal wear on it. I am going to take it to a local transmission shop and have them look at it and see what their opinion is. This tranny I tore apart was a rebuild that only had 25k miles on it from me from a rebuild that I had to get 5 years ago. So far everything looks great. I am going to replace all of the usual stuff that comes in the kits. I am also going to see if there are any local shops around the area that can cryo treat the transmission parts. I promise I will post pics as soon as I can. This was one of the best decisions I could have made. I am glad I tackled this. By the way, you do not need a press for disassembling the tranny, or a gear puller. If you have the equipment at your disposal then yes, I would recommend it just because you should always have the right tools for the job (but honestly they are really unneeded, and you will see when you have to do yours as well). Just use common sense. Most of the stuff just comes off with pulling at the components. Some need a little persuasion. Other than that I am all ears for questions.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    i too am following this as id like to rebuild mine in the near future probably order all my parts from thegearbox
    I plan to get all of my stuff from them to.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I hope you took pictures so you remember how it all goes back together!

Thread was moved too.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I will be watching. This is something I need to have done, and would really like to do it myself. Save money, and be proud of myself as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you using as a guide? A manual, vid?
    I am using a publication (diagram). If you follow it step by step you will have no problem here is the link
    http://cs.pontiac-club.com/graphics/...viceManual.pdf

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I hope you took pictures so you remember how it all goes back together!

Thread was moved too.
    Yes I did. Every single piece that has to come off. I kept them in order and put all the pieces in order on a shelf. It will go all back together just as it came apart. I thought about doing the whole bagging and tagging the pieces and throwing it in the box like a normal tear down but figure if i did them in order on a shelf it will take no time to put it all together and replacing the old parts with new parts. I think people are just terrified to dig into it due to the many parts. I am not going to say it was an alright tear down and rebuild just yet, just for the sake that i have not put it back together yet. But id like to say i will have no problem putting it back together. I might just put it back together and disassemble it again just for the practice, that and i have the "snap ring pliers" which are unbelievably your best friend when tearing this bad boy down...trust me try taking the 5th/6th gear snap ring off without them and by yourself...when your done swearing and busting your knuckles, you to have felt my pain ahaha. All in all not to bad so far.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information