Red
    1998 Z28

Transmission Problems Please Help!

okay so i bought my car the day before valentines day. it stayed in the paint shop for a few weeks and had all the nessicery fluids changed including transmission (non synthetic). well it had a short throw shifter but my dad had it replaced with the stock one. he drives it too and he signed for it so i didn't say anything. well the problem is, when i go to put it in reverse i have to let the clutch out untill it clicks in order for it not to bump out plus it's very hard to get into reverse. but the real problem came tonight it had clicked and i was going backwards with my hand on the shifter and it kicks out and starts grinding like a mother and this had happend before and i don't want it to become a frequent thing. if anyone can help me diagnose the problem i would greatly appricate it. i know nothing about transmissions so i could really use some help

The Rookie
    What kind of Trans Fluid did you put in it?

Red
    1998 Z28

not a clue my dad had it serviced. i was told it was changed i'm going to check it tomorrow just to be sure if it was low though would that explain it?

The Rookie
    Could be.... Just make sure they put the Dexron III Automatic Trans fluid in it.

Red
    1998 Z28

any other things it could be? anyone else had this problem??

The Rookie
    Hopefully not a bent shift fork. Check the fluid first and make sure they used the right fluid and filled it properly.

Your fluid change had nothing to do with this. It is likely the result of poor driving( shifting) habbits of the PO. You will have to rebuild the reverse syncho at least and maybe the reverse driven gear( if the clutch teeth are heavily clashed- I suspect so) and shift fork( I would guess its bent from jumping out)

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird
    Your fluid change had nothing to do with this. It is likely the result of poor driving( shifting) habbits of the PO. You will have to rebuild the reverse syncho at least and maybe the reverse driven gear( if the clutch teeth are heavily clashed- I suspect so) and shift fork( I would guess its bent from jumping out)
    I would have to agree also.....nothing to do with fluid.......as good as the T-56's are they do have some shortcomings......you may have to get it rebuilt....I just had one go out and it had the same problem.....but I bit the bullet and bought a new one from D&D Performance......

Thread Information