Thread: Transmission

Red
    2002 Transam WS6

Transmission

My transmission went out in my 02 WS6. I am not real familiar with transmissions but the guy that is gonna rebuild it says 2,500 to put it back the way it was. Does this sound right? Any suggestions on manual transmissions in these cars would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

you could probably get one from www.gmpartsdirect.com for way cheaper than that..unless its like performance built or something

Want a new car

You mean the gears are shot or just the clutch? for an 02 it's probably just the clutch which is not going to be that expensive, probably more like 500 or so.

Red
    2002 Transam WS6

Everything is shot. I need a totally rebuilt transmission and a new clutch. I was just informed of that today. The bad thing is I don't really dog my car at all so I don't really understand what happened.

Want a new car

That may be possible but I would get a second opinion from another shop, what were the symptoms when driving?

Red
    2002 Transam WS6

I had no symptons until the day it happened. I get up and go to work and I can just hear this sound in the gear box. But I though that just because it was so cold that the car might need to warm up, because its not like I hadn't heard the noise before. Then right before it happened I could feel my car kind of letting off of it a little. I was going about 80 down the interstate, and it just felt like it was losing power.

Want a new car

I still think you should get someone else to look at it , it sounds like just the clutch is slipping.

Red
    2002 Transam WS6

I have had a clutch slip before, this is not the same sound or feeling. Plus he has already looked at the internal and said there is metal everywhere, teeth totally grinded down. Thanks for the comment though, it is appreciated.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I don't know how far away you are from Mooresville, but there's a shop there that's run by a pretty straight shooter. I've never actually done business with them, but they've always been very helpful with answering questions even without the prospect of a sale. Unfortunately, they don't look like they're a sponsor on this board, so I can't post a link to them. If you PM or email me, I can give you the info if you're interested.

Thread Information