Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

trans or rear noise? not sure? best shop in or around Phila?

whats up guys, my car is in the shop right now getting a new(er) ls1 installed because mine caught a little bit of a rod knock so the warranty company i have with my car paid for the new LS1 install.

now before this happened a week or 2 before i noticed i had some High RPM lockout, i researched and founf could be air in the lines, or need to do the drill mod etc. but there was a noise starting to come from either the trans or the rear of my car. if i was mid-high rpms and left it in gear as it slowed down it would make a whining sound. it only does it while its in gear if i push the clutch or leave it in neutral it doesnt make a sound. if im lower in RPM's i dont hear it either.

does anyone on here know of a place in Philly that would be a good place to have it checked out. i know places like aamco and cottman trans. will do a free diagnosis but are they the kind of people i want digging around inside of my trans/rear? any help would be awesome. i should be getting my car back this week (i hope!), and i would like to address this issue ASAP. if anyone has any ideas who to go to please let me know.
    Thanks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you find a place? If not, free bump.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i have looked but no one near me seems to really deal with F-bodys on a regular basis so im not sure what to do the noise is like a clicking from the rear. from videos i saw on youtube i think they said it was bearings? im hoping it can just be rebuilt. my car is under warranty they just paid for the new motor so im assuming they would also pay for the rear. it does say the rear is covered in my warranty.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

As I'm sure you know, the factory 10 bolts are notorious for self-imploding. Have you jacked the rear end up and tried to turn the wheels to replicate the sound?

I'd also ensure all the bolts on your LCA's and torque arm are tight.

Check for slop in the drive shaft at the u-joint.

Lastly you could see if while the rear is jacked up you have any play in the wheels. Likely if the bearing is bad the wheel will wobble

Only other thing that comes to mind is a caliper hanging up.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i havnt done any of that i only owned the car for about 2 months now im still trying to learn as much as i can from here. most of that time the car was in the shop getting a newer ls1 installed bc it had a rod knock a few weeks after i baught it. i dont even really beat on it that much esp since i heard that sound iv been driving it like a sissy. on a side note i installed the MGW today and im in love with this shifter already.

Thread Information