Thread: TKO with LS1 ??

fastback331

TKO with LS1 ??

Hello- FNG to the board thanks for any replies/info.

I have an early (63) vette I put a tko600 in recently behind the old carb'd 327. This setup uses the muncie B/H and a 26 spline CF DF clutch. A T56 would not work in the car as the trans tunnel is tiny and I prefer not to cut it out.

I have access to an ls1 I want to install but am not sure what bellhousing I could use to put the two together. Does anyone know if a muncie B/H would bolt up to an ls1?

I know mcleod sells one but I know nothing about these modular/multi piece bellhousings. Also does the drivers side rear portion of the block have any mounting bosses so I could fab up a mechanical clutch setup?

Thanks guys,

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey man...I beleive the shaft is longer on the LS1....mebbe something a spacer will take care of to mate up to your Muncie B/H......The other thing that came to mind is the 12 o clock 2 oclock bolt pattern....I would suggest taking a look at a LS1 bolt pattern and your Muncie......lemme look around and call a couple of old gearhead...Vette guys for you and ask...

Black
    99 SS

what kind of muncie?

fastback331
    I had an M22 Muncie in it for the past 10 years or so and decided to swap in the Tremec. I am really glad I did- I look at the car differently now-like your wife losing 50 lbs..ha J/k.

But I drive it much more often now and thats what got me started on the LSx swap bug. I have an old mustang (sorry) that I put efi in and it is a real pleasure to drive now...and I learned about plumbing return lines, o2 sensors, wiring harnesses, etc.

Thanks for your replies..
    Does anyone know about the width and length of LSx motors compared to the old (1st gen) motors? Space is tight on the early vettes but I think it will fit with the right motor mounts.

Have a good one-

Black
    99 SS

do you want to sell the M22? i have an M20 currenty in my Chevelle and want a M22.

fastback331
    Sorry I keep all the original parts cause if I ever do sell it-Guys who buy old Corvettes are weenies about #'s matching. It does not bother me but thats where the value is for them.

All my mods so far are reversible and I could put all the stock stuff back in it would just be alot of work.
    I appreciate the offer though.
    Last edited by fastback331; 09-29-2005 at 09:00 AM.

Thread Information