Black
    1999 camaro

Thinking about going back to the stock hurst

I've had my pro 5.0 for about a year now.. and while i do like it, I am just sick and tired of the noise associated with it. I've recently put 2 rubber grommets in between the handle and the stub of the shifter and it helped some but not as much as I want. Is there any other kind of tricks to cut down the noise from it? I've even thought about bolting my stock shifter handle to the pro 5.0 base.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1999slpss View Post
    I've had my pro 5.0 for about a year now.. and while i do like it, I am just sick and tired of the noise associated with it. I've recently put 2 rubber grommets in between the handle and the stub of the shifter and it helped some but not as much as I want. Is there any other kind of tricks to cut down the noise from it? I've even thought about bolting my stock shifter handle to the pro 5.0 base.
    Whats the reason(your reason) for replacing your stock Hurst?

I've went back to the stock Hurst on my wifes car after having 2 aftermarket shifter assemblies in there.

Most of your noise comes from those aftermarket shifters for 2 reasons. Some of them don't accept the original boot, or it has to be whacked in such a fassion that it doesn't do a good job at insulating noise anymore (don't know if this is one issue you have).

The other is the stick not having that rubber insulator so it transmitts noise into the cabin through the stick itself.

I'm sort of in between. I use the stock Hurst but have removed the insulated stick and installed an aftermarket stick on there. The factory rubber insulated stick gives you a slightly mushy shift feel but it's quiet.

I picked up a slight amount of noise when I simply changed the stick, but I gained a more positive gear engagement feeling.

Really I don't even notice the noise much. I hear it more when going through the gears, but when cruising,,,not so much. Still worlds better than some of the classic cars I have, and it doesn't even phase my wife so I don't worry about it.

You could try mix matching parts like this to find the level of noise you are comfortable with...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I love my Pro 5.0 never had a problem with it.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

FBJ - do you know if the Hurst Billet aftermarket shifter has insulation? I've had mine installed about 4 years now and haven't noticed any noise at all.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    FBJ - do you know if the Hurst Billet aftermarket shifter has insulation? I've had mine installed about 4 years now and haven't noticed any noise at all.
    I ran the stock floor insulator with mine and it was a quiet running shifter, so I'd say yours is probably in place too.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    no it does not. neither does the stock hurt though either. the sound insulation comes from the factory rubber boot on the floor which does need to be cutup a little as mentioned with some shifters but the aftermarket hurst shouldnt need that. the other insulation comes from the factory handle which has a rubber bushing on the bottom of it once you change the stick even on the stock hurst you also lose that.

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    the sound insulation comes from the factory rubber boot on the floor
    That's what we are talking about.

Some people remove that all together because it doesn't fit on some aftermarket shifters,,,,then complain about the noise. If you cut it up,,,it also doesn't work as well and allows some noise to come through.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

ya i got what you all said lol I just assumed he was talking about the actual shifter itself having some type of insulation when in actuality its the boot that provides the sound deadening

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    ya i got what you all said lol I just assumed he was talking about the actual shifter itself having some type of insulation when in actuality its the boot that provides the sound deadening
    Ah okay,,,,the original shifters do have an isolator on the rod to cut down noise and vibrations, where as the aftermarket shifters come with a solid rod.

I don't know if that's what you mean when you say "actual shifter"?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I see. I knew the boot was the major insulator, but what I wasn't sure of was whether or not there was some additional insulation involved. Thanks for the info.

Black
    1999 camaro

I replaced my stock hurst because it would not center itself to neutral. Took it apart and the plastic pivot piece inside had come loose so I have since fixed it but put it on the shelf.

Don't get me wrong I like the positive feel of the pro 5.0 I just wish it was a little less noisy. I did NOT cut the lower boot and that I'm sure helps a lot.
    1995 Z28 A4: 353 LT1 Heads/Cam/Stall, awaiting !opti or !LT1

1999 SS M6: Pacesetter Longtubes, SLP 2otl catback, E-cutout, 218/218 .563 .563 112lsa cam, Ls6 injectors, Ls6 intake, 85mm maf, Whisper lid, Pro 5.0, 4.10 gears, UMI sfc, Founders LCA & PHB, Tuned by v8muscle.net

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^^ Oh i see...Cause i have the Hurst shifter (factory ordered) and its not noisy at all My big complaint was that it doesnt seem to get into 3rd @high/fast shifts....Jon and i talked about it in a thread previously and think its a hydraulic issue so thats whu i was wondering why you replaced it?

Black
    1999 camaro

Since I've had the pro 5.0 I put in a new clutch and hydraulics and I'm thinking now it might not be an issue hitting gears with the stock hurst like it was before. But I don't want to go through all the trouble if I still can't shift for crap with it

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1999slpss View Post
    Since I've had the pro 5.0 I put in a new clutch and hydraulics and I'm thinking now it might not be an issue hitting gears with the stock hurst like it was before. But I don't want to go through all the trouble if I still can't shift for crap with it
    I cant remember were i read it but there was an article on pro 5.0 shifters that dealt with the problem of adjustments?.......That it needs to be adjusted correctly of youll have issues?

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Not to change the subject...this is just "food for thought". I have an MGW shifter and I hear/feel no appreciable noise/vibration. The exhaust is what I hear the most. Just saying....

Thread Information