Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is there a difference???

OK maybe this is a silly question and maybe it isn't but here goes.

Is there a difference between holding in the clutch pedal and leaving your car in gear when you come to a light as opposed to putting it in neutral and releasing the clutch pedal?

Obviously the transmission is still in whatever gear you left it in by just holding the clutch pedal in....but is putting the actual car in neutral better?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

that would be a matter of your situ. Mine, putting it in neutral is better. Well worn clutch, probably better holding it back. Have a friend pull the clutch a few times while you listen from the outside of the car. Noise, not good. Less noise, better. You can argue this thing either way, but noise is friction.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I always hold the clutch in at a stop, and when i shut the car off. Prolly not a big deal but that's what i do cause of habit. I personally think it's better for the clutch assembly but that's jmo
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

from what i know there isn't much of a difference. i do both just depends on how my left leg feels ha. as long as the clutch is pushed all the way in and u arent holding it in the friction point then no damage is done
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

White
    2001 Camaro

When i got my certification in manual transmissions i was told if you leave your car in gear when stopped going up a hill the clutch can still make contact and wear it down even though you have the clutch pedal in. At least that's what they told us.
    Last edited by DMAN; 10-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The difference is:
    Clutch pedal to the floor, throwout bearing and pilot bearing spins and wears out faster. Clutch disc, trans input shaft, counter shaft, and the gears on the main shaft stop spinning. Everything in the trans stops spinning.

Clutch pedal up, shifter in neutral. Throwout bearing is not touching the pressure plate so it is at rest (not spinning). The clutch is fully connected the engine flywheel and trans input shaft so the pilot bearing is also at rest. The trans input shaft, counter shaft, and the gears on the main shaft are spinning at the same speed as the engine. Everything in the transmission is spinning except the main shaft/output shaft.

I vote for clutch pedal up/trans in neutral since everything in the trans is lubed up nice and is perfectly happy spinning around.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

^^^ good info!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The difference is:
    Clutch pedal to the floor, throwout bearing and pilot bearing spins and wears out faster. Clutch disc, trans input shaft, counter shaft, and the gears on the main shaft stop spinning. Everything in the trans stops spinning.

Clutch pedal up, shifter in neutral. Throwout bearing is not touching the pressure plate so it is at rest (not spinning). The clutch is fully connected the engine flywheel and trans input shaft so the pilot bearing is also at rest. The trans input shaft, counter shaft, and the gears on the main shaft are spinning at the same speed as the engine. Everything in the transmission is spinning except the main shaft/output shaft.

I vote for clutch pedal up/trans in neutral since everything in the trans is lubed up nice and is perfectly happy spinning around.
    interesting. thanks for the great info

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    The difference is:

Agree as usual

If I'm at a stop for a more than a few seconds, I always drop it in neutral and let the clutch pedal up.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I figured as much that is why I posted the question. Thanks for the info Cutlass.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

We have a ton of stop signs and lights near me. Always put it in neutral when stopped. Clutch so far has 110,000 and I dont know what was done to it for the 1st 50,000. My Subaru is at 110,000 and should go for a while longer.

Thread Information