Thread: Synchros?

Light Metallic Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Synchros?

Ok, so my clutch finally went out last year and I decided to wait till spring to get her fixed (since I was going to store it during the winter anyway). The master cylinder is what actually went out. I took the time to scout out a shop that I felt would do a good job. I found a shop called (extreme performance in North Olmstead, OH) I had the car fixed there and a whole new clutch put in since they said that the pressure plate was getting pretty burnt up. I had a "Zoom" clutch put in (the one made of kevlar) to the tune of $1700. Anyway I got it back and now it slips out of second gear. This is so utterly annoying that it makes me not want to drive my most valuable posession any more I took it back and they said that it was the synchros and that they couldn't possibly have done that. I don't know that much about it, but I've been told the synchros go out when the car has been driven hard. I need advice on what to do PLEEEEASE!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

do you have a stock shifter or aftermarket?
    It could be a syncro or a bent shift fork. If they drove it hard and really yanked it down into second HARD, they could bend the Aluminum shift fork.

Light Metallic Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

If they bent the shift fork would I have to have the tranny pulled? I would have to have the tranny pulled to replace the synchros right?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes to both q's

White
    1998 Camaro

Could you explain what the heck a synhros are and the aluminum shift forks???
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    do you have a stock shifter or aftermarket?
    It could be a syncro or a bent shift fork. If they drove it hard and really yanked it down into second HARD, they could bend the Aluminum shift fork.
    I thought the 1-2 fork was steel, and it was the 3-4 fork that was the problem causing aluminum?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'm not completely sure, but I think all the T56 shift forks are aluminum but the 1-2 is a little beefier and usually doesn't cause a problem.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I'm not completely sure, but I think all the T56 shift forks are aluminum but the 1-2 is a little beefier and usually doesn't cause a problem.
    That always made sense to me. But what you said have always made the most logical sense. But Ive always heard different.

Anyone with a for sure answer here?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

HiPo, you are correct. 1-2 shift forks are steel. 3-4 are aluminum, which is why these are more prone to bending.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

35th-ANV-SS, are you sure?
    EPP's website says:
    "1-2 shift fork - There is no replacement for the 1-2 shift fork. It is aluminum and is fairly strong by design."

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Cutlass, no! Haha. I thought I had read what I posted in the T56 service manual, but now that I think about it, it was from a thread in either here or LS1tech. My statement was incorrect. You are correct. 1-2 shift forks and 3-4 shift forks are all aluminum.

http://www.transmissiondigest.com/te...tds%20HTML.htm

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

35th-ANV-SS, are you sure?
    EPP's website says:
    "1-2 shift fork - There is no replacement for the 1-2 shift fork. It is aluminum and is fairly strong by design."
    Ok, so you are saying here, most do not have issues with the 1-2 fork correct? My T56 was rebuilt with a STEEL 3-4 fork and viper shafts. Thats the only reason im questioning it. I cant remember which of the two were the problems childs.

So, judging by EPP's site, the 1-2 fork is aluminum, and a decently strong piece. The 3-4 fork, is a weak link and is the fork that gets replaced during a T56 upgrade.

Right?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That sounds right to me R. I remember reading that, and that is why I had thought what I did originally. From what I remember and have seen as T56 upgrade parts...3-4 forks are always swapped with steel ones, among other things.

Thread Information