Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Stuck in 4th...Need for worry?

So I was cruising around Saturday. Upon going around a corner I shifted it into 4th. I shifted it like I normally do; I wasn't WOT or anything. As I came up to the light, I pushed in the clutch and the shifter would not come out of 4th. I pryed on it pretty hard and it wouldn't budge from 4th. I noticed that right when this happened the clutch peddle was slow to return to the top, but it did come up all the way. I drove it home in 4th (the 4.11 gear helped me take off from stop in 4th, but I'm sure that wasn't good on the clutch as I smelt it...). At home I was able to rock the car while pushing the clutch in and out and finally got it to come out of 4th. I didn't hear any noise or feel anything different when I shifter it into 4th when it happened.

I drove the car home and it shifted fine. The next day I took it out twice, each time for a few hours and again, it shifted fine through all gears.

I have a 2002 Camaro SS with 14k miles on it. It came stock with a Hurst shifter. Also, just wondering without taking the boot off and looking, does this shifter have stops?

All comments and feedback is welcome and always appreciated.

Thanks guys,
    JDM
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I had the same issue and had to drive home in 4th for about an hour, lol. With a Stage 3 clutch is was toast and in the end had to replace my tranny, i couldnt even kick it out of 4th gear if i wanted to, it was that bad.

Factory Hurst has no stops. If the trans is orig. it has an aluminum 3/4 shift fork and its worn. There is an iron part available and thats what you need.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks 30th. I hadn't had an issue with it since then until earlier today. Upon shifting it into 4th...it stuck again. And now, it sticks everytime I shift into 4th. I am guessing this is definitely the fork then?

I am thinking since i will have the tranny pulled to replace the fork, it would be a good idea to upgrade the tranny...

Anyone have any comments on all what to get done? Upgrade synchros, 3-4 fork, bushings, fork pads....?

Anyone know a good place to get the kit from?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nevermind. I found it. Looks like another 2 or so weeks before I get this POS back on the road again.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I still cant get over this happening with such low milage that you have man. That sucks man good luck with it bud..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yea. Bob knows exactly what is wrong with it when I explained it to him. He had the same issue on his camaro. RPM transmission is only about an hour from Bob. I'll be sending it to RPM transmission for a level IV upgrade.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/levelivt56.html

More money I didn't plan on spending. Looks like this car will never have a SC at this rate...

Hopefully when I get the car back, I'll be able to at least drive it for a week without something else fuc'n up!

Built suspension, built trans, built drivetrain....stock power. Haha.

Black
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Yea. Bob knows exactly what is wrong with it when I explained it to him. He had the same issue on his camaro. RPM transmission is only about an hour from Bob. I'll be sending it to RPM transmission for a level IV upgrade.

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/levelivt56.html

More money I didn't plan on spending. Looks like this car will never have a SC at this rate...

Hopefully when I get the car back, I'll be able to at least drive it for a week without something else fuc'n up!

Built suspension, built trans, built drivetrain....stock power. Haha.

that's ruff man!!! Sounds like your car was made for shows only!!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddog View Post
    that's ruff man!!! Sounds like your car was made for shows only!!!
    Haha I know right. I can't wait to get the car back. I have been having the itch to cruise around in it so bad. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous.

Thread Information