Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

stage 1 spec clutch

ok I got a 01 WS6 that ran 13.08 with 110,000mi and just an slp lid,msd plug wires, and hooker muffler....I had a 2.0 60ft, and no experience with LS1's..I had an alder camaro with 350 double hump heads ran high 13's...this thing is different, well that 13.08 was ran on my first run and my 2nd run 3rd gear wouldnt go in so ive had the car 6 months and only drove it 5 months...in these 5 months the tranny has been redone by a very respectable place called fastlane in st louis MO, its got hardened gears,syncros and steel forks, all the good stuff...and I took the stock exhaust manifolds off and am in the process of long tube headers, I scraped the cats and am installing a off road y pipe.....my question is that the guy that built my tranny said to go with spec 2 at most, and he recomended a spec 1 so thats what I got, he said stock in 01 and 02 my car came with a Z06 clutch kit that would handle 500hp, and the spec 1 handles more than that....he said most people report problems with their clutch because they run 12's and get spec 3 clutches...well he says i'll be mid 12's now and a spec 1 is plenty until im in 11's.....is this clutch gonna not work?...I ran 13.08 stock pretty much, I will have headers,ORY,tune now....he said spec 1 holds up too 450rwhp and is very good for everyday driving like I will be doing

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by getcha01 View Post
    ok I got a 01 WS6 that ran 13.08 with 110,000mi and just an slp lid,msd plug wires, and hooker muffler....I had a 2.0 60ft, and no experience with LS1's..I had an alder camaro with 350 double hump heads ran high 13's...this thing is different, well that 13.08 was ran on my first run and my 2nd run 3rd gear wouldnt go in so ive had the car 6 months and only drove it 5 months...in these 5 months the tranny has been redone by a very respectable place called fastlane in st louis MO, its got hardened gears,syncros and steel forks, all the good stuff...and I took the stock exhaust manifolds off and am in the process of long tube headers, I scraped the cats and am installing a off road y pipe.....my question is that the guy that built my tranny said to go with spec 2 at most, and he recomended a spec 1 so thats what I got, he said stock in 01 and 02 my car came with a Z06 clutch kit that would handle 500hp, and the spec 1 handles more than that....he said most people report problems with their clutch because they run 12's and get spec 3 clutches...well he says i'll be mid 12's now and a spec 1 is plenty until im in 11's.....is this clutch gonna not work?...I ran 13.08 stock pretty much, I will have headers,ORY,tune now....he said spec 1 holds up too 450rwhp and is very good for everyday driving like I will be doing
    youll be just fine, i have a stage 1 centerforce clutch and it does just fine as did my stock one, just changed it for extra assurance!
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I wouldn't go with a SPEC clutch unless you were getting a 4 or 5 because you NEED it.

Spend the money on a Textralia.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I wouldn't use a SPEC at all. I'd go with this:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I wouldn't go with a SPEC clutch unless you were getting a 4 or 5 because you NEED it.

Spend the money on a Textralia.
    true that,my dads got one in his heads/cam c5. it seems to hold up

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I would stay away from SPEC like the AIDS!!!

Run Forest Run. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The key ? is what is your budget?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

all about budget now

I took tranny,cats,y-pipe all out and took the tranny to a place 30 minutes away from me, and told him to put all hardened gears,syncros, everything, I am 24 and still live at home and make $700 a week im just a welder and me and the lady have been wanting to get good credit to get a house...well I had $2000 saved up and when I heard the tranny was gonna cost $3000 I had to save everything for a month to pay bills and pay for the tranny...then rumors started going around about us getting laid off, so I saved every penny again for bout 2 months and sure enough got laid off but I had $1000 saved...I got pacesetter headers and catless y-pipe, and paid my truck insurance,car payment and insurance, then all I had money for was a spec 1...I wanted a LS7 clutch kit, but you have to get the LS2 flywheel and all, the other 2 choices were spec stg2 and centerforce dual fric....well I didnt have the money left, and ive been laid off a month and half and its takin the state so long to get me my unemployment, ive only had 1 check so far....so I called the company that built my tranny, and he said a spec 1 is plenty, that most people come in with H/C,headers 450RWHP and have spec 3's and 4's...he said a spec stage 2 will easily hold 500RWHP...and I needed a daily driver clutch, so the spec 1 is supposed to be better than the stock Z06 clutch that came in my car, so far it has no chatter and is running really awesome, very very smooth...worth the $4300 and I did it all myself...next time if im working im paying someone to install the headers though lol

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

I took tranny,cats,y-pipe all out and took the tranny to a place 30 minutes away from me, and told him to put all hardened gears,syncros, everything, I am 24 and still live at home and make $700 a week im just a welder and me and the lady have been wanting to get good credit to get a house...well I had $2000 saved up and when I heard the tranny was gonna cost $3000 I had to save everything for a month to pay bills and pay for the tranny...then rumors started going around about us getting laid off, so I saved every penny again for bout 2 months and sure enough got laid off but I had $1000 saved...I got pacesetter headers and catless y-pipe, and paid my truck insurance,car payment and insurance, then all I had money for was a spec 1...I wanted a LS7 clutch kit, but you have to get the LS2 flywheel and all, the other 2 choices were spec stg2 and centerforce dual fric....well I didnt have the money left, and ive been laid off a month and half and its takin the state so long to get me my unemployment, ive only had 1 check so far....so I called the company that built my tranny, and he said a spec 1 is plenty, that most people come in with H/C,headers 450RWHP and have spec 3's and 4's...he said a spec stage 2 will easily hold 500RWHP...and I needed a daily driver clutch, so the spec 1 is supposed to be better than the stock Z06 clutch that came in my car, so far it has no chatter and is running really awesome, very very smooth...worth the $4300 and I did it all myself...next time if im working im paying someone to install the headers though lol
    good for you bro! im glad everything worked out and good luck with your unemployment.. hope you find another job soon as i am looking hard for one myself

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Wow $3000 for bench rebuild on a T-56? Thats really expensive!! You could have bought a NEW G Force T-56 for that much.
    http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp

Heres a pic of a stock input shaft and a G FORCE

Look at the difference in the cluster shaft. . . . . . . . OMG

I hope he put ALL aftermarket parts and triple cone syncros for that much.
    This what triple's look like for you all.

With Spec it seems to me that their qaulity control is just shit. You either get a good clutch or a horrable out of balance POS.

Sorry to hear about your job. It's really bad here in IN also.

Good Luck

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Wow $3000 for bench rebuild on a T-56? Thats really expensive!! You could have bought a NEW G Force T-56 for that much.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

With Spec it seems to me that their qaulity control is just shit. You either get a good clutch or a horrable out of balance POS.

Good Luck
    yea when i had my lt1 i got my 6 speed rebuilt with some upgraded parts for 1800 bucks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Which are the aftermarket parts? Top or bottom?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Which are the aftermarket parts? Top or bottom?
    First pic of the Inputs the bottom is the G Force. Look at the difference in the angle of the gears and the dia. of the shaft.

The second of the Cluster Shafts the top is the G Force. Look at the dia. of the shaft itself.

Not to mention both are made from a lot stronger hardened steel.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

ohh yea all good

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Good Luck
    yea he only charged me $500 for labor he gave me all my old parts back and I have total receipts for everything....it have everything but a bigger input shaft...I thought it was really steep price also, but when I got looking into other stuff I found that GM wanted $2,600 for a OEM one for my car...with shipping it woulda been close to my price, seems like u cant find any bargains or cut any shortcuts around F bodys or their parts, they are just worth a lot to people (us)....at first it was going to be $1800 for the stage 2 kit from D&D just like the stage 2 from T56rebuild.com...same stuff, but he got into the tranny and the gears were chewed up and dawgs he called them were broke and it was all busted up, so I told him gut it and go with the hardened gears and steel forks and everything else the best he could get, thats why the price was so high
    Last edited by getcha01; 02-12-2009 at 04:51 PM.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Going on my second year with a spec 4 clutch/ billit spec fly wheel. with a stock tranny. No issues thus far but will keep you posted. I was told to go with at least a spec 3+ with my set up.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Going on my second year with a spec 4 clutch/ billit spec fly wheel. with a stock tranny. No issues thus far but will keep you posted. I was told to go with at least a spec 3+ with my set up.
    You may be right, all I know is this guy just builds high end cars like vipers and caddy XLR's, Z06's, he does turbos on brand new models and headers and all kinds of stuff and he said usually people get way more than they need...it wouldnt hurt, I wish I had the money to atleast get a spec 2, but I had to go with spec 1 cause it was $275 compaired to $375...I wasnt planning on gettin laid off halfway through my build....it sucks bad

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

You may be right, all I know is this guy just builds high end cars like vipers and caddy XLR's, Z06's, he does turbos on brand new models and headers and all kinds of stuff and he said usually people get way more than they need...it wouldnt hurt, I wish I had the money to atleast get a spec 2, but I had to go with spec 1 cause it was $275 compaired to $375...I wasnt planning on gettin laid off halfway through my build....it sucks bad
    dont sweat it, youll be just fine

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

summit sells t56's NEW for $2500.

how much did you pay for your spec 1? i got mine from LMP for $256.

main reason for buying it... price.

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I wouldn't use a SPEC at all. I'd go with this:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Man not so sound rude, but that clutch is a whole weeks more pay than the spec 1 clutch I bought...there is tooooo many guys that spend way too much money on a clutch that is wayyyy too strong for their car...I drive my car everyday I wont ever get a race clutch...and an LS1 even 01 and 02 are said to have 300-310RWHP from factory, and the WS6 model them years are said to produce another 15RWHP over others due to the hood and raised air box....nobody admits it but i've read in motor trend,car and driver and others that they figured out something in 01 and that they got an 01
    WS6 with stock tires and all not even broke in engines go 12.99....highest ive seen with a Z28 or reg trans am is 13.5...thats a half second difference?????

Impounded

Black as black can be
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I think a lot of you are either lucky and got a good business inhereted,or made something of urself like .1 percent of this nation has done in the last 5 years, or your in debt to your ears because you use credit cards....I'm 24 I screwed up with a credit card when I was 22 and said it will never happen again, I've worked since I was 18 and have paid off a jet ski,2005 R6 crotch rocket,1996 Z71 truck and a dirtbike and had perfect credit, living at home...but I got a credit card and after a year it had my credit from near perfect to a 525....so it took me 2 years to pay it off I have no debt now, but my 01 T/A WS6 $400 a month and I clear $650-$720 a week livin at home still....my tranny cost me $3000 in cash, headers and y-pipe=$500,spec 1 clutch I had to go with instead of the spec 2 I was going to get because I had $500 left and I knew it was going to be close with making my car payment so it was either $275 or $375 for spec 1 or spec 2, so I had to go with spec 1 which sucks, but its actually working a lot better than the stock Z06 clutch that came in it.....anyhow...too many of you are in debt to your ears, I work for every penny I have and this car is expensive to work on, I do all the work myself, with only experience from working on hot rods....I do all this with no credit card so think about that, while putting $100 a week back for a house eventually with my girlfriend...I get $430 a week unemployment....

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

it's rough... ever thought about joining the military? the air force is as close to civilian life you can get in the military. it's a guaranteed paycheck. and you get free medical. you know.. in case you get ole girlly pregnant. hahaha. i'm a Marine. so i'm not recruiting for the AF.. but it's an option..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information