Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Squealing Monster clutch

Hi all,

I have a Monster stage 2 clutch w/ a 15 lb lightweight flywheel, and using a Tick master cylinder. It has been on the car 1 year and 7000 miles.

Almost immediately after install, it started squealing when starting off in 1st gear. I have to ride the clutch quite a bit so it won't stall (light flywheel was a bad choice). So my question:

Is this normal? Fixable? Do I need to replace the clutch?

Thanks for any insights on this!

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I dont think its normal at. My monster clutch stage 3 with chrome molly flywheel chattered during the break in but squealing doesn't sound right. Did you install it yourself or did you have a shop do it. Something might have got botched in the installation. Call monster they will help you out

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I had it installed by Tick Performance, pretty good reputation for T56 upgrades and work on our cars far as I know.

I sent an email to Monster and they replied back saying it is glazing due to slipping the clutch excessively. He recommended aggressive driving to unglaze the clutch, so I have been beating on the car for a couple days.

Hopefully that will fix the squeal.

Do you have to ride the clutch out or alter your clutch technique with your light flywheel?

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    I had it installed by Tick Performance, pretty good reputation for T56 upgrades and work on our cars far as I know.

I sent an email to Monster and they replied back saying it is glazing due to slipping the clutch excessively. He recommended aggressive driving to unglaze the clutch, so I have been beating on the car for a couple days.

Hopefully that will fix the squeal.

Do you have to ride the clutch out or alter your clutch technique with your light flywheel?
    Its an 18lb flywheel not a 15lb so I don't know how much of a difference it would make. Sometimes I rev it up a little more on a hill to keep from bouncing but I think that's because of the six puck design of the stage 3

black
    1998 trans am

We have a customer with a TEX. OZ700 that was squealing on first gear take off. I called TEX. to see what they thought about it, the answer was to do some hard driving on it. I got the customer to come by and take a ride with me.

I took off slow to get a feel of what the clutch was doing to make sure that nothing was wrong. After that I made a hard run with shifting a mid throttle to get it to grip. After that all is good and not a sound.

Thanks,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

2000 Trans Am

Mine does the exact same thing. I have a stage 2 monster as well but the normal flywheel that comes with it. I just chalk it up to having an aftermarket clutch. Other than that I love this thing.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Thanks for the replies on this, sounds like it's not uncommon. After a few days of running hard it has improved the squealing.

Thread Information