Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Spec 2 vs Centerforce clutch

I recently installed a Spec 2 clutch in my Camaro after considering a Centerforce. I have had a Centerforce in the past with great success. My brother in law talked me into the Spec 2, and now I'm beginning to regret it. The new clutch and motor only have about 1800 miles on them, but the clutch still has a bit of "clatter" to it. It does seem to be getting better as the miles pile on, but my question is this; to those of you with Spec clutches, and to those of you who have had Centerforce cluches in the past too, have you had excessive problems with clatter at launch? I'm sure that everything is in adjustment, it's only a minor problem.
    For clarification, when I say "clatter" I mean the way the car shakes a bit at an easy take off from a dead stop and not a hard launch at all, at the point of engagement. Thanks guys for your input.

NBM
    99 TA

Most aftermarket clutches will have "some" chatter, i have no experience with spec clutches, but i had a centerforce DF in my car and it had very little chatter.

However, it didn't hold up worth shit... my car is very near stock and after about 5k miles i had a leak so the trans had to come out again... the clutch looked like SHIT for only having so few miles on it.

I do daily drive the car and crawl in traffic which im sure caused most of the wear but for my needs, the cluch was unacceptable. It did grab nicely and had very little chatter.. but for longevity it wasn't going to make the cut.

I replaced it with an LS7 this year and so far it is way better! It grips better, no chatter, pedal feel is much softer (with the CF clutch it was a workout to push the pedal compared to LS7)

I have heard mixed things about spec clutches... some ppl swear by them and others think they are shit.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    Most aftermarket clutches will have "some" chatter, i have no experience with spec clutches, but i had a centerforce DF in my car and it had very little chatter.

However, it didn't hold up worth shit... my car is very near stock and after about 5k miles i had a leak so the trans had to come out again... the clutch looked like SHIT for only having so few miles on it.

I do daily drive the car and crawl in traffic which im sure caused most of the wear but for my needs, the cluch was unacceptable. It did grab nicely and had very little chatter.. but for longevity it wasn't going to make the cut.

I replaced it with an LS7 this year and so far it is way better! It grips better, no chatter, pedal feel is much softer (with the CF clutch it was a workout to push the pedal compared to LS7)

I have heard mixed things about spec clutches... some ppl swear by them and others think they are shit.
    So you replaced it but it wasn't slipping or what?

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    So you replaced it but it wasn't slipping or what?
    yea i figured it may last another year or 2 if i am lucky.. but the trans was out already and I got a good deal on the LS7 setup so i figured fuck it.. might as well change it now.

Cobra, Z28, GN, F250

I've had both, and I prefer my Centerforce oversize DF clutch. No real chatter to speak of, and has held everything I've thrown at it...

-Will

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Going back a little, my Centerforce DF was in a '91 Turbo Supra puttin' down over 450HP to the rears, and that clutch held up to the abuse with no sweat, no chatter, never a prob, and I beat that car! Only ricer I ever owned...other than tranportation cars I mean. But this was way before being a ricer was even invented..LOL ironically, as I stated, it was my brother in law who talked in into the Spec 2, and he went the other way, he's had nothing but big block, high horse power Pontiacs, and now I send him a 10lb. bag of rice as a joke via UPS for his birthday, as he drives a highly modded Nissan 240SX putting down 340HP to the rears. Nice car if you like that sort of thing.
    It was that Supra that converted him by the way..seriously, he had never been in a turbo'd car before, and yes his 240SX is running big time boost.

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

yea that's normal mine was normal after 500 miles
    my centerforce clutch experience was bad me personally
    those clutches SUCK! I had my stage 2 in for 8 months now
    and it bites as good as new
    www.fquick.com/dillard99
    SLP Lid,SLP Ram Induction,SLP Elbows,Headers Pacesetters Coated LT's, True Dual 3"Custom Pipes No Muffs /Cats,Put Me @ 346hp 358Tq Next TSP's
    Magic3 237in/242ex 112lsa SLP Underdrive,dual timing,Slp Oil Pump, Sphon Sway Bars,6point Roll Cage,Trick Flows =450+rwhp "Sold"

Thread Information