competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

soft clutch pedal

i got a 99 z-28 assuming stock clutch 99k took it to the track last summer and you could smell the clutch after every run then later in the summer i spun my tires down the street and ive had a very soft clutch since but drives fine havent beat on it to hard to know if it slips but it will still bark the tires what do you guys think also what do you think about the gm performance parts clutch at summit racing

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like you may need to change the clutch fluid and bleed it.

Brake (clutch) fluid is hydroscopic, so it absorbs moisture over time from the air. When the moisture in the fluid gets hot (running the car hard) it boils, creating air pockets in the fluid and causing a mushy clutch pedal.

Bleeding is easy - just get a quart of Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, and bleed the system until only clean fluid comes out. This will rid the system of both contaminated fluid and air.

Another thing to check is the slave cylinder. Look for drips coming from between the motor and bellhousing, where the rectangular weep hole is. This indicates a leaking slave, which will also cause a soft pedal.

It is also possible that the pressure plate springs are just worn out. Unlikely, but still possible. Obviously this would require replacing the entire clutch assembly.

If you are going to do the entire job and change the clutch, I highly reccommend the GM LS7 clutch kit from the SDPC website. For under $500, you get the entire clutch set and flywheel, and it maintains stock driveability while increasing holding capacity by about 150HP. I also reccommend the '01-'02 GM slave cylinder, as well as a new GM master cylinder, both of which you can get from RPM Speed or the WS6 store. Thats where I bought mine, and they had very good prices.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Brake (clutch) fluid is hydroscopic, so it absorbs moisture over time from the air. When the moisture in the fluid gets hot (running the car hard) it boils, creating air pockets in the fluid and causing a mushy clutch pedal.

Bleeding is easy - just get a quart of Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid, and bleed the system until only clean fluid comes out. This will rid the system of both contaminated fluid and air.

Another thing to check is the slave cylinder. Look for drips coming from between the motor and bellhousing, where the rectangular weep hole is. This indicates a leaking slave, which will also cause a soft pedal.

It is also possible that the pressure plate springs are just worn out. Unlikely, but still possible. Obviously this would require replacing the entire clutch assembly.

If you are going to do the entire job and change the clutch, I highly reccommend the GM LS7 clutch kit from the SDPC website. For under $500, you get the entire clutch set and flywheel, and it maintains stock driveability while increasing holding capacity by about 150HP. I also reccommend the '01-'02 GM slave cylinder, as well as a new GM master cylinder, both of which you can get from RPM Speed or the WS6 store. Thats where I bought mine, and they had very good prices.
    i thought the fluid might have boiled but someone told me that you have to take the tranny out to bleed it but that cant be true where do you bleed it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    i thought the fluid might have boiled but someone told me that you have to take the tranny out to bleed it but that cant be true where do you bleed it
    Completely false.

Follow the clutch line to where it quick connects into the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing. The bleeder screw is directly above that quick connect fitting. You won't be able to see it, but you can feel it. All you need is a 1/4" drive ratchet with an 8mm socket and you can open and close it easily.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Completely false.

Follow the clutch line to where it quick connects into the slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing. The bleeder screw is directly above that quick connect fitting. You won't be able to see it, but you can feel it. All you need is a 1/4" drive ratchet with an 8mm socket and you can open and close it easily.
    good deal i get home in a few days i will try it thanks

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

i also checked out that site and it looks like the same clutch but a $100 cheaper im going to call them when i get more money just bought eibach lowing springs kyb shocks and struts slp flow pack throtle body bypass kit zo6 rims and kumho escata 2754017

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

Mine was the Slave Cylinder in 99. I broke the shifter off in my hand trying to get into 1st.

BTW, I love my Kumho's...ECSTA V700 - 305/30R18's.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    Mine was the Slave Cylinder in 99. I broke the shifter off in my hand trying to get into 1st.

BTW, I love my Kumho's...ECSTA V700 - 305/30R18's.
    some times mine is hard to get into first and reverse

pewter
    1999 Camaro SS

there's a mod you can do to get to the bleeder that involves drilling a small hole in your floorpan. it makes it 1,000 times easier to reach and work with, and bleeding your clutch isn't just a one time thing, so it pays dividends in the future

here's a writeup:

http://www.lsxnation.net/showthread.php?t=2226

Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

some times mine is hard to get into first and reverse

That is your slave cylinder...that s how it starts. I miked mine out for a few months once I realized I needed to use my foot to pull the clutch all the way back-up. I was waiting to have a few hundred dollars more so I could go ahead and do the clutch. Consider changing your clutch too!

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

Quote Originally Posted by BowTied View Post
    That is your slave cylinder...that s how it starts. I miked mine out for a few months once I realized I needed to use my foot to pull the clutch all the way back-up. I was waiting to have a few hundred dollars more so I could go ahead and do the clutch. Consider changing your clutch too!
    i want to change the clutch but its all about the benjamins right now, i was thinking about the gm performace parts clutch

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i want to change the clutch but its all about the benjamins right now, i was thinking about the gm performace parts clutch
    As long as you don't have H/C or F/I, go with the LS7 clutch. Its great for stock or bolt on/cam cars. It retains almost stock pedal effort, but it has much better feel to it and it grabs much harder.

SDPC sells the complete kit (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel) for $475, which is a great deal by any standards.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

As long as you don't have H/C or F/I, go with the LS7 clutch. Its great for stock or bolt on/cam cars. It retains almost stock pedal effort, but it has much better feel to it and it grabs much harder.

SDPC sells the complete kit (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel) for $475, which is a great deal by any standards.
    im going to look into it when i have some more cash thanks for the info

Thread Information