Thread: skipshift

pewter
    99 z28

skipshift

hey guys...have a question about my m6 in my 99....when i first bought the car, i was convinced the guy before put the skipshift eliminator in it. but the more i drive it and become used to everything, i dont know. my car locks me out of second gear when the skip shift light comes on, but i can go straight to third every time. correct me if im wrong, but isnt skipshift supposed to kick you straight to fourth? any ideas? i just installed my hurst tonight, i was hoping thatd care of that...great shifter though

sonnyred
    You said yours goes into third gear with shift light on. I'h luckier then you. Mine goes into second with the light on.I'm not fixing it.Just lucky i guess.

I'm an A4 guy, but I thought it's supposed to lock you out of 2nd and go to 4th too? Maybe it has something to do with the speed? I'd look under there and see if it's the SLP eliminator, if it is I'd do the !CAGS radio shack resistor thing on installuniversity. Neither one should lock you out of 2nd.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

The skip shift locks out 2nd gear when activated. Since you're pulling down on the stick, it guides you into 4th. However, you are not locked out of 3rd, you just have to stop and turn the stick back up into 3rd. I've done this when I didn't want to hit 4th just yet. Other times, pulling it down into 4th worked just right for the traffic. Then there have been those times when I wish it was eliminated. What I'd really like is a switch on my console where I can disable/enable the CAGS.

If your skip shift light comes on but it is not activated in your transmission, then you must have the little plug-in CAGS eliminator which tricks the ECM into thinking it's working so it doesn't throw a SES code. With tuning software, you can turn off the CAGS from within the ECM, which will disable both the CAGS and the skip shift light in the dash.

sonnyred
    Iknow i bought my car new,so i'll take a look and see if somebody did me a favor and disconnected my cags.slp would'nt do that would they?

pewter
    99 z28

hmm...i dont think i have a skipshift eliminator installed. where does the eliminator install at? i'll take a peak tomorrow to see if i have the little thing or not. ok....here's another question. i know someone has posted about this before, but i can't find it anywhere. i just installed my hurst, but now somehow my shifter is making noise. if i hold on to it with my hand the whole time, it wont vibrate?..and it doesnt make any noise. sorry for the repeat posting of this....thanks for the help

www.installuniversity.com has pics/directions on installing both the SLP elim and radio shack resistor.

pet_monk
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    The skip shift locks out 2nd gear when activated. Since you're pulling down on the stick, it guides you into 4th. However, you are not locked out of 3rd, you just have to stop and turn the stick back up into 3rd. I've done this when I didn't want to hit 4th just yet. Other times, pulling it down into 4th worked just right for the traffic. Then there have been those times when I wish it was eliminated. What I'd really like is a switch on my console where I can disable/enable the CAGS.

If your skip shift light comes on but it is not activated in your transmission, then you must have the little plug-in CAGS eliminator which tricks the ECM into thinking it's working so it doesn't throw a SES code. With tuning software, you can turn off the CAGS from within the ECM, which will disable both the CAGS and the skip shift light in the dash.
    Yes...

Everyonce in a while mine would act like it was locking me out of third, but I think it was just me getting used to the 6 Speed... too used to 5 speed.

Put the SLP Skip Shift Eliminator on mine. Sure you can do the radio shack resistor, but this seemed much more weather tight to me. Electical tape moves with Temp changes cracks over time. And 30 bucks is only one bottle the Grey Goose Vodka... I made it to the next weekend just fine

I recommend the Skip Shift Elim mod, because you feel you have more control over the vehicle. Had mine done for three months and no probs yet.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Nice job! Glad you made it to the next weekend just fine!

Thread Information