Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Skip Shift Eliminator

Hey all,

If any of you guys have been reading the forums, you noticed that I've had cold running transmission engagement problems. Is it possible that my Skip Shift function is only partly moving to lock out my 2-3-4 shifts when its cold? I had it going into second this morning , I thought it was fully in and it "popped" back out. Could it be stuck part way out instead of all the way? I also want to eliminate skip shift anyways (The Trans builder who rebuilt it to my eliminator that the previous owner had out). Whats the most economical/best quality/least invasive product to do that???

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Hey all,

If any of you guys have been reading the forums, you noticed that I've had cold running transmission engagement problems. Is it possible that my Skip Shift function is only partly moving to lock out my 2-3-4 shifts when its cold? I had it going into second this morning , I thought it was fully in and it "popped" back out. Could it be stuck part way out instead of all the way? I also want to eliminate skip shift anyways (The Trans builder who rebuilt it to my eliminator that the previous owner had out). Whats the most economical/best quality/least invasive product to do that???
    a $0.10 resistor that you can buy at radio shack...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Tools & parts you will need:
    1. 2.2K (2200 Ω), 1/2 watt resistor*
    2. Electrical Tape
    3. Plastic Zip Tie
    4. Floor jack and stands or a set of ramps
    1. You will need to raise the front of your car so you can get to the transmission on the under side of the car. We chose to use our set of rhino ramps instead of using a floor jack and stands. Be sure you chock the rear wheels and set the emergency brake!

2. Get underneath the car on the driver's side and locate the transmission (see blue arrow in Figure 1). Figure 1 was taken from underneath at the rear of the car looking forward.
    Figure 1
    3. Locate the skip shift solenoid up high on the transmission and toward the front of the car (see blue arrow in Figure 2). This solenoid will be located closer to the engine than any of the other two (2) solenoids found on the drivers side of the transmission. Looking at Figure 2 and the transmission you should be able to locate the solenoid by looking for identifying marks.
    Figure 2
    4. Unplug the solenoid by gently lifting the tab and pulling back on it. Take your resistor and bend it in the shape of a "U" (see Figure 3).
    Figure 3
    6. Now grab the female connector (the end that plugs into the wire) and place each end of the resistor into each receptacle on the connector (see Figure 4 below). Be sure to bend the resistor back so you can tape it up a little easier.
    Figure 4
    7. Then you can use electrical tape or equivalent to seal the connection from water and other weathering (see Figure 5). Just make sure you can remove whatever you use to seal the connection with just in case you want to remove it for a dealer visit or other reason.
    Figure 5
    8. You will need to tape up (seal) the connector end on the transmission (male end) up just like you did the female end. You can use electrical tape, equivalent or plug (see Figure 6). Just make sure you can remove whatever you use to seal the connection with just in case you want to remove it for a dealer visit or other reason.
    Figure 6
    9. Now zip tie the loose line to a near by line to keep it from dangling free and possibly being ripped off or damaged.
    10. Remove the car from the jack stands and take your car for a short drive to make sure it works. You will want to pull out slowly and make the skip shift light activate so you can take the car to second to make sure it works. Your skip shift light will still activate so do not be alarmed when it does. The solenoid should not activate though making it possible to go straight to second gear.
    If it fails then you have done something wrong. The most common mistake made is to unplug the reverse lockout solenoid and place the resistor in that connector. This will make it almost impossible to shift into reverse. If you have this problem reconnect the solenoid and start from the beginning and find the correct solenoid.
    Comments: This is a good modification to your car. You no longer have to worry about going to fourth and skipping second. This is especially useful if you pull out into traffic sluggishly and then realize you need some oomph to get clear of a car you did not see. The light will continue to function on the dash but this is not a concern as discussed earlier so just ignore it.
    This modification does NOT look very professional and most dealerships will notice the addition when they work on your transmission. This is the best reason for buying an aftermarket setup. However, not all of us have money trees in our backyards.

Black
    F250

Wow, im looking at getting another ls1 soon and I know the skip shift hasnt been touched yet... If I get this car you just saved me $35 (cheapest eliminator i found). THANKS!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Or buy this from my for $15 shipped http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLE-21008/

I have a spare laying around. All you do is unplug the wires from the trans and plug this into it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I'm glad to see that they don't cost 100 dollars or something crazy like that. I'm still really curious if anyone ran into problems with the Skip Shift function only partly moving to lock out my 2-3-4 shifts when its cold? I'd still like to take skip shift out of the picture, but I think its important to know if this problem is symptimatic of skip shift or something else as well.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I'm glad to see that they don't cost 100 dollars or something crazy like that. I'm still really curious if anyone ran into problems with the Skip Shift function only partly moving to lock out my 2-3-4 shifts when its cold? I'd still like to take skip shift out of the picture, but I think its important to know if this problem is symptimatic of skip shift or something else as well.
    i've had mine since 1999... works great to this day with no problems at all...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

popping out of gear usually means a synchro problem. Could also be a bent fork or worn/missing shift fork pads.
    What gear did it pop out of and how often does it happen?

Also, skip shift will only lock you out of 2nd and 3rd. You should be ok to use 4th
    Last edited by Cutlass; 04-24-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: fixed my misinformation

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    popping out of gear usually means a synchro problem. Could also be a bent fork or worn/missing shift fork pads.
    What gear did it pop out of and how often does it happen?

Also, skip shift will only lock you out of 2nd and 3rd. You should be ok to use 4th
    My problem with the popping is second gear. When its cold I feel that there is a "blocking" or resistance going into second, even when the skip shift light isn't on, or I think I have moved the throw far enough in gear and and pulls back out. I've had it four years. Ive had the internals done twice because of similar problems (once ofter the clutch master and slave died) and the clutch replaced once. Its not that I dont know how to drive a stick, and I really dont drive it too hard. When its warm, its fine.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 04-24-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fixed my misinfo in the quote

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Hello All, Could some one please explain to me what the skipshift is all about and how it works please? I just bought a 99 TA with a 6speed and could not figure out why when (only sometimes) I shift from 1st it will go right to 4th then somtimes it will go right to 2nd.. I was thinking it was me until a saw the skip shift elimantor on summit. Its driving me crazy Ive been driving sticks for ever and never came across this. Looking forward to chating and learning all about my new toy..Thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

To ensure good fuel economy and compliance with federal economy standards, SECOND and THIRD gear are inhibited when shifting out of FIRST gear under the following conditions:

• Coolant temperature is above 50°C (122°F).
    • Vehicle speed is between 20 and 29 km/h (12 and 19 mph).
    • Throttle is opened 35 percent or less.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Thanks for the info. Skip shift elimantor will allow it to shift through all gears all the time??

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes.

Thread Information