Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Short shifter question

I know it's been killed, but my search hasn't come up with many results. I have a Hurst shifter in my car (not sure if it's the stock one or not). First off, how could I tell if it was the factory one, or if it is after market? And the other question I had, was could I use a short throw shifter, with this Hurst handle? The throw isn't to bad, but I wouldn't mind it being shorter. But I like the looks of the Hurst handle. Is it possible?

Sorry for the newb question,

Chris

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

No you do not have a Hurst shifter unless one was installed. An aftermarket will have adj. stops and the bass of the shifter will be made of thick aluminum. The factory Hursts had a gold steel base with a tall black handle with a rubber bushing to soften the shifts, which turned it into a real slush box. If you don't want to change the shifter, you can mount in an aftermarket handle.

Here are some pictures of the factory option Hurst shifter I removed from my 2001 just for you.

I've included a view of my very cheap short stick from ebaymotors. It cost $20 and is unfinished; but certainly worth the price and gives an ideal throw that is short but positive.
    Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size Click for full size
    The Hurst knob was difficult to remove. If it doesn't unscrew easily then don't try to force it unless you have the handle in a vice or gripped so you won't tear the adhesion within the isolastic compartment. Even though most people feel the rubber mounting is worthless, it does eliminate buzzing and vibration. If you sell the car one day you may want to keep your custom shifter and return it to original.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I did like the rubberized handle. I thought it was easier to shift but I prefer the solid precise handle that clicks into position.

Race cars have a clutch redss454's Avatar

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I don't have teh Hurst shifter. I have the chrome handle with black Hurst ball. This whole short throw shifter kind of "throws" me as I came from an M-21, so anything shorter then that seems short.

Thanks again,

Chris

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

what's so bad about the hurst shifter that comes with the car? Does anyone else think that an aftermarket shifter is better. I'm sure the pro 5.0s and hurst super comps are but I'm not willing to spend 170 bucks. What do you guys think of the cheaper aftermarket ones?

I didn't notice what others seem to when changing from my Hurst to the Pro5.0. What really made a difference was just changing the stick. When I bought the cheapo ebay short stick for $20 it made a big difference and the car was more fun to drive.

When I thought to do one better and buy the Pro5.0 I felt no gain than with the Hurst with a short stick; but that is just me.
    Last edited by 01Z28M6; 01-29-2007 at 07:40 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by redss454 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess I don't have teh Hurst shifter. I have the chrome handle with black Hurst ball. This whole short throw shifter kind of "throws" me as I came from an M-21, so anything shorter then that seems short.

Thanks again,

Chris
    Its sounds like you have the Hurst Billit Plus Shifter. It comes with a chrome handle and a black shifter ball.

Thread Information