White
    1999 Transam WS6

Shifting problem, still occurs, new info.

My old thread can be seen here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

This morning while driving to a friends house I realized, if I shift hard/fast enough I go through this "notchy barrier", but a loud banging/grinding noise occurs. So, we decided to bleed my clutch after installing the new 02s and finally aligned the borla exhaust tips that we were planning on. My hydraulics did have air in it according to my friend which was doing the bleeding from underneath, but this did not help my notchy/grinding(when pushing it hard) shifting.

All this goes away if when I shift, I don't let go of the clutch and try to shift again. Example:

1) Press clutch down
    2) Shift into any gear which is notchy/grinding if pushed hard and fast.(its as if a barrier is before the actual gear)
    3) DO NOT RELEASE CLUTCH
    4) Shift into any gear which is ultra smooth and brisk, almost as if the shifter just gets sucked into place... I ALWAYS WANT THIS FEELING!!!

The car is a '99 with 45k miles, stock shifter(but I doubt a shifter would magically get rid of a banging/grinding sound when shifting hard)

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

I know it's an old post but came across it doing a search. I have the exact same issue and I did change from the stock shifter to a B&M with no change. Changed the fluid and the transmission mount as well. Any other suggestions to check that are external to the trans? Car is a 98 and 38K miles with a couple of road course track days each year for the last 6 years or so it's been used hard, but I don't abuse it.

I've had a car where the synchros went bad (Ford, shocker right) and this doesn't feel the same.

black on black
    2000 ws6 ram air

synchronizer s need replaced

White
    1998 Trans Am

I would say it sound like the syncro's as well. The fbody t56 has several.week points from what u have seen.from a lot of my friends cars. One otherthing does it still do it after it has warmed up? Had a.similar issue in my 96 Mustang GT T5 before the cat warmed up a little. That is my I miss cable clutches. Usually 9 times out.of.10 on any manual it is a syncro problem.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yes, it still does it when the car is warmed up. It is much worse when it's cold outside and stays bad in the cold.

Thanks for the advice. Anyway to know for sure it's synchros without dropping the tranny and opening it up?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by moltkewhy View Post
    Yes, it still does it when the car is warmed up. It is much worse when it's cold outside and stays bad in the cold.

Thanks for the advice. Anyway to know for sure it's synchros without dropping the tranny and opening it up?
    Put the rear of your car on jackstands.

Start the car up with the clutch held in, and put it in 1st gear. If the wheels start turning, your clutch is dragging and therefore you have a clutch problem.

If the clutch is not dragging and you still experience gear clash when engaging different ratios, time for a rebuild.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Easy enough. Thanks Bandit

White
    1999 Transam WS6

A Tick Master cylinder fixed most of my problems, but I have a bad 4th syncro

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I would say it sound like the syncro's as well. The fbody t56 has several.week points from what u have seen.from a lot of my friends cars. One otherthing does it still do it after it has warmed up? Had a.similar issue in my 96 Mustang GT T5 before the cat warmed up a little. That is my I miss cable clutches. Usually 9 times out.of.10 on any manual it is a syncro problem.
    I have a smilar problem when the engine isnnt warmed all the way up. When the temperature is cold outside, I just let it warm up to normal operating temperature before I drive it (wastes gas). This is even after I had a rebuild after the synchros needed replacing. I figure after this tranny goes I'm buying one of those overkill Tremec T-56's. I think they have the same ratios available and Im not dealing with another rebuild (and I dont even drive it hard, lol).

Thread Information