Thread: Shifter HELP

Medium Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A-7.0L-6spd

Shifter HELP

i have a 6spd and im gonna get a short throw shifter but dont know which one to get. any one here have one or have had diff. brands. im thinkin about the pro 5.0, but was wondering if anyone has one or a b&m ripper or the hurst

NBM
    '99 Z28

I have a B&M ripper and I love it. I've had it for 4 years no problems with it.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

i have the pro, i love it.

Pewter
    Camaro 2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    i have the pro, i love it.
    +1

My suggestion would be to drive a couple cars with different shifters.

I've had everything from stock, to the Hurst billet plus, to the factory Hurst,,,and driven cars with the pro 5.0.

I didn't like much of anything about any of the aftermarket billet shifters. I had better luck with a bone stock sloppy shifter,,,and actually went back to that after trying a couple of billet pieces.

Our car currently now has the factory Hurst shifter, slightly shorter throws than the stock shifter,,,but still sort of has that stock factory feel,,,,and my wife can live with it...

Really, it's all personal preference. Find what you like and stick it in there.

Medium Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A-7.0L-6spd

yeah thats what i figured. i've drivin a car with the pro 5.0 and it felt nice. i just didnt want a short throw shifter that felt lke too short of a shift you know.....

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I tried the stock(Non-Hurst), Hurst Billet, then Pro 5.0 w/short stick, then Pro 5.0 without short stick.

I stuck with the Pro 5.0 without the short stick. I really like the way it feels and to be honest is much easier than the stock shifter. The stock just had too much throw, kind of felt like I was driving a truck. The T-56 for some reason though didn't shorten up as much as I thought it would with the Pro 5.0. In my opinion shifting this tranny isn't as smooth as I like it. I am happy with my pro 5.0 though. One thing I did though to keep it quiet, I coated the stick with rubber dip, you can find it at home depot or something like that. I also wrapped the shifter knob threads in teflon tape. With all of this on it made it quiet and it didn't vibrate. It makes a ton of noise compared to the stock shifter if you don't do any of these additions. Goodluck though!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    The T-56 for some reason though didn't shorten up as much as I thought it would with the Pro 5.0. In my opinion shifting this tranny isn't as smooth as I like it.
    Yeah thats just it, the T-56 is has kind of a notchy, not so smooth shift feel to it. You put a short throw in and it gets worse. There will definitely not be any limp wristed shifting after you put a short shifter in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yeah thats just it, the T-56 is has kind of a notchy, not so smooth shift feel to it. You put a short throw in and it gets worse. There will definitely not be any limp wristed shifting after you put a short shifter in there.
    Ya it's a feel I will never get used to. Keeps me from being completely comfortable when getting aggressive.

Medium Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A-7.0L-6spd

yeah. the short throw i felt in another car felt weird. like its too short. like you dont shift all the way or somethin.

Quote Originally Posted by SHovV View Post
    yeah. the short throw i felt in another car felt weird. like its too short. like you dont shift all the way or somethin.
    Ya but that's the idea behind it. You want the throw to be as short as possible for the quickest shift. Unfortunately none of the shifters get rid of the notchy feel of the T56. It's just the nature of the trans.
    I've always been a muncie guy and love the butter smooth feel they give with a nice shifter. I don't think I'll ever get used to these T56's.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

I have the SLP short shifter, it is better than the stock but idk how it stacks up to the others..
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had 3 different shifters, Hurst, Pro 5.0 and B&M to me they were all notchy and thats from the tranny but got worse after installing the shifters. The Pro 5.0 is awesome quality but compared to the other 2 shifters the throw wasnt as short as i thought it would be. Hurst i kept missing 3rd gear with it, B&M was the worse as far as how robotic it was changing gears but still i didnt mind and a good SS, it came on the car when i bought it so i was fairly happy with it. I have a question that this subject brings up on the B&M can i change out the stick to a shorter stick? i know you can do that with the Hurst and Pro 5.0(angled) but since the B&M came on the car never looked at it to see if its possible.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I have the pro 5.0....i like it. The notchy trans was a little more noticeable after though. Trans getting built right now , hoping it will be a little better after it is built.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Have you guys thought about MGW shifter?

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ive had 3 different shifters, Hurst, Pro 5.0 and B&M to me they were all notchy and thats from the tranny but got worse after installing the shifters. The Pro 5.0 is awesome quality but compared to the other 2 shifters the throw wasnt as short as i thought it would be. Hurst i kept missing 3rd gear with it, B&M was the worse as far as how robotic it was changing gears but still i didnt mind and a good SS, it came on the car when i bought it so i was fairly happy with it. I have a question that this subject brings up on the B&M can i change out the stick to a shorter stick? i know you can do that with the Hurst and Pro 5.0(angled) but since the B&M came on the car never looked at it to see if its possible.
    I've had a B&M in both of my M6 cars always wanted to try a Pro 5.0 though, cause of the shorter stick the B&M is one solid billet stick from the threads to the ball ( makes it nice and noisy ) not two peice like the others. I thought about taking it out and seeing if I could cut it shorter and rethread it but you know how much of a bitch it is to get the console on over it and the threaded part may be larger than the rest of the stick can't remember.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Then ill pass on the B&M thanks for the info BMJ99Z28, ill probably just get the Pro since ive had a good experience with it and just change the stick to a shorter angled one like i did before. I just havent done it yet since im dumping soo much money on HP modifications and im fairly satisfied with the stock shifter with a shorter short stick, lol. Just the throws are still long ofcourse so gotta get to that soon and get a aftermarket short shifter.

Thread Information