Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Rookie

Royal Purple in your M6?

Is anybody running RP in their manual? What are the advantages or dis-advantages of RP in the M6?

camaro_ss_97_
    well not sure in the m6 but in the a4 i am very pleased

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

dextron III ONLY! as advised by the t-56 manufacturer. However, you do have the brass synchros in yours compared to the carbon ones in teh 98-00

pet_monk
    RP make a Dex III equivalant and will work just fine. I was going to use Mobil 1, but my order got cancelled because of availability. So I am going with RP in my 01 SS. For more information than one can handle about oils read the Oil Junkie thread in General Help. Many people have excellent info in there.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Royal Purple all around. VERY PLEASED!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Royal Purple all around to. Tranny is perfectly fine. Have about 15,000 miles on the tranny with RP. Very pleased with all the oil, best out there in my opinion.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

In 2001 horse power TV took a stock 98 SS with 70,xxx miles on it. Base dyno was 301 at the rear wheel, they drained engine tranny & rear diff and put royal purple in. Next dyno run the car put down 310.7 at the rear wheel. Less friction through the drive train = more power to the ground.

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSGUN
    In 2001 horse power TV took a stock 98 SS with 70,xxx miles on it. Base dyno was 301 at the rear wheel, they drained engine tranny & rear diff and put royal purple in. Next dyno run the car put down 310.7 at the rear wheel. Less friction through the drive train = more power to the ground.

That is such a ridiculously small amount - there is no way you can attribute that to the fluid.

I could run my car on the dyno 5 times in a row, 5 minutes apart each time, and come up with different numbers, that's just the way it is.

Adding different fluid won't change anything. Stick with Dexron III at $3 a bottle and call it a day.

The only gains from using RP will be due to the extra weight reduction seen in your wallet from over-spending .
    BTW
    All T56s have a brass reverse blocker ring
    Early F car T56s have carbon particle-lined rings
    Early LS1s have paper-lined blocker rings ( VERY oil -type sensitive)
    Why risk damage/ problems? Save money & use a plain old Dex III.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Rookie, everyone has their opinion and a lot of people always think what they have or are using is the fastest or the best. I'm not claiming RP is the best just that I've been using it for 4yrs and have been pleased with my results. The dollar and twenty cents more I spend per qt for a better product I save on in labor because I do it myself. You'll figure out what works best for you in the end.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Wait a minute here. The owner's manual says you don't need to change the M6 fluid. How often are y'all doing this?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

You're right you don't have to change it. I did it at 8,700 miles and I have 18,100 miles on it now. Don't plan to do it again.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I think the owner's manual also says you don't need to change the plugs until 100k miles, but the stock plugs significantly deteriorate in performance long before that. Although it is tough stuff, transmission fliud does not last forever, but likewise "weakens" with use. Your change interval depends heavily on your driving, but certainly don't let it stay in there forever.

red
    73 Z28

I first ran into RP when a friend began to use it in his race car. He was the only one who could make it through a whole season without rebuilding his tranny...good enuf for me.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Yeah, I know Royal Purple is great stuff. I've used it past cars of mine. But I was dumbfounded when I flipped through the manual of my car for the first time (I just got it a few weeks ago) and it said "not necessary to change the fluid in the transmission..."! I don't think I'll change it. I'm gonna put a few mods into her but it'll be mostly bolt-on suspension bits and other little things. My Vette-lust will take over before I have enough time to really get into anything on the Camaro.

C6...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9
    Wait a minute here. The owner's manual says you don't need to change the M6 fluid. How often are y'all doing this?
    Umm My manual says its supposed to be changed every 30k for the M-6, sooner if driving in hilly, mountianish areas. I use amsoil everywhere and the only noticable difference for the tranny was a 20 degree reduction in temp

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSGUN
    They should of done an oil change to convention first, dynoed it, and then switched to RP.. but like the gal said earlier. Dyno numbers that small change variably every minute

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    Umm My manual says its supposed to be changed every 30k for the M-6, sooner if driving in hilly, mountianish areas. I use amsoil everywhere and the only noticable difference for the tranny was a 20 degree reduction in temp
    I'll check again. But I'm 99% sure it says I don't need to change it.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    That is such a ridiculously small amount - there is no way you can attribute that to the fluid.

I could run my car on the dyno 5 times in a row, 5 minutes apart each time, and come up with different numbers, that's just the way it is.

Adding different fluid won't change anything. Stick with Dexron III at $3 a bottle and call it a day.
    I run Mercon V, it has more conditioners than Dexron III. Plus its semi-synthetic. I have run it in my race built T-5 and is as smooth running as can be. I even run it in my Power Steering Pump. While working as a Mechanic at my local Police shop, we had a high rate of Power Steering Pump failures, when I replaced them, I ran Mercon V and have yet to have one fail and still run perfect with 80,000 miles on them. Plus they dont groan like Fords are notorious to do. It also offers superior shudder protection and exceeds GM specs. It doesnt become hard to shift when its 20 degrees outside and the fluid is cold. -Tim
    Last edited by PaganEgyptian; 11-22-2005 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information