Magnetic Red Metallic
    2001 Corvette

reverse solenoid lock-out?

My six-speed goes into reverse way too easily. This is particulary inconvenient when I'm making the 4-5 shift at high speeds. At first I thought this problem was related to the aftermarket shifter (I think a B&M). There is no lock-out and 5th and reverse seem very close together. But now after some research it looks like a failed solenoid would only make it more difficult to get into reverse, not easier? The car is 2001 Corvette. Is it possible that when the computer was tuned (408ci/458rwhp) the reverse solenoid was set to be energized all the time?

I appreciate any advice. Loud grinding when I'm looking for 5th gear makes me sad.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i cant imagine why someone would want the solenoid open, that'd suck going for fifth and hittiing reverse and dumping the clutch

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i don know that mine shorted out in the closed postion and ii had to look for the short and i finally found it, maybe you should do the same i don think it might not have to have a steady current to keep it open it could just be open closed with a impulse of current,

look for a short

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

the wiring on our transmissions is very loose and kinda hangs around so it didnt supprise me when i found that my soleniod wire coating was rubbed through

Cobalt blue
    2002 WS6 Trans AM 6 speed

the Ram components are excellent quality, I have their billet aluminum flywheel with steel friction insert/ diaphragm pressure plat & their bronze faced extra heavy duty "street" clutch disc in my SB 406 chevy (617 rwhp/520lbs torque) '76 Datsun 280 Z. It has turned the Borg Warner Super T-10 4speed manual flawlessly for 4 or five years. light pedal pressure, velvet smooth, ultimate grip. if you are gonna spend the money on a light flywheel or a stock one, you should change the clutch too, especially the disc. always replace the throwout bearing, if the trans comes out.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

I always wondered what happened if you were allowed to go into reverse while going like 50 mph....since you're here talking about it I guess the car doesn't blow up or anything like that. But what exactly happens? Like loud grinding until you switch gears into a driving gear?

Magnetic Red Metallic
    2001 Corvette

In my experience, I have never actually engaged reverse. As soon as you push over towards the reverse position the sound of gear teeth bouncing off of each other always causes me release. I would guess that at some low speed the synchronizers could make this a smooth shift, or a big right arm could force it at higher speeds.

But back to the original question-

In order for reverse to even be accessible, the lock-out solenoid is sent an electical charge (I think based on the clutch being in below 5 mph in a proper functioning car). Since my reverse is always accessible, is it possible that some bad computer programming was done? If the solenoid was broken, I would have the opposite problem (always locked out of reverse).

On the C5, where on the tranny is this physically located?

White
    V6 S/C Commodore

Quote Originally Posted by kirkwoodjc View Post
    My six-speed goes into reverse way too easily. This is particulary inconvenient when I'm making the 4-5 shift at high speeds. At first I thought this problem was related to the aftermarket shifter (I think a B&M). There is no lock-out and 5th and reverse seem very close together. But now after some research it looks like a failed solenoid would only make it more difficult to get into reverse, not easier? The car is 2001 Corvette. Is it possible that when the computer was tuned (408ci/458rwhp) the reverse solenoid was set to be energized all the time?

I appreciate any advice. Loud grinding when I'm looking for 5th gear makes me sad.
    I work on these transmissions every day and the Holdens in Australia have the reverse soliniod wired so they can only activate at low speed. When I fit these transmissions I wire the solinoid up to the brake light switch, so you can only get reverse with your foot on the brake pedal. Mal

Thread Information