Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Question Reverse keeps popping???

Just bought this 99 TA with LS1 and M6. Car seems to run very well but I am having some issues when I use reverse. When I am backing up, it likes to pop out of reverse for some reason. I can't push it any further into gear and if I put pressure on the shifter while I'm backing up, it will grind the gears when it pops out (I hate that sound)!! Is there any adjustment on these trannys??? I'm used to working on the old Muncie's, so I have no clue on this newer stuff.

Btw, the rest of the forward gears seem to work fine and the clutch seems OK too.

Any ideas????

And boy do I hate the "skip shift" thing!!!!!! I gotta get a tuner and remove it!!!

Chris

Red
    Chevy THR Truck

My 99 camero does the exact same thing. Not sure why maybe someone can anwers the question for us. Iam scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    Just bought this 99 TA with LS1 and M6. Car seems to run very well but I am having some issues when I use reverse. When I am backing up, it likes to pop out of reverse for some reason. I can't push it any further into gear and if I put pressure on the shifter while I'm backing up, it will grind the gears when it pops out (I hate that sound)!! Is there any adjustment on these trannys??? I'm used to working on the old Muncie's, so I have no clue on this newer stuff.

Btw, the rest of the forward gears seem to work fine and the clutch seems OK too.

Any ideas????

And boy do I hate the "skip shift" thing!!!!!! I gotta get a tuner and remove it!!!

Chris

Not sure about the tranny never had a reverse problem, but you don't need a tuner to get rid of the skip shift. You can buy a skip shift eliminator from various sponsors on this site. Costs around $30 and takes about 15 minutes to install.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Not sure about the tranny never had a reverse problem, but you don't need a tuner to get rid of the skip shift. You can buy a skip shift eliminator from various sponsors on this site. Costs around $30 and takes about 15 minutes to install.

Thanks.

I am actually getting it taken care of from LSxTune.com along with some other issues I have.

Chris

black trans am

might have a bent shift fork, or a bent main shaft.. might get lucky and be a shift stick on the wrong side of the shifter and hitting the console and not leting it go all the way in gear... if thats whats going on it can trash ur syncros for 1,2,R or if its all ready grinding going in to second it might be the syncro throwing it out of r

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Mine also does that in reverse. Some times I will get lucky and I can feel it pop into reverse and it works fine. A lot of people tell me its a bent shift fork

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2K_CAMARO View Post
    Mine also does that in reverse. Some times I will get lucky and I can feel it pop into reverse and it works fine. A lot of people tell me its a bent shift fork

OK, stupid question, but if it's a bent shift fork I assume the tranny will need to come out to fix it??? There's no way to access it any other way is there???

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Piranhaz View Post
    OK, stupid question, but if it's a bent shift fork I assume the tranny will need to come out to fix it??? There's no way to access it any other way is there???
    I wish I knew the question to that, I'm not sure. I'm going to say yes, but maybe someone else will post up, if they know

Nope , it must come out and appart. There is no adjusting this out of it. Reverse problems are generally caused by crashing reverse at a forward speed( missing/ over shifting) after a few whacks the reverse fork pads wear/ the fork bends and/ or the reverse driven gear clutch teeth peen off.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 30thbird View Post
    Nope , it must come out and appart. There is no adjusting this out of it. Reverse problems are generally caused by crashing reverse at a forward speed( missing/ over shifting) after a few whacks the reverse fork pads wear/ the fork bends and/ or the reverse driven gear clutch teeth peen off.

Looks like a winter project then : (

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

this would happen to my 02 SS almost everytime i put it in reverse and it was just a bent shift fork. the dealership covered it under warranty, i guess the stock shift fork is aluminum and it bending was a common problem, they put in a steel one a it never happened again.

my old 01 ws6 did this in reverse and 5th it was fricken annoying

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    this would happen to my 02 SS almost everytime i put it in reverse and it was just a bent shift fork. the dealership covered it under warranty, i guess the stock shift fork is aluminum and it bending was a common problem, they put in a steel one a it never happened again.
    So I would assume if I called a dealer they could get me a steel fork instead of the aluminum??? I was under the car tonight and it really doesn't look too bad to get the tranny out, but I'm not sure I'd wanna tear into it myself. Maybe just get it out and then take it somewhere.........

Does anyone know if there are any sites that show schematics of the tranny (exploded view would be perfect)???

Chris

The reverse fork is not aluminum & never was, its iron. It is possible to bend it , especially if a jump-uot condition is allowed to exist for a time without addressing it.There is no reverse fork "upgrade"
    There is a free ( downloadable)PDF manual at the Tremec site.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

The reverse fork is not aluminum & never was, its iron. It is possible to bend it , especially if a jump-uot condition is allowed to exist for a time without addressing it.There is no reverse fork "upgrade"
    Thanks!!!!!! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Chris

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

im just going by wat the techs at the dealership told me. they said the optional hurst short throw shifter was aluminum and the reason for the jump-out of reverse was because it was bent they replaced it and it never happened again. i see your name is 30th bird are you sure the shift forks weren't different between the two ls1/lt1?

Yep, I'm sure. The LS & LT shift forks were interchangeable. There is a recognised issue with the aluminum 3/4 forks that came in both models. There is a replacement iron 3/4 fork available. There has only been one reverse fork and it has always been iron for all T56 models. I don't doubt what a dealer tech has told you. The Hurst shifter has nothing to do with this. I would seem that tech has jummbled up a few real elements and invented his own story. What else is new?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Yep, I'm sure. The LS & LT shift forks were interchangeable. There is a recognised issue with the aluminum 3/4 forks that came in both models. There is a replacement iron 3/4 fork available. There has only been one reverse fork and it has always been iron for all T56 models. I don't doubt what a dealer tech has told you. The Hurst shifter has nothing to do with this. I would seem that tech has jummbled up a few real elements and invented his own story. What else is new?
    lol damn, another reason not to trust the stupid stealership. im just glad i didnt have to pay for wat ever they did. oh and thanks 30th for the info, always good to learn somthing new

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am M6

Just got the tranny back. Main reason it was popping out of reverse was because the blocker was worn and the shift fork pads were just about gone! The fork looked good though. Replaced a bunch of parts as well along with a new pilot shaft bearing. Ran me about $800 out the door, but you would swear it's a brand new tranny just by looking at it. Can't wait to get'er back in, hopefully by Tuesday!!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sweet, let us know how it does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information