Question Recommend me a clutch!

Car: 1998 Formula Firebird M6

My tired old (stock) clutch is in need of replacement at 106,000 miles. Can anyone suggest a good clutch for my daily driver?

I also remember people recommending that people who own 98-99 cars were to replace something else, but it has been so long that I can't remember what that was. (In fact it had been so long since I've been on this board that my old account was deleted)

I also need to rebuild the tranny and I've been looking into the rebuild kit that is sold on ebay.

---> stores.ebay.ca/THE-GEAR-BOX_T56-Rebuild-Kits_W0QQtZkm

Is that kit any good? Is it worth it to rebuild or should I look into buying a new tranny?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

i decide to go with the clutch out of the new z06 vette. it should be able to hold around 500rwhp, drive like a oem clutch.

once your doing the clutch do the flywheel, master clyinder, slave clyinder, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, and some new bolts as well.

im not rebuilding the trans my self i was eather gonna send it to http://ddperformance.com/
    or
    http://www.t56rebuilds.com/

i think im going w/ the 2nd link

Black
    2013 Coupe

I too was going to go with a Z06 setup, but decided for the same $$ I went with the SPEC 3+ & steel flywheel instead.

The stock Z06 setup will hold up to the HP for around town driving, but will not hold up to the drag racing aspect as well.

Question

Since I don't do any crazy driving anymore (I get on it once and a while) would that Spec 1 clutch be adequate?

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    centerforce dual friction. bout 300 bucks but a good clutch. they also make centerforce-I and centerforce-II that both hold good but wont wear your knee out in traffic.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by theflash95
    Since I don't do any crazy driving anymore (I get on it once and a while) would that Spec 1 clutch be adequate?
    hell get the stage 1 then, or is it stock??? go with the stock clutch if this one has lasted this long

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Instead of paying out the ying yang for Spec, just go down to local parts store and buy one for cheaper. Dynapak sells a good OEM replacement. If you are an easy going driver, just resurface the flywheel and pressure plate, and save a bunch of money and buy a friction disc only. REmember this when you buy a clutch, a soft engagement is the clutch slipping, wearing it down. Thats why a lot of clutches just dont have the amount pre load neccessary to prevent slipping in drag racing Centerforce doesn't have it either. you will want around 1800lbs of preload. A six puck disc will probably last you forever if an oem held up that long.... -Tim

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

i never heard that you have to replace the master cylinder......slave cylinder yes

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

You don't have to replace the Master, but it won't hurt - the OEM plastic one is a reall loser.

The Z06 clutch is a great replacement clutch. Not horribly expensive, either.

Regards,
    Darden
    02 NBM TA - Mecham New Version Hood/Wing, Jet Hot/Hooker Headers, ProDyno exh, Chrome ROH ZS, Volant, Corvette LS1 MAF, Hotchkis LCAs, STB & Adj. PHR, BMR SFCs, Global West Traclink, SLP Bilstiens, Firehawk springs, B&M Ripper, Moser 12 bolt w/ 4.10s, Eaton Posi, LS1 Edit, Hurst line lock- more.

Black
    99 SS

yea i would get the Z06

Can anyone tell me where to buy the master and slave, and the clutch for that matter?

Black
    99 SS

Gm???

Don't you think that the dealer's prices are going to be outrageous compared with some of the stores on the net?

Black
    99 SS

prolly, but not for me, lol

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

just dont order from lmperformance or from slp. they suck bad. I just put the 849.00$clutch and flwhell kit from slp into my car and 30 days later im putting in a spec 3+.

by the way the 849.00 pac from slp is just a 425.00 ls6 clutch from gm, that does come with a new flywheel and clutch disk and preesure plate (same as the slp kit), just way over priced factory junk. The disk is very spongey and the pressure plate doesnt clamp enough.

I gave my car 600 miles break in and the first time i power shifted the thing went up in smoke. Lmperformance guy (leon the owner/salesman/warehouse guy/order taker/ -in other words a one guy operation) says sorry im just a middle man, call slp. Then slp says, cant help ya call lmperformance!!!

ya get my drift..... dont order from slp, go with spec 3+ it rocks!!

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Mr Luos can ditto that ..... SLP is pure Junk. They have serious issues. It is contracted just like everything else is, to the lowest bidder. I have been warned many many times not to but ANYTHING from SLP. -Tim

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

hey, "butchN" how is your spec3+ holding up? do you like it, I am about to put one in my 99 ta, just curious what to expect?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

Don't do the Centerforce clutch with a near stock (400 hp or less) setup - the pedal force gets to be a real pain in the - well it is stronger than needed for everyday driving, and did not last very long for me, only about 15 or 20k. The Zo6 seemed to do better all around.

Regards,
    Darden

Prophecy
    ive put in a Centerforce and it sucked. the spec 3 u cant go wrong. U get what u pay 4

Thread Information