2002 Trans Am CE

Rattle at back of transmission

I just had the original clutch components switched out for a new LS7 kit. After the install, I noticed a rattle sound coming from right under the storage part of the console. I took the console out and could hear the rattle more clearly, coming from about 12-18 inches behind the shifter. Looking under the car, that's the very back of the trans, just in front of where it meets the u-joint. The sound is very faint when I first start the car, but gets louder when I shift into gear and start moving. The rattle stays no matter what gear I'm in or whether or not the clutch is engaged. It goes away after I turn off the car. Any ideas?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Do you have a stock torque arm? If so, it may be loose and making the noise - as it is mounted to the tailshaft of the tranny. You could also check the tranny mount to see if it or the bolts are loose.

2002 Trans Am CE

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Do you have a stock torque arm? If so, it may be loose and making the noise - as it is mounted to the tailshaft of the tranny. You could also check the tranny mount to see if it or the bolts are loose.
    Thanks for the fast reply Knight. As far as I know it's the stock torque arm. I couldn't find much by jacking up the car, so I'll put it on a lift Wednesday and get a better look at it. Hopefully it's just loose bolts and not something wrong in the trans.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bet it's a heat shield and it just sounds like it's coming from the tranny. Does it do it at idle? If so put the car on stands, start it up, and crawl under there.

2002 Trans Am CE

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I bet it's a heat shield and it just sounds like it's coming from the tranny. Does it do it at idle? If so put the car on stands, start it up, and crawl under there.

I hope it's something easy like a heat shield. The rattle is either extremely faint or just not there when I first start the car. After I shift into gear and drive it a little the rattle starts, and when I stop again the rattle stays there even at idle. It usually stops when I turn off the car, but a couple of times it stayed there for a few seconds after shutting down the engine. When I crawled under the car I could tell the sound was coming from the tailshaft/u-joint/driveshaft area but I couldn't pinpoint it.

Thread Information