Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Cool Pump the clutch?

Ok, I recently bought an '01 Trans Am. Its been a blast, but starting Wednesday, I noticed that the clutch has very little pressure to it until just before it reaches the floor. If I "pump" it, the pressure builds. I plan to bleed it tomorrow and hope that its just air in the lines, but I thought I check here while I was at it. Anyone have any suggestions?

last of the breed... urstolendesire's Avatar

Red
    2002 Transam

that'd be my guess...check the fluid in the resevore and if not def. bleed it. my camaro did this even after bleeding it. one of the reasons it would do it is if the clutch has recently been changed out with an aftermarket one??

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

It only had 25K miles on it when I bought, so I doubt the clutch is new. The fluid is pretty black, so if this doesn't work, I might take it to AAMCO or something to have them drain it completely and refill it (I hear bleading it is a PITA).

Red
    2002 Transam

Quote Originally Posted by bull1112 View Post
    It only had 25K miles on it when I bought, so I doubt the clutch is new. The fluid is pretty black, so if this doesn't work, I might take it to AAMCO or something to have them drain it completely and refill it (I hear bleading it is a PITA).
    wow, thats...odd. mine has about 87,000 miles on it and my fluid still matches my brake fluid... lemme know what happends with bleeding it!

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Well, bleeding it was a pain, but I've replaced air filters that were in harder places to reach. It didn't help any. I took it to this AAMCO, and they quoted me $1700 saying I may have a collapsed clutch and a bad slave cylinder. To be honest, I did not think replacing a clutch would be that expensive. And if the clutch was bad, I did not think I would have been able to drive it since Wednesday.

Even if the clutch is ok, I might replace it anyway if the slave cylinder is whats wrong since it would be kinda conenient. I won't ask which clutch to buy and start another war (I've read a few of those), but what do y'all think would be a fair price to get the clutch and slave cylinder replaced?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Well, doing some searching here, it looks like it is my slave cylinder (http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...eplace+clutch). I think I might replace it and the clutch all at once to save any on any later hassles. Now my problem is finding a shop to do it a decent price.

arctic white
    2000 trans am

it should run you around 300 to get it installed. 1700 is too much..

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Clutch Master Cyl

A Clutch Master Cylinder going bad will give you similar problems. There have been a bunch on this forum that the shop told them they need major repairs. Most if not all turned out to be the Clutch Master Cylinder or Slave soley. If the fluid is black it is breaking down internally. The clutch master cyl on a later model camaro is an achilles heel. Around $150-170 GM replacement depending where you shop. I personally would try that first unless they can really convince you to go the clutch route.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

I'm calling a guy a friend recommended tomorrow. If he thinks it is just the master cylinder, then I will go with that and probably ignore the clutch at first. I don't want to be out the car for too long. If it is the slave cylinder, I think I'll go ahead and do the clutch at the same time since its in the bellhousing and all I'd really be paying for is the parts since most of the time is paid for. I also have a leaking pinion seal on the differential that I might get fixed too. Depends how affordable this guy is and how long he thinks it will take. Thanks for y'all's help and I'll post what happens.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Well, my buddy's shop is busy for at least a week and half. I'm going to shop around here in Tampa and see if somebody can get to it faster. The master cylinder would be dream come true. I might go around and just get quotes for that. Its an 01 so the whole cylinder issue was suppose to be cleared up. Anybody know a good shop in North Tampa/Lutz (like boots, not the GM guy) area???

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Unhappy

Well, I'm gonna bite the bullet. I'm using a guy I've used before on another car. He's charging $1400 to replace the clutch assembly and slave cylinder. I might have him look at the rear end too, its leaking a little oil, though from what I've read, is a factory option that came free on most of these cars. If he can replace the seal at least for a decent price so the oil doesn't leak, may go that route. I'm sure the insides aren't beautiful, but I'll drive it till it dies rather than rebuild it now. Thanks for all y'all's help!

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

WOW $1400, that would have to include a Brand new slave, brand new master, brand new flywheel, and a brand new Textralia clutch (all provided in the price) for me to even consider that price. Thats just plain RAPE around here.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS-6

Perhaps I am getting ripped off. The parts I found totalled out to about 500-600. I figure this guy is going to upcharge some and thne match it for labor. I need the car, so i don't have much choice. AAMCO wanted 1700. Can't say I got a whole lot of response from here before having to make the decision.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Imo

I gave you my opinion earlier but will do again. I think you don't need all that you list. I am suspicious of your Clutch Master Cylinder. I would give it to a well known chevy dealer for trouble shooting and pay the labor before turning someone loose changing out out that stuff. Changing what is listed will certainly fix it. I might do the same thing if shady/or lazy and didn't really know the problem. Can't go wrong as a mechanic changing out every componet...bound to fix it.

Red
    2002 Transam

def. too much.... i'd bite the bullet and wait as long as i could. until you can find someone cheaper.

Thread Information