Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

PLZ Help me with torque arm problem

hey guys look I hearing some serious banging between shifting gears. I personally think it's torque arm related. b/c I had my tranny and drive shaft rebuilt to stage3. Also my rear is a moser9" with a Detroit locker (I know these are noisy but this noise isn't gear noise) 1350 yokes 35 spline so I doubt there's any problems with those parts. so my only thesis would be the torque arm b/c it's a cheap Non-adj. tunnel mount TA by jegs, but like I said just my thougt so before I spend yet another 500$ on another part plz can some one else educate me on what could possibly be wrong. bc I can't take this banging sound any longer. It just doesn't sound right! also on a side note during my drives when I shift it sounds like my drive shaft moves back and forth more violently then what need be. so idk what's up can you plz help!!! I've replaced the LCA's/panhard/upper panhard/next to go in are the SFC/stock swaybar(but that's just bodyroll). the only thing I haven't got to is the motor& tranny mount bushings there still stock with 55k on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be the torque arm, a broken transmission mount, or possibly the exhaust banging under the car. Need to get under it and find out what is going on. Does the torque arm still mount to the side of the transmission tail stock? If so, take a look at the bracket that the front of the torque arm slips into as that can be an issue.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Could be the torque arm, a broken transmission mount, or possibly the exhaust banging under the car. Need to get under it and find out what is going on. Does the torque arm still mount to the side of the transmission tail stock? If so, take a look at the bracket that the front of the torque arm slips into as that can be an issue.
    I agree. Your gonna have to get under the car and inspect everything. Check for loose bolts and worn bushings.
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

It's probably the tunnel/body mount of the TA. Mine bangs around with every shift.

IDK about your's but in my case it's normal.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    It's probably the tunnel/body mount of the TA. Mine bangs around with every shift.

IDK about your's but in my case it's normal.
    also you also have a Detroit Locker in the moser9" or just the Detroit Locker. & My TA mounting bracket had to be drill to the tunnel itself like (14)9/16" bolts idk y it's jegs or edelbrocks version I guess thats prolly y, lol. I notices it started happening after I had put the rear in. idk if it had always done it with the factory's and just didn't plant so there wasnt enough downward force compared to 9" were it just plants and goes. I mean idk Im just brain storming here now. it's really annoying!!! guess I'm Gonna start saving for the wavelock. I knew I shouldve just put out the extra 400 for it. it's guaranteed for life and is the smoothest rear, but I just heard of Detroit Lockers and new that they were bulletproof sorta speak so I went with it instead of doing my homework.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Sounds like a tranny mount. Where does the sound seem to come from? Also, check the mounting bolts where the TA mounts to the rear.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Sounds like a tranny mount. Where does the sound seem to come from? Also, check the mounting bolts where the TA mounts to the rear.
    yea I'm ordering them "right meow" Lol just to order them to be safe yea know also the motor mounts. quick question my buddy told me about energy suspension's bushings. what do you guys think

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just be aware that poly bushings are going to transfer more sound and vibration into the car so if a smooth quiet ride is what you're after the poly's might not be for you. Myself, I wouldn't replace bushings with anything other than poly bushings. Energy suspension makes quality stuff.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just be aware that poly bushings are going to transfer more sound and vibration into the car so if a smooth quiet ride is what you're after the poly's might not be for you. Myself, I wouldn't replace bushings with anything other than poly bushings. Energy suspension makes quality stuff.
    no i don't care bout sound except for the sound of my rear trying to send my DS threw the front of the car that's annoying, but the other smaller stuff I dont mind. lol I like hearing mechanical things move, lets me know it's doing it's job. thank you for the advice input about the bushings

Thread Information