black
    2001 formula firebird

please help me out!

I have a 2001 firebird formula. I bought it about 6 months ago and I think the clutch is slipping a lot when I floor it. I want to upgrade to a centerforce clutch but my question is do I just need to replace just the clutch disc to solve my problem or do I have to buy the whole clutch kit. It is about a 300 dollar difference in price so I want to know if I could just replace the disc or if I should buy the clutch kit. If you think I should buy the kit please tell me why and what comes in the kit that I need besides the clutch discs. Thank you so much please help me out. I hope you tell me that all I need is the discs because the kit is really expensive and I don't think I can afford to spend almost 500 on a clutch kit! Thanks again.

green
    98 formula

you can get by with the disc as long as the pressure plate is in good shape but if all you want is to get by get a clutch from an auto part store also the flywheel should be resurfaced if at all possible do the whole kit try finding one on ebay or on this site sorry i didnt explain very well good luck with the car

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

ive tried to cut corners before and its not worth it if you plan to keep the car. just dont floor it for now and save till you get enough to do it right. its not worth half assin it and then in 6 months possibly have to drop your tranny again and start all over

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

If the clutch is going bad chances are the pressure plate could use some replacing. You'd probably be better off just getting the kit. I mean if you already are in there replacing the disk you might as well do the pressure plate also. You could also look into getting a lightweight flywheel I have the SLP one and its a noticeable difference. But if you don't want to do that, like joejenkinsglass said the flywheel should be resurfaced.

Thread Information