Thread: new gears.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

new gears.

so. i (probably) have a bent shift fork, thrashed 3rd gear synchronizer, whatever else is up with the trans. m6, ill be honest, i didnt really have much experience racing manuals, i drove a manual work truck, but theres a little bit of a difference there. missed third a couple times, now every now and then even under normal operation, shifting under 2.5k ill have trouble getting it in third. if i am stationary put the clutch to the floor and put the car in gear, the car will move... thats probably bad...

so, to remedy this...

new clutch, prolly ls7 with a new slave, i beat mine too hard, gotta get a new one, looking to get new syncros and shift forks and a new 6th, and possibly 5th gear if its possible.
    down the road, this winter hopefully i will be putting a 4.11 rear end in. i was wondering if it is possible to get a different ratio 6th gear that will have my highway rpms about the same as they are now. its a dd, so i would like for my highway rpms to not be too high.

with a 4.11 rear gear and a .40 6th gear the rpms will be 1400 at 65 and 1700 at 80. so highway rpms for me will usualy be around 1500-1600, i can live with that. plus ill have the steeper gears for 1st through 4th. ive heard 5th and 6th are not for racing, so i dont plan on running them too hard, if at all.

has this been attempted before, or do they even make a .40 ratio 6th.
    Thoughts?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I've never heard of a .40 ratio for 6th. I know you can get a .76, a .63, and a .5. I have 4.10s in mine and my rpms really aren't much higher than with my 3.42s. Here's a good calculator for figuring it out - http://www.f-body.org/gears/ or http://www.richmondgear.com/101032.html.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i "found" the 6th gear ratio on the f-body calculator. i have found i can break 30 mpg on the highway. i usually average around 26 for a tank. i get around 350 miles per tank, then fill up and it usually takes around 14 gallons. mines a dd, so getting less than 23mpg is not gonna work for me, i live in the country, its about 17 miles 1 way to work. no highway, but 55 the whole way, what kind of mileage do you get with the 4.10's?

the best fuel saver i installed has to be a softer foot, dont take it over 2k, and only give it enough throttle to get you to idle at 3.5k. Twice per gas tank i go WOT getting on the highway to 120. i have found if i dont do this when i finaly do there will be a cloud of black coming out of the exhaust.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

My MPG depends on how I drive it - so it's usually around 20 or less - I'm a lead foot. I have gotten around 27 or so on some longer trips though.

Thread Information