Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Need new clutch, which one?

So today I brought in my car to fix an oil leak from the rear main, it got all over everything apparently and when my mechanice was under there and looking at the clutch he found out the clutch was all burned up.. It was all rough and burned he said he's never seen one this bad.

Now replacing the clutch with the original kind seems kind of pointless to me -- around $630 for everything I need -- So I think it's time for an upgrade..

- My goal for the car will be in the 400's, hopefully closer to 450.

- The car is my daily driver, rarely if at all will it be taken to the track

So my question for you guys is... what should I get?

I've been doing some reading on the site.. I see some people go with the LS7 clutch... but I see a lot of people go with the Spec clutch.. is the Spec clutch the same as a LS7? And which one would be better for me?

I need to know ASAP since I'll be ordering it tomorrow because I need my car out of the shop.

Thanks a lot guys

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I would go with the LS7 personally. Its designed to handle the 505 HP from the Z06 so with yours goals you should be fine. From what ive read the LS7 feels almost like the stock LS1 clutch, and the specs are usually pretty stiff. Although if you go with Spec it really depends on what level you get, there are 5 i believe.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Yeah well I was looking at the Spec stage 3 clutch, it says it's can hold up to 680 ft/lbs torque.. I don't know how much HP those numbers would go along with, but I'd think they would be within at least 80 or 90 from eachother?

I'm kind of on a budget with the clutch though, because this is kind of a last minute unexpected thing, and I might as well get it fixed now while he's in there fixing the oil problem.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Yeah well I was looking at the Spec stage 3 clutch, it says it's can hold up to 680 ft/lbs torque.. I don't know how much HP those numbers would go along with, but I'd think they would be within at least 80 or 90 from eachother?

I'm kind of on a budget with the clutch though, because this is kind of a last minute unexpected thing, and I might as well get it fixed now while he's in there fixing the oil problem.
    Go with the LS7 clutch kit. I belive there are a couple of sponsors on here who were selling the complete kit with flywheel for under $500, you'll have to check around and see if any of them still have the sale going.

I have heard way too many horror stories about SPEC clutches in our cars. Issues with disengagement, chatter, and clutches burning up with only a few thousand miles on them. The LS7 clutch is OEM, meaning its been durability tested by GM to last tens of thousands of miles, even under aggressive driving conditions.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

oh wow the clutch and the flywheel for under $500?? that's not bad.. lemme look around a bit right now, thanks!!

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Ok! Just found the clutch/flywheel from fredbeans.com for like $396.. According to them I also need the new slave cylinder/master cylinder and pilot bearing.. comes out to around $650 or so.. not bad at all.. Will I need to do the drill mod on this set up?

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

No you don't have too. I've got the setup with out it, however it does help out under hard shifting conditions somewhat.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

LS7 clutch is a great clutch for handling higher horsepower and driving like stock.
    Il be getting mine i a month or so
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

How hard is it to do ? Obviously everything is going to be getting replaced, but I'm going to need to tell the mechanic what I want done .. and he's one of those old school kinda guys who likes to do a lot of things by the book and generally only likes factory parts and what not lol..

So what does it involve?

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

The LS7 kit replaces exactly like stock except for the fact that the Flywheel is slightly larger. Also make sure you get you some decent thread locker or locke tite.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ok! Just found the clutch/flywheel from fredbeans.com for like $396.. According to them I also need the new slave cylinder/master cylinder and pilot bearing.. comes out to around $650 or so.. not bad at all.. Will I need to do the drill mod on this set up?
    You're going to have everything apart anyway, so you might as well do it while you're in there

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Yep, I got it from scoggin's dickey. Fred Beans was horrible.. first they try charging you $100 for 5 day ups ground shipping.. Then I told them that's not right and it's way too much and had them look it up (which I did at the same time) and it came out to $35.

Then, they were supposed to ship it today, and I called them to double check and they were like "yea we might not get around to it today" ... So I explained to him that I needed it because I'm without my car now, I was even going to pay $120 for 2nd day air so it would arrive on thursday and the guy goes.. "yea well if we get to it, we get to it.. if not we'll try to ship it tomorrow"

So at that point I was fed up with it, cancelled everything told them I would get my parts elsewhere and I didn't need anything from their company, and called up scoggins dickey..

$480 for the clutch kit and slave cylinder, and I paid $60 for 2nd day air which was shipped out today.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Yep, I got it from scoggin's dickey. Fred Beans was horrible.. first they try charging you $100 for 5 day ups ground shipping.. Then I told them that's not right and it's way too much and had them look it up (which I did at the same time) and it came out to $35.

Then, they were supposed to ship it today, and I called them to double check and they were like "yea we might not get around to it today" ... So I explained to him that I needed it because I'm without my car now, I was even going to pay $120 for 2nd day air so it would arrive on thursday and the guy goes.. "yea well if we get to it, we get to it.. if not we'll try to ship it tomorrow"

So at that point I was fed up with it, cancelled everything told them I would get my parts elsewhere and I didn't need anything from their company, and called up scoggins dickey..

$480 for the clutch kit and slave cylinder, and I paid $60 for 2nd day air which was shipped out today.
    Let us know how everything works out im about ready to order mine from scoggins as well

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

will do.. just stay away from fred beans if you need to get your car running any time soon.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

atleast your getting your stuff. I'm going to order mine from them as well.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

can you give me the link of the products. iam having trouble finding it.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yep that's the one i got.. i've had it on for a few days now and it feels really good.. a lot easier to shift than the old clutch too.... feels much better.

Black
    99 Trans am Convertible

yeah thanks

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I just ordered mine today and having it installed on monday!! I can't wait!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information