Need advice on new shifter: Missing 3rd!

I keep missing 3rd gear with my stock hurst and it's killing me. I'm just glad I'm not the only one from reading all the threads. I was thinking of buying the MGW. It doesn't have the stops though like the hurst or 5.0, deal breaker?

I need to upgrade asap!!!!

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    I keep missing 3rd gear with my stock hurst and it's killing me. I'm just glad I'm not the only one from reading all the threads. I was thinking of buying the MGW. It doesn't have the stops though like the hurst or 5.0, deal breaker?

I need to upgrade asap!!!!
    Go to UMI in the sponsor listing on the forum. I bought my short shifter and pistol grip handle for under 100 dollars. I love it, what a huge difference. No more missing third, lol.
    Last edited by dennis ss; 03-14-2011 at 07:01 AM.

I really don't like the pistorl grip shift knobs. I have hurst ball in love it.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I really don't like the pistorl grip shift knobs. I have hurst ball in love it.
    Just go with the short shifter. your hurst ball will screw right on. The handle was only 25 dollars. I can't believe how short the throws are now. I'm glad I didn't pay 200 for a ripper shifter.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The 2 favorite shifters around here seem to be the Pro 5.0 and the MGW.

My problem is I keep missing 3rd when the rpms are high. IDK if a short stick is gonna solve that for me so I was thinking of a better shifter.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

My problem is I keep missing 3rd when the rpms are high. IDK if a short stick is gonna solve that for me so I was thinking of a better shifter.
    That's what I thought until I installed the short stick. It made a big difference. the pistol grip helps out too. I never miss third now

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Pro 5.0 Shifter
    Lou's Short Stick
    Hurst T-Handle

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Definitely a better shifter. The stock Hurst is very imprecise on the 2-3 shift.

The Pro 5.0 basically guides you right into 3rd with no effort, just point and shoot. I'm very happy with my Pro 5.0/WS6 Store short stick combo.

A lot of people also like the MGW shifter, but I personally have never tried one.
    Last edited by Wesman; 08-07-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Just ordered the MGW shifter. I found some vids on youtube that were pretty damn convincing. Thanks for the help guys

White
    1999 Camaro SS

on missing third are you going into 1st or 5th try just shoving straight up you will get used to it after awhile with the short shift let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    on missing third are you going into 1st or 5th try just shoving straight up you will get used to it after awhile with the short shift let us know how it goes
    I kept landing it in between 1-3. It could've been something else (m/c maybe?) preventing me from getting it in gear under WOT because if I let off the throttle I nail it 6k rpm no problem. BUT After some research I think I was getting ahead of myself with the shifting. I realize now it takes some practice to shift fast and do powershifting-that's my biggest mistake! I was so used to slamming into 2nd gear (part throttle or wot) at every stoplight that it was second nature to me and I didn't question myself about powershifting to 3rd, I mean why should I? Right? Then that one night I want to powershift from 2nd to at least 4th gear (trying to simulate a race cuz I never raced my car) I got way ahead of myself trying to powershift when I've never even granny shifted into higher gears. So since then I've been just practicing the movement a lot at low rpm's but imagining I'm doing WOT and shifting quick with the clutch/gears and it is helping A LOT! I push with under my thumb/palm straight up and it lands perfect. I can't do a hard shift though until I bleed my clutch or fix whatever is making it so soft.

My MGW shifter arrived today though, it looks like a great piece and regardless of missing 3rd or not I don't like the slushy long throws of the stock hurst. I hope this one has a shorter throw/stiffer and better! But as far as missing gears I think I could've fixed the problem without the new shifter but it's all good and I'll let you all know how the the shifter is once I get it installed this weekend *fingers crossed*

Anyone reading this post and is missing gears: Practice the movement at lower rpm's (4k even 3k) before you damage something seriously at WOT. Row through the gears fast and make the shifting so precise you could do it in your sleep. I've learned that the best way to hit 3rd is by pushing the shifter knob with the lower part of your palm, kind of open handed (don't grip it like when shifting to 2nd or 4th). You'll know what I mean when you try it. Shoot straight up, aiming at the passenger tire. Build up rpm's/speed as you feel comfortable and Good Luck

White
    1999 Camaro SS

I kept landing it in between 1-3. It could've been something else (m/c maybe?) preventing me from getting it in gear under WOT because if I let off the throttle I nail it 6k rpm no problem. BUT After some research I think I was getting ahead of myself with the shifting. I realize now it takes some practice to shift fast and do powershifting-that's my biggest mistake! I was so used to slamming into 2nd gear (part throttle or wot) at every stoplight that it was second nature to me and I didn't question myself about powershifting to 3rd, I mean why should I? Right? Then that one night I want to powershift from 2nd to at least 4th gear (trying to simulate a race cuz I never raced my car) I got way ahead of myself trying to powershift when I've never even granny shifted into higher gears. So since then I've been just practicing the movement a lot at low rpm's but imagining I'm doing WOT and shifting quick with the clutch/gears and it is helping A LOT! I push with under my thumb/palm straight up and it lands perfect. I can't do a hard shift though until I bleed my clutch or fix whatever is making it so soft.

My MGW shifter arrived today though, it looks like a great piece and regardless of missing 3rd or not I don't like the slushy long throws of the stock hurst. I hope this one has a shorter throw/stiffer and better! But as far as missing gears I think I could've fixed the problem without the new shifter but it's all good and I'll let you all know how the the shifter is once I get it installed this weekend *fingers crossed*

Anyone reading this post and is missing gears: Practice the movement at lower rpm's (4k even 3k) before you damage something seriously at WOT. Row through the gears fast and make the shifting so precise you could do it in your sleep. I've learned that the best way to hit 3rd is by pushing the shifter knob with the lower part of your palm, kind of open handed (don't grip it like when shifting to 2nd or 4th). You'll know what I mean when you try it. Shoot straight up, aiming at the passenger tire. Build up rpm's/speed as you feel comfortable and Good Luck
    yeah you will get used to it fast after you get that short shifter in and to help you can always get a better clutch inless you already have one? make sure to check your hydraulic fluid also make sure its not black or getting there if it is bleed the system and make sure you get it clean it is clutch dust and will mess your slave cylinder up happened to me not to long ago

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I love my MGW I'm glad I spent the cash on it. You don't need to worry about the bump stops the shifter is made for the t-56 so it's already set for the shifts. I haven't missed third yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    yeah you will get used to it fast after you get that short shifter in and to help you can always get a better clutch inless you already have one? make sure to check your hydraulic fluid also make sure its not black or getting there if it is bleed the system and make sure you get it clean it is clutch dust and will mess your slave cylinder up happened to me not to long ago
    I am definitely getting everything checked and bleed the clutch to get new fluids in it. One time doing a hard launch it actually got stuck about 1/2 way up! Could just be because the car was garaged A LOT. I am thinking about getting a tick master cylinder though. We'll see if all the stock components are working good.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    I love my MGW I'm glad I spent the cash on it. You don't need to worry about the bump stops the shifter is made for the t-56 so it's already set for the shifts. I haven't missed third yet.
    Good to know because I was seriously concerned about it after reading some very lengthy debates about shifters with bump stops. I just went with my gut and got the MGW, haven't heard one negative thing about their fbody shifter. I just can't wait to put it in even though I'm shifting the stock hurst like a pro now

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

One of the things I really like about my MGW is how far you can adjust the length of the stick not only does the knob thread up and down pretty far but the rod that the knob is threaded to also adjusted up an down

Well I had the shop throw it in while they were doing some suspension parts. Got the stock hurst knob on there but if I twist the knob all the way till it's tight, it doesnt sit properly. (Had this problem with the hurst ball when they installed it the gear pattern was horizontal instead of vertical) It's just half a turn from all the way tight and it's snug-but I know something isn't right! Plus I think the rod is bolted as low as possible because this thing is very very short.

Anyway this shifter is AWESOME! Every gear just snaps into place. It is so solid, no noise, shakes, or anything of the like. It is very tight and firm feeling when shifting (no more slushy stock hurst) And best of all it is a REAL SHORT THROW. I mean you can just flick into gear, how short the throw is!! The best mod I've done to my car period! The stock hurst knob just really sets it off too. I did not like the ball knob at all with this shifter it just didn't feel right.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Well I had the shop throw it in while they were doing some suspension parts. Got the stock hurst knob on there but if I twist the knob all the way till it's tight, it doesnt sit properly. (Had this problem with the hurst ball when they installed it the gear pattern was horizontal instead of vertical) It's just half a turn from all the way tight and it's snug-but I know something isn't right! Plus I think the rod is bolted as low as possible because this thing is very very short.

Anyway this shifter is AWESOME! Every gear just snaps into place. It is so solid, no noise, shakes, or anything of the like. It is very tight and firm feeling when shifting (no more slushy stock hurst) And best of all it is a REAL SHORT THROW. I mean you can just flick into gear, how short the throw is!! The best mod I've done to my car period! The stock hurst knob just really sets it off too. I did not like the ball knob at all with this shifter it just didn't feel right.
    Try using LocTite with the shifter knob. Apply, twist knob down, back off til it's positioned where you want it and let it set up.

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Try using LocTite with the shifter knob. Apply, twist knob down, back off til it's positioned where you want it and let it set up.
    I'm scared to because what if I have to take it off for whatever reason? I'd be pretty screwed then lol

What about a jam nut? I checked the auto parts store they don't have any in 16mm. I'll check a hardware store. It should do the trick, yeah?

Thread Information