RED
    2002 TRANS AM

Angry Mike at New Era blew my T56 Transmission!

After I had my car Dynotuned there I call Mike at New Era to make a follow up appt for street tuning because it was missing at part throttle and he says that it was because I was in the car with him and that he normally goes by himself and that I would have to drop it of so he can get it right. See My other post about the tuning problems Here:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767961
    I tell him that I dont have the time to drop it off and will drive it for a while to see if it gets better. It did get a little better but I was still not happy with it because it was missing at part throttle so I decide to drop it off on a thur. and pick it up on Mon since I had the day off. He calls me on Sat and he sounds nervous, at first I thought he crashed my car! He tells me that there is something wrong with my tranny that it was grinding and it stuck into first. I tell him that it was like new when I dropped it off and that he must have missed a gear or was really beating on it (power shifting). He tells me no and in fact he did not get it over 3k rpm. He tells me he thinks it is driveable and he wanted to know what I wanted him to do?!? I guess he was on the side of the road. I told him to take it back to the shop if he thought it was OK.
    I call him back and appoligized to him that I blew up on him and asked
    him if he made it back OK. He said it felt fine now and maybe the clutch
    fluid just heated up and was not disengaging all the way. So on Monday
    I pick it up and he wanted an extra $50 for the street tune and he ask
    if I wanted to take it for a ride to see if it was OK or just head for
    home. I told him my wife was with me and I have AAA if I had a problem
    with it. He started changing his story that it really did not grind & he thought it was the clutch. (New Textralia). So on the way home and it starts grinding pretty bad and I knew right away it was not the clutch. When I got home I drain it and allot of liitle pieces of aluminum come out! The Tranny needs to be rebuilt! It going to cost me at lease 1K and probably the rest of the
    racing season. I just wish he would own up to it! I have 40K on the
    Tranny and it never grinded once not once then he drives it and its
    toast. Come on! He said he had time to fix the tuning issues but it
    feels the same to me. I did call him back to see if he could help me out with it and he immediately jumped on the defensive that he did nothing wrong. But the fact of the matter is that it broke when it was in his hands and he should do something to help me. I am not asking him to pay for the whole thing, just help out a little and treat me with some respect. I let a few days go by and called a freind to help me out. He told me that I should call Mike at New Era back to see if he changed his mind before I post.
    I told him that I did not think he wanted to talk to me so he decided to call him and also got thye same responces & added that I called him up swearing at him which I did not do. I actually referred my freind to New Era for a Tune and he was happy with it. But I guess if something goes wrong he just wipes his hands. He thinks I drove my car over 1-1/2 hours away with a bad tranny just to set him up. Yeah right. Thanks allot Mike!

black
    01 ws6

hope you get this resolved man - tough stuff

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

wow yeah keep us posted on what happens.......i graduated with mike and recommend ppl over there as well......i have not had any work done myself as of yet with them but have been thinking about letting them do my clutch...a friend of mines father took his lt1 low milage camaro over there and has some serious probs i guess........unfort i dont remmber the details but he as well is very displeased with mike.....this is def not what i like to here..........alright after reading mikes response on ls1tech i retract what i previously said ......as usual far different storys and i didnt notice your car is 600hp and u race it every weekend
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 08-21-2007 at 08:02 AM.

Black
    2000 TA

You run close to a 600 HP car on a stock tranny. I have also read that you race a good bit. That tranny was on borrowed time and it just happen to cash in while Mike was driving it. Just call up Amber and send them the tranny and have it built to withstand the abuse that YOUR going to give to it.

Black
    99 Camaro

I never once said that the transmission was grinding , I told you that it stuck in first gear in a parking lot after I reflashed the pcm (after a 3 mile drive) and once again after a few more miles , and that I heard what sounded like a rubbing noise a couple of times when it was in third and first gear at low rpm driving and that I was pretty much done tuning anddidn't want to drive it any more becasue I wasn't sure what was wrong , I have never worked on this car , just tuned it . My story never changed , yours did . The drive tuning was only to clear up a part throttle hesitation issue and some idle tuning , there was no need to go WOT so it was dropped off already having issues if it sticks in 1st gear after a 3 mile drive .

When you race a car literally every week for 5 yrs and 583 rwhp with a stock transmission you are pushing it , to pin this on me for driving the car down the street never going above 45 mph and the thing sticking in gear the first time I pulled over to reflash is rediculous . If I felt I was at fault I would be more than happy to take care of it .

RED
    2002 TRANS AM

I understand that I have a stock tranny which has 40,000 miles (30K car was stock). I do race but am very careful and never missed or grinded the gears on it. Aka granny shifting. I also have a stock 10 Bolt which now as outlasted my engine and tranny.
    The fact is that he was driving it when it broke and I am the customer.
    I was asking if he could help me in any way, not pay for the whole repair.
    Instead he said he did not have the time. And thats not good business.

Black
    99 Camaro

I did not say I didn't have time , you wanted me to cover it , and after you blaming me for something I didn't do , and then apparently other shops in the area not wanting to do the work , coming back to me , I said I would rather not work on it and be wrongfully accused again for something else .

RED
    2002 TRANS AM

Quote Originally Posted by New Era Performance View Post
    I did not say I didn't have time , you wanted me to cover it , and after you blaming me for something I didn't do , and then apparently other shops in the area not wanting to do the work , coming back to me , I said I would rather not work on it and be wrongfully accused again for something else .
    I was willing to give you a chance to help me, Jon said he would help me but thought you would want to be involved to make me happy.
    Time is a factor for me, the season is almost over.
    Paul at PM performance hurt his back and can not get me in soon enough.
    Not sure if you called him or not?
    I posted in the forums as a last resort.
    I would be happy to post up that that you took care of me on all the theads I started if you were willing to help out.

Black
    99 Camaro

Joe , I don't think anyone will be able to take care of you and have you be happy 100% . Spamming the internet , and even signing up in forums you weren't a member in just to publically wrongfully accuse me of something will get you nowhere . Every forum you posted in has 99% of the people posting back think you are not right . So now , you have not only insulted me and my business personally and publically , you have established what kind of character you are not just between me and you , but now for everyonelse to see as well . The only thing I can say is good luck finding someone willing to work on your car after I go out of my way and spend all the extra time that I did with you to be wrongfully accused and threatened .

Mike

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by texinteg View Post
    You run close to a 600 HP car on a stock tranny. I have also read that you race a good bit. That tranny was on borrowed time and it just happen to cash in while Mike was driving it. Just call up Amber and send them the tranny and have it built to withstand the abuse that YOUR going to give to it.
    Exactly.

Thread Information