Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

McLeod STREET TWIN Clutch.....

Has anyone else used these clutches yet.....?
    I have used them in the past and they have updated the floater design now to use a strap mount versus the old school posts that it floated on before.
    Which ='s NO more noise. The old one had some rattle sound sometimes when on the clutch.
    Needless to say they work AWSOME. The pedal isn't too heavy and the holding power is great. You talk about something that can hold up to 650hp bottle passes one after another at the street races without a blink this is it.
    Yes they are not the cheapest but if your tired of burning up Specs....breaking Centerforces.......And smoking Zooms this one is for you.
    http://www.mcleodind.com/downloads/p...DFs/Page_6.pdf
    We have had one in a customers Mustang with a 418 stroker with a 250 shot and a Tremec TKO-600 for 4 years. It made 748hp to the tires and it goes 9.60's on a dragradial with this clutch. He drove it on the street up until the time he sold it with this clutch also.

Anyone out there played with them........
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Well it is VERY surprising to me that NO ONE else is using about the best street clutch out there.......

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

Hey its me from the last post about specs I've been following up and reading some info about these clutches when my spec clutch gos out I was thinking about purchasing one you said the 600 series was good, in about a month or 2 I will be doing a head and cam swap on my 01 Z28 6spd LS1(My goal 450-475+RWHP) so in the mean time I will like to prepare for that set up like a back up clutch and other nacessary parts. The spec clutch was the best I've had so far but like I said in a preveous post they don't last long. So Im open to try this particular clutch heard alot of good things about this clutch mostly for old school street racers but anyway the mcloed website doesn't show prices or how to order so is there a order site for the clutch I've checked out others but don't carry them just a bunch of rams and specs. Thanks

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

I have one in my z06. the construction as far as I can tell is top notch. all the 'weak' spots like PP straps & rivets I've broken with other cars setups have been seriously BEEFED up to take the extra abuse.

I'm putting down a little over 700whp and the car runs mid 10s @ 13x on ET streets. driving around town is no problem. there is hardly any noise when the pedal is pressed and it holds the tq like a MOFO. it has never slipped on me.

I actually just had to pull it out last weekend and ship it back to McLeod for repair because the pressure plate failed on me.

As you can see in the below pics one of the PP fingers is hanging lower then the other two which was causing me to not be able to fully disenguage the clutch and shift gears.

here is a shot of the bad finger and a good finger. notice how the good finger (lower finger) is touching the release bearing and the bad one (upper finger) is just hanging there

this is how all the fingers should be resting on the release bearing:

but yeah, other then that no problems.

I just hope they turn the unit around quickly and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Black
    99 SS

i HAD one in my LT1 car, it blew out, it was cool, i just cant see spending that amount of money on a clutch.

Black
    99 SS

forgot mods are in my sig
    95 WS6, 6 speed, FULL suspension, 9" spool, Vortech S/C HARD TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

99 Z28/SS Vert Triple Black, H/C

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

what do they go for new? I've heard they are quiet expensive, mine came with the car when I bought it so I don't know...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    I have one in my z06. the construction as far as I can tell is top notch. all the 'weak' spots like PP straps & rivets I've broken with other cars setups have been seriously BEEFED up to take the extra abuse.

I'm putting down a little over 700whp and the car runs mid 10s @ 13x on ET streets. driving around town is no problem. there is hardly any noise when the pedal is pressed and it holds the tq like a MOFO. it has never slipped on me.

I actually just had to pull it out last weekend and ship it back to McLeod for repair because the pressure plate failed on me.

As you can see in the below pics one of the PP fingers is hanging lower then the other two which was causing me to not be able to fully disenguage the clutch and shift gears.

Click for full size

Click for full size

here is a shot of the bad finger and a good finger. notice how the good finger (lower finger) is touching the release bearing and the bad one (upper finger) is just hanging there

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

this is how all the fingers should be resting on the release bearing:

Click for full size

Click for full size

but yeah, other then that no problems.

I just hope they turn the unit around quickly and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.
    They have always turned around rebuilds to me in the most 2 weeks. Price has been lower than I expected. You should be alright.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    i HAD one in my LT1 car, it blew out, it was cool, i just cant see spending that amount of money on a clutch.
    You "blew it out" and what NEVER called them to get RGA to return it?
    That's funny that it says you now have a Spec stage III that pos has held your power but a twin disc couldn't...... Sorry but there is something wrong other than the clutch with that if thats true!! If you didn't call Fred or anyone there at McLeod for that matter.....WHY

We have put them in many cars and NOT had any issues as I've stated before.
    If your making 600+ horsepower I don't want to even try a cheap priced clutch due to the fact that it won't last and even if I do the labor myself it's NOT worth my time of going through multiple clutches. I would just buy one for $1200 and be done with it.

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

hey can you give me some sites where I can maybe purchase this clutch the sites I've been to don't carry them and also more info on that 600 series clutch disk, the mcleod site don't give prices just info on clutch kits, also what is the good and bad on these new street twin clutches my car after my new mods will be in the 450-475+ range some drag time but mostly street. Thanks

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Your on the other side of the USA so not sure on dealers on the east coast. I know JEGS sells them cause I've had customers that bought them from Jegs bring them to me for installs........Summit too
    I would call Fred in Tech and ask him ANY tech ?'s you have.
    There are many benefits to a multiple disc set-up......You end up with lower pedal effort with more holding power. Plus it will handle massive amounts of abuse without getting hot and hazing the clutch.I have made 6-7 back to back bottle passes on test and tune night in 11.0 car if it was a single disc set-up it would NOT of held up to that kind of abuse!!
    Dis advantage I would say cost if your on a budget.
    The 600 Series I have a few Mustangs one turbo car and the other on the bottle they both are in the mid 11's on drag radials and drive them on the street almost daily without ant issues.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    You "blew it out" and what NEVER called them to get RGA to return it?
    That's funny that it says you now have a Spec stage III that pos has held your power but a twin disc couldn't...... Sorry but there is something wrong other than the clutch with that if thats true!! If you didn't call Fred or anyone there at McLeod for that matter.....WHY

We have put them in many cars and NOT had any issues as I've stated before.
    If your making 600+ horsepower I don't want to even try a cheap priced clutch due to the fact that it won't last and even if I do the labor myself it's NOT worth my time of going through multiple clutches. I would just buy one for $1200 and be done with it.

it came in the car i bought, it was abused pretty much strictly a track car

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    it came in the car i bought, it was abused pretty much strictly a track car
    So you still have it...? If so I have MANY people who would be interested in buying it and sending it back to get rebuilt!!
    PM if you do.

white
    1995 LT1

How would this hold up in a Lt1 with a 383 and a D1SC/14lbs? I bought a M6 conversion for my A4 and my buddies are telling me I'm waisting my time and I will just kill the tranny/clutch. They say that supercharged cars and cluthes just dont mix... I'm pissed, I just bought this conversion and now I dont want to put it in because I dont need the headache of going though clutches. My one friend was running 11's and he said his clutch didnt last at all.. I should be is the mid 10's once my cars all tuned in... If what he says is true than I'm just going to sell my conversion and get a built A4..

Metalic Navy Blue
    2001 Camaro Z28

hey thanks for the info I've been thinking and planing on going with the twin setup. Thanks

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

Quote Originally Posted by jmangler View Post
    How would this hold up in a Lt1 with a 383 and a D1SC/14lbs? I bought a M6 conversion for my A4 and my buddies are telling me I'm waisting my time and I will just kill the tranny/clutch. They say that supercharged cars and cluthes just dont mix... I'm pissed, I just bought this conversion and now I dont want to put it in because I dont need the headache of going though clutches. My one friend was running 11's and he said his clutch didnt last at all.. I should be is the mid 10's once my cars all tuned in... If what he says is true than I'm just going to sell my conversion and get a built A4..

I think it would handle the power just fine. I have a 346 w/F1 procharger @ 14psi at it hasn't slipped once at the track or on the street. Held a bunch of mid 10 sec passes so far.

white
    1995 LT1

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    I think it would handle the power just fine. I have a 346 w/F1 procharger @ 14psi at it hasn't slipped once at the track or on the street. Held a bunch of mid 10 sec passes so far.
    Awesome! Thanks for letting me know this! If I keep the set-up I will buy this clutch!!

My engine in my car was in my buddies camaro and he was running a F1 and went 9.40's. I got the motor from him and get a killer deal on a D1SC so I went with that. I dont plan on going as fast as he took it but I defiantely will go ito the 10's.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by jmangler View Post
    Just give Fred or for that matter Lee if not Fred and tell them EXACTLY what you got and what you plane on doing and they will tell you straight up if it will work or NOT. They won't tell it will hold and then it doesn't so you have to send it back. Fred has always been straight forward with me. There rep stands for itself in the racing industry.
    http://www.mcleodind.com/contact.html

white
    1995 LT1

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Just give Fred or for that matter Lee if not Fred and tell them EXACTLY what you got and what you plane on doing and they will tell you straight up if it will work or NOT. They won't tell it will hold and then it doesn't so you have to send it back. Fred has always been straight forward with me. There rep stands for itself in the racing industry.
    http://www.mcleodind.com/contact.html
    Thanks for the info. I just decided to ebay off the conversion and in the future I will get a M6 Trans-am, GTO, or wait alittle longer and buy a vette.

Thanks guys!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've had a Mcleod single kevlar disc for 4 or 5 years now. Never once had a problem just put it in there and forgot about it. Still holds 5,500rpm dumps on slicks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information