Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Master Cylinder or Clutch?

I have a 2000 6-speed SS with about 27,000 miles on it. The only major mod it has is the long tube headers with high-flow cats. All the other mods are minor.

When I was driving to work, I had a Mustang GT pull along side me so I hit 4th gear and took off (The good news is that I smoked the GT, all 3 times I raced him). Unfortunatly we then came upon a red light, I pushed the clutch in and shifted to 1st gear, never letting up the pedal. When I shifted into 1st, I heard a loud whining noise. When the light turned green, the clutch never game off the floor. It managed to roll to a point I could pull off the road, but there is a grinding sound if I push it in gear.

So my question is, is it the clutch or the master cylinder? I ordered a new LS-6 clutch anyways because I wanted to replace it since I heard the 2000 model year clutchs stink. But the clutch never showed any signs of giving out, so its odd that it would just suddenly give. Let me know your thoughts.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ERICV82GO View Post
    I have a 2000 6-speed SS with about 27,000 miles on it. The only major mod it has is the long tube headers with high-flow cats. All the other mods are minor.

When I was driving to work, I had a Mustang GT pull along side me so I hit 4th gear and took off (The good news is that I smoked the GT, all 3 times I raced him). Unfortunatly we then came upon a red light, I pushed the clutch in and shifted to 1st gear, never letting up the pedal. When I shifted into 1st, I heard a loud whining noise. When the light turned green, the clutch never game off the floor. It managed to roll to a point I could pull off the road, but there is a grinding sound if I push it in gear.

So my question is, is it the clutch or the master cylinder? I ordered a new LS-6 clutch anyways because I wanted to replace it since I heard the 2000 model year clutchs stink. But the clutch never showed any signs of giving out, so its odd that it would just suddenly give. Let me know your thoughts.
    you need to change your master cylinder anyways to the 01-02 design. so i mean just do both any your fine. sounds like the clutch wasnt fully dissingaging.

Thread Information