Black
    2002 Z28

manual transmission warning signs...

im looking to get a new 00-02 ws6 TA M6 and i dont know much about manuals..even how to drive them.my frien si goign to teach me though and i defiantly plan on getting it down well before i go out and get the car but before i buy it id like to know of any warning signs i should know of while test driving it so i wont have to instantly replace the tranny or rebuild it.
    thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'll start out. It should go into all gears without grinding and not pop out of gear. The clutch should start to grab somewhere in the middle of the clutch pedal travel. ummm... and you shouldn't hear any loud whiny, growling, or clunky noises from the trans area while driving around.
    I'm sure other people can add to this

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Cutlass- I think you're describing my tranny! :-)

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

It should'nt shudder or feel like it's slipping climbing hills or give off a burnt oil smell in higher gears. Throw out bearing should'nt sqweal either or have a dry bearing race sound when the clutch pedal is depressed or released (a bad/dry bearing can sound sorta like the head of a hammer being slid across a smooth concrete surface). Should easily slide into gear with the clutch peddle to the floor as well. SHould be able to "skip" shift without effort or the gear feeling "gated" under normal driving conditions.. Try if 6spd (while driving normal) shifts 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 3-5, 3-6, 4-6. That's all I can think of right now..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-18-2009 at 06:53 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

What do you guys think about putting it in 5th at about 30 mph and giving it a good bit of gas to see if the clutch slips?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    What do you guys think about putting it in 5th at about 30 mph and giving it a good bit of gas to see if the clutch slips?
    good idea especially on a small up hill grade..

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    It should'nt shudder or feel like it's slipping climbing hills or give off a burnt oil smell in higher gears. Throw out bearing should'nt sqweal either or have a dry bearing race sound when the clutch pedal is depressed or released (a bad/dry bearing can sound sorta like the head of a hammer being slid across a smooth concrete surface). Should easily slide into gear with the clutch peddle to the floor as well. SHould be able to "skip" shift without effort or the gear feeling "gated" under normal driving conditions.. Try if 6spd (while driving normal) shifts 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 3-5, 3-6, 4-6. That's all I can think of right now..
    Just dont freak out when you accelerate kinda slow and it wont let you shift right away into 2 and makes you go to 4. Its supposed to be that way from the factory. Can easily be eliminated though. Just heads up on that one.

sand
    2001 Trans Am WS6

How the hell was you able to get a TA in front of an SR-71 Blackbird?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rexxx View Post
    How the hell was you able to get a TA in front of an SR-71 Blackbird?
    The same way you get one under it, move the damn poles. LOL Those of some of my favorite pictures of my car. Have about 30 of that day.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was stationed at Edwards AFB, CA for a few years and this was the the museum on base. Just do it on a Saturday when traffic coming onto base isn't as bad. My buddy and I spent a while there taking plenty of pictures with our cars. His is a 95 Z28

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

ahhhhh the advantages of being in the military sometimes boy dontcha love it, I stood in the very first c5 galaxy ever built dobbins air force base, and they funny thing is they never put wings on it. They built the everything but the wings and used it int he aerodynamics testing, that bitch is huge man lemme tell you what. That was the first time of me being in the army ever going to an air force base the mp's(dont call them mp's tho I cant remember the actual name for them haha) were actually pretty cool. But sorry went a little off subject I agree with what everybody said here haha.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    ahhhhh the advantages of being in the military sometimes boy dontcha love it, I stood in the very first c5 galaxy ever built dobbins air force base, and they funny thing is they never put wings on it. They built the everything but the wings and used it int he aerodynamics testing, that bitch is huge man lemme tell you what. That was the first time of me being in the army ever going to an air force base the mp's(dont call them mp's tho I cant remember the actual name for them haha) were actually pretty cool. But sorry went a little off subject I agree with what everybody said here haha.
    They call them "SP's" Security Police, Im pretty sure thats what it stands for.

Just fyi, lol

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

[IMG][/IMG]

Thread Information