Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Manual Trans Questions

I just got my 2000 TA M6. I have a few questions.
    1. When parked on a slope/hill do you leave the tranny in any gear or is the brake good enough? I have heard both ways but not sure which is correct.

2. If I am driving down the street at 35 mph and i need to slow down, how slow can i go before i have to press the clutch? In order to keep the car from stalling out.

3. While driving on the freeway at 65-75mph, what is the lowest gear i can go to in order to have better take off? Just in case a ricer pulls up and Im in 6th gear, and I feel like havin a little fun.

4. On a 6 speed tranny(T56 correct?) which is the 1:1 gear? Is it 3rd or 4th?

I know how to drive a manual, but have only been doing it for about 4 months total. So i dont know all the do's and donts.
    Thanks in advance.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

1: USE BOTH!
    2epends on which gear, why be lazy? Move your other foot.
    3: 3rd geart at 70 sounds about right to me...
    4: 4th gear is 1:1

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

1 both
    2 a lil under 1k rpms is a good place to push it in..u can tell by the way the engine sounds when its time
    3 3rd !!!!!!!! have fun..top of 3rd is 105... anything under id say 50 and 2nd is your choice....try not to race starting between 50 and 70 or so...no good way to get into the meat of your powerband
    4 4th

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Well i am gonna takes this another direction. I just bought a new slave and master, just have to wait for it to get here in the mail. What should i change on the transmission? It has 70k on it and i just want to make sure i don't break the thing down the line. I don't know much about manuals..

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    Well i am gonna takes this another direction. I just bought a new slave and master, just have to wait for it to get here in the mail. What should i change on the transmission? It has 70k on it and i just want to make sure i don't break the thing down the line. I don't know much about manuals..
    Change the fluid for sure. Check the shifter for excessive wear, and replace if necessary. I reccommend the Pro 5.0, its an excellent shifter. Look for excessive metal filings on the drain plug, it indicates how much wear your synchros have had.

The T56 takes Dexron III ATF. Synthetic is the best, so I'd say go with either Mobil 1 (what I use), Royal Purple, or Amsoil.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Yeah everybody seems to lean torwards the 5.0, i have a hurst in mine. Seems like that may be a good change. Where would i be able to get stonger synchros. I have not even changed my oil but it would not hurt to do that either. My order says i should have all my stuff by the 14th in a couple of days so before i go on with pulling the tranny out i want to knock everything i possibly can out of the way. That way i only have to do this once.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    Yeah everybody seems to lean torwards the 5.0, i have a hurst in mine. Seems like that may be a good change. Where would i be able to get stonger synchros. I have not even changed my oil but it would not hurt to do that either. My order says i should have all my stuff by the 14th in a couple of days so before i go on with pulling the tranny out i want to knock everything i possibly can out of the way. That way i only have to do this once.
    There is a night an day difference between the Hurst and the Pro 5.0. Trust me, I had both. My car came with the Hurst, and coming from other manual cars, its feels downright clunky and very imprecise. Its also very easy to miss 3rd when you hustle the shifter and end up in 5th by accident. That puts a damper on your acceleration lol.

The Pro 5.0 has a very direct feel, you feel like you're actually changing gears instead of just moving a rubbery lever. Not to mention it also has a unique offset shifter mechanism, which means you'll almost never miss 3rd

Thread Information