Thread: M6 Shifter Buzz

NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

M6 Shifter Buzz

I'm hearing some significant buzzing coming from my shifter starting at approx 5k to redline. Anyone heard of this problem before? Shifts fine, just very annoying.

TIA,

Ken

red
    2000 camaro ss

never happens any other time? engage/disengage clutch? could be throwout bearing. how many miles are on tranny? ever blow a shift? (3rd to 2nd when you meant to go to 4th etc)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

sure it's the shifter and not the console? i know my console buzzes a lot at that RPM

Have your recently installed an aftermarket shifter??? The factory shifters have an isolator on the shaft to cut down on vibration and noise.
    Aftermarket shifters do away with the isolator so they inherantly transmit more noise due to design.
    Anything else changed on the car recently,,,torque arm, transmount bushing etc or any bushings switched to poly instead of rubber???

NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

It's definetely coming from the shifter. I made my wife stick hear head down there and listen a couple of times.

At first I thought it was pinging and took it the shop and they hooked it up to a laptop and took 'em for a ride. No timing is being pulled when the noise is happening.

AFAIK, this is the stock (and original) shifter. Car has 60K miles on it, and I've had it since 52K and it has been doing it all this time.

I've missed 3rd before hitting 5th instead of 3rd. Shifter is not nearly as nice as was on my '96 WS6 Formula.

Thanks for the input!

Ken

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Tickwomp View Post
    It's definetely coming from the shifter. I made my wife stick hear head down there and listen a couple of times. At first I thought it was pinging and took it the shop and they hooked it up to a laptop and took 'em for a ride. No timing is being pulled when the noise is happening.

AFAIK, this is the stock (and original) shifter. Car has 60K miles on it, and I've had it since 52K and it has been doing it all this time.

I've missed 3rd before hitting 5th instead of 3rd. Shifter is not nearly as nice as was on my '96 WS6 Formula.

Thanks for the input!

Ken

sure she wasnt the first one to notice it? . . . . .

hard to say, can take it apart and take a peek. if it's not getting louder i'd say youll be ok.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

i got the same problem when im punching it and getting high into the rpms it makes a bussing noise it just vibrations from the tranny you can try to see if the tranny mounts are broke cause i know mine are and ill be getting poly motor and tranny mounts soon hopefully

NBM
    2000 Z28 M6 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by NavdeepWS6 View Post
    i got the same problem when im punching it and getting high into the rpms it makes a bussing noise it just vibrations from the tranny you can try to see if the tranny mounts are broke cause i know mine are and ill be getting poly motor and tranny mounts soon hopefully
    Change in the little ashtray really makes a noise. I was thinking of replacing the shifter, but now I'm concerned about tranny mounts. Is this something you can see if you crawl under the car?

On the other hand, shifting would be improved by replacing the shift, even if it didn't stop the noise.

red
    2000 camaro ss

yea tranny mount is right at back of tranny, in between trans itself and crossmember. it is easy to see if its bad, usually you can just look at it and see it's crackd up and mushy. if it looks good give it a good jerkin with your hands at back while youre lookin at it. wont hurt to replace it w/ poly. some people dont like poly but i recommend it 100%.

Black
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    ....if it looks good give it a good jerkin with your hands at back while youre lookin at it......
    hahahaahah, off topic but funny as hell

Since you bought it with 50,000 on the clock already and the noise has been there since day 1,,,crawl under there and see if someone hasn't changed to a poly mount previously. They tend to transmit a little more noise and/or vibration.

Thread Information