Bsherrill

Wink M6 Grinding issues -

Alright here is my situation. I was driving down the freeway about 60mph and i hit traffic so I slowed down put the clutch in and tried to down shift, but NOTHING. it would not go into any gear at all. So I pulled over and as I got to about 10 mph I was able to get it into gear and everything seemed fine. That was Monday. Tuesday I drove to work and each time I put the clutch in I would hear a grinding sound and it would be a pain in the ass to get it into gear. So I took it into the shop and they said it was the master clutch cylinder that it had a hole in it that was sucking up air and was not allowing the clutch to completely disengage when shifting. So they changed it out and I went to pick it up. On my way home it started doing this again. So i turned right around and went back up there and told them it wasnt fixed. They drove it and came back to me stumped on what it could be. So today they are suppose to be tearing it down further to see what it could be. Has anyone ever had this problem and if so what was it. Does anyone got any idea what this could be??

Oh and everything is stock! my car has about 81,000miles on it

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

There has been a lot of this hear lately. There could be a hole rubbed in the line that goes to the throwout bearing.

Bsherrill

Unhappy Quick note

One other quick think to Note is that when I am driving if I just push the clutch in I hear the "grinding" noise I dont have to change the gears. The sound is like 2 metal pieces are rubbing against each other.

Does anyone think this could be a problem in which my Tranny is going bad??

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

The grinding noise is your gears, when you are trying to shift. NOT good to do...

I have posted this three times already, you guys are really killing the M6 reputation....

When your clutch isnt allowing you into gear, the first thing you check is the level of hydraulic fluid you have in the
    resevior. The level most be up to the offset line, with Brake Dot 3 fluid.

Also check under you car for any leaks

When the shop changed the master cylinder, did the bleed the master and slave cylinder, to relieve all the air?
    There is a bleeder on the slave, that must be bled too!!!

The slightest amount of air and or the slightest amount of fluid loss can screw up your shifting.

The Hydraulic setup on these cars is simple, just tough to work on because you have to remove the transmission.
    The master cylinder is located right behind the clutch pedal through the firewall, you can see it under your dash and
    when looking under your hood. That master has a steel braided hose that runs from it to the side of the bellhousing, connecting
    to the slave cylinder which is now inside the bellhousing bolted to the transmission. The slave cylinder and throwout bearing
    are the same piece now acting like a doughnut shape around the pilot shaft of the transmission.

JUST READ YOUR LAST POST:::

if your getting grinding noise from just DEPRESSING YOUR clutch, and your gears are in the neutral gate and your NOT shifting,
    I would believe your throwout bearing/slave cylinder is shot. It could be the pressure plate on your clutch has a busted
    spring or finger, but you wont know any of that until removing the trans and inspecting the parts.

Still I would check the amount of hydraulic fluid first and bleed the system really well...
    Last edited by ibanez7; 08-19-2005 at 06:16 AM.

Bsherrill

Rebuild

Yeah I just found out that the Master Cylinder is fine the throw out bearings are fine and the clutch is fine too. The gears and tranny are the problem. Look like it needs to be rebuilt! So I am looking at about $1800

Bsherrill
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7
    JUST READ YOUR LAST POST:::

if your getting grinding noise from just DEPRESSING YOUR clutch, and your gears are in the neutral gate and your NOT shifting,
    I would believe your throwout bearing/slave cylinder is shot. It could be the pressure plate on your clutch has a busted
    spring or finger, but you wont know any of that until removing the trans and inspecting the parts.

Still I would check the amount of hydraulic fluid first and bleed the system really well...

This sounds more like the issue. Like I said I only here the noise once the Clutch is Pressed down. I feel the same way you do in that it has to be something with the clutch maybe the presure plate or so forth. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna see if I cant get it over to MTI and see if they can look at it. Hopefully the tranny is fine and wont have to be rebuilt.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

if your trans has to be rebuilt, I dont know what MTI prices are for transmission rebuilds or for performance with a core
    charge for yours.

I do know my local shop speed inc, has rebuild performance transmission starting at $1900.00 new forks, syncros etc...

goodluck, tranmissions are never cheap, and for the most part the T56 is a strong trans

Also I have found it better and sometimes cheaper to go to the local performance shop
    that specializes in f-bodies as opposed to GM or a local mechanic

Bsherrill
    yeah thats what I am doing with MTI they are really good all they work on are LSx Cars. If it is the Tranny and has to be rebuilt they quoted me $1800 over the phone thats with new forks and syncros. Lets hope the Tranny is in good condition.

Bsherrill
    Here is what the Problem was --

It happend to be my slave cylinder, and pilot bearing. They both went to shit and the pilot bearing basicly shredded. Apparently the problem is with the Slave Cylinder in all 2000 and earlier models, and this happens to most after 50,000 miles. Anyhow I took it to MTI and those guys fixed it in about 4 hours. They installed a new clutch, new slave cylinder, and pilot bearing and it cost $863 ($350 of that was removing and installing the Tranny.) i just drove it home and it feels extremely better. I got lucky with the cluch though. My old one looked like it had been chewed on by a dog. They happend to just have a LS2 GTO clutch that they had just removed laying around that they gave to me for $200. Those guys over there are awesome. Kudos to MTI for getting me fixed in a matter of 4 hours.

CamaroSSx1999
    im having the same problem, anyone know of any local f-body shops in St. Louis area?

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroSSx1999 View Post
    im having the same problem, anyone know of any local f-body shops in St. Louis area?
    im wondering the same thing. has anyone found/heard of any local shops in st louis since the last post?
    my M6 is popping out of third, and reverse, 3, 5 are hard to get into. 1999 t/a with 93,xxx miles.

Thread Information