Thread: LS7 Clutch kit

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

LS7 Clutch kit

ok ive been searching thru different threads but i still am left with some questions unanswered. I was wondering if you guys could help me out since im new to LS1 and im also new to owning a car with a manual trans.

so i have a 2001 camaro SS and everything is stock on it... its has a cat back and thats it.

im looking to replace the clutch and i hear great things with the LS7.

I was planning on buying from kyspeed

http://kentucky-speed.com/gm-gm-ls7-...4e3cccc1c0af4e

can anyone tell me what else i need besides that kit and where i can get it
    (i hear you need a new pilot bearing or slave cylinder or master sylinder.. possibly a clutch alignment tool?)

i do not plan on doing this myself but would deff appreciate any feedback from you guys

thanks in advanced!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

You will want a new pilot bearing, they are cheap.

Depending on the mileage of your car and your budget on the master and slave. I recommend going ahead and replacing all while it's torn apart the first time if you possibly can.

Not sure what sponsors sell the additional stuff...I'd have to get back to you on that if someone else doesn't chime in first.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    You will want a new pilot bearing, they are cheap.

Depending on the mileage of your car and your budget on the master and slave. I recommend going ahead and replacing all while it's torn apart the first time if you possibly can.

Not sure what sponsors sell the additional stuff...I'd have to get back to you on that if someone else doesn't chime in first.
    She has just over 62K miles as for the budget. im only 19 (broke student) so its not super big but i do what i can ... but i appreciate your feedback

i can use all the feedback i can get

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    She has just over 62K miles as for the budget. im only 19 (broke student) so its not super big but i do what i can ... but i appreciate your feedback

i can use all the feedback i can get
    No problem, I went through it the hard way...my slave went out and took my master with it, and there was not much life left in the clutch. I put in an LS7 kit with new everything, and haven't looked back But.....it offset me about 650 back then, and the LS7 kit is about 60 bucks more expensive now than when I got mine. So probably gonna set you back a good 700 just for the parts alone...not including the alignment tool, I didn't have to buy that.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I sent a message to a friend of mine on here. He's a GM mechanic to start with, and he has more recent experience with buying and installing the LS7 kit, so he should have a more up-to-date opinion on cost and where to get stuff. He should post up sometime soon.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

great thanks

well she deff needs one so im gonna try to put everything in there at once and get it out of the way.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

I got the whole kit for 450.. the aliment tool was like 6-7 bucks. and pilot was 13-14 bucks. I got the Slave for 130 at a GM stealership... I spent around bout 600-630 spent on parts plus shipping. I got my kit from scooggin dickey parts. Fast shipping and great customer service..!!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by WARP211 View Post
    I got the whole kit for 450.. the aliment tool was like 6-7 bucks. and pilot was 13-14 bucks. I got the Slave for 130 at a GM stealership... I spent around bout 600-630 spent on parts plus shipping. I got my kit from scooggin dickey parts. Fast shipping and great customer service..!!
    yeah ive read about others who have got their kids there too. did you replace your slave and master bearing as well?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

No problem, I went through it the hard way...my slave went out and took my master with it, and there was not much life left in the clutch. I put in an LS7 kit with new everything, and haven't looked back But.....it offset me about 650 back then, and the LS7 kit is about 60 bucks more expensive now than when I got mine. So probably gonna set you back a good 700 just for the parts alone...not including the alignment tool, I didn't have to buy that.
    $450 at scoggin dickey for the kit. Alignment tool we have at our shop. I replaced the slave while I was in there but there were really no problems with it, opted out of replacing master. Spent about $100 on slave with my discount. Install was a snap, went in just like an OEM clutch and requires no break in. I did not even have to do the drill mod with the new clutch either, it is all around an awesome one for cheap!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    1999 Camaro SS

cant go wrong with the LS7 kit, i had mine installed about a month ago and have put roughly 800 miles on it since. i absolutely love it.

the 01-02 cars already have the updated slave and master cylinders, so if you don't have any problem with yours now, i wouldn't worry too much about those. i replaced mine since i was getting the sticky pedal under full throttle runs.

i also ordered everything thru KYspeed, great customer service and timely shipping and prices!

expect to spend about 450 for the clutch and flywheel, and possibly another 500 +/- 100 for the install

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Maro SS View Post
    yeah ive read about others who have got their kids there too. did you replace your slave and master bearing as well?
    Yes I replace my slave.. I would replace the slave If I was you, there is no sense in not replacing it even though you don't have alot of miles on it. It would just suck to have to pull everything off again just to replace a slave/throwout bearing. If your slave goes out it can damamge the clutch.!! Then you would have to buy another clutch disc.!! The master can wait and if that does go out then at least it would not damage the clutch..

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    $450 at scoggin dickey for the kit. Alignment tool we have at our shop. I replaced the slave while I was in there but there were really no problems with it, opted out of replacing master. Spent about $100 on slave with my discount. Install was a snap, went in just like an OEM clutch and requires no break in. I did not even have to do the drill mod with the new clutch either, it is all around an awesome one for cheap!
    Does the LS7 need a drill mod? and what exactly does that intale?

sorry for my ignorance

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh actually I miss read that I thought u said u installed the OEM clutch but you said installed just like an OEM clutch. Great! Thanks for all your help guys ill most likely be order my clutch in the next couple weeks and have installed asap. Thanks again everyone!

NBM
    2002 Firehawk T/A

thumbs up for the ls 7

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Having problems with my clutch and I was reading this thread about the LS7 kit. I'm kinda torn between the LS7 kit and a SPEC Stage 2. I do like to get on the clutch a little from time to time and was thinking that the Stage 2 would be a little more durable.

Also, I have a stupid question, is the slave bearing and throwout bearing the same thing? Does the LS7 kit come with these bearings?

Money can always be a factor..

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL WS6 View Post
    Having problems with my clutch and I was reading this thread about the LS7 kit. I'm kinda torn between the LS7 kit and a SPEC Stage 2. I do like to get on the clutch a little from time to time and was thinking that the Stage 2 would be a little more durable.

Also, I have a stupid question, is the slave bearing and throwout bearing the same thing? Does the LS7 kit come with these bearings?

Money can always be a factor..
    Go for the LS7 kit unless you really plan on having 600ft/lbs of torque in the near future.... it's not much more money, and you get a new flywheel too (whereas you do not with the spec kit)

Not a stupid question, the slave cylinder on our cars has the throwout bearing built onto it, but you'll have to order it separate from the LS7 kit. I would recommend buying a new master cylinder as well, it'll save you some heartache later. Oh, and make sure you get a new pilot bearing (they are extremely cheap)
    Last edited by Y2KArcticSS; 06-25-2009 at 08:39 AM.

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Go for the LS7 kit unless you really plan on having 600ft/lbs of torque in the near future.... it's not much more money, and you get a new flywheel too (whereas you do not with the spec kit)

Not a stupid question, the slave cylinder on our cars has the throwout bearing built onto it, but you'll have to order it separate from the LS7 kit. I would recommend buying a new master cylinder as well, it'll save you some heartache later. Oh, and make sure you get a new pilot bearing (they are extremely cheap)
    The only thing that PITA is bleeding the system... Make sure you bench bleed the master if you plan on replacing it..

Black on Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the response. I was leaning towards the LS7 kit, until I read on several of these forums about how it may not be what you want if your hard on the clutch. Some have even mentioned the weight difference from the corvette to the fbody. I wanted to get some other opinions. I am planning some more mods but nothing like 600lbs of torque.

I thought about the master cylinder as well as the rear main but got a little confused regarding the slave cylinder. Would you recommend an after market slave and master cylinder or is there much difference?

Thread Information