Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

LS7 Clutch Junk or Good????

So my plan was to go w the LS7 Clutch but the guy who is going to install my clutch for me said they are good for the stree but thats it! he said a few runs at the track and it will slip and be usless. I have some bolt ons and a cam about 400+ RWHP. So is a LS7 usless?? I really heard many times it was great but this guy who is a LS builder said dont waste the money and go w a monster. Its about 400 more for the monster clutch. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    So my plan was to go w the LS7 Clutch but the guy who is going to install my clutch for me said they are good for the stree but thats it! he said a few runs at the track and it will slip and be usless. I have some bolt ons and a cam about 400+ RWHP. So is a LS7 usless?? I really heard many times it was great but this guy who is a LS builder said dont waste the money and go w a monster. Its about 400 more for the monster clutch. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys
    LS7 is fine for about 450 rwhp then it closes in on being under matched for the power. Z06's are running just fine with stock power at the track. Once they started bolting parts on and such, the clutches started to go. For a cam only car (With Bolt Ons) a monster is overkill in my book. LS7 should do just fine. Thats just my .02. I don't build LS cars (Except my own) but I've read enough about some things
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

BlackSS01 is right on. For bolton cars and even most H/C cars, the LS7 is hard to beat for the money. It'll handle 450rwhp all day and it feels like stock. I run one in my car and love it.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    LS7 is fine for about 450 rwhp then it closes in on being under matched for the power. Z06's are running just fine with stock power at the track. Once they started bolting parts on and such, the clutches started to go. For a cam only car (With Bolt Ons) a monster is overkill in my book. LS7 should do just fine. Thats just my .02. I don't build LS cars (Except my own) but I've read enough about some things
    thats what i have read a million times and this guy seems to hate them not sure why...I was going to do nos but he also got me away from that. but I cant see how a ls7 clutch wouldnt do the job but he told me that just stock power it will slip and idk if i should say screw it and do the ls7 or spend twice the amount for a monster. Id hate to spend 500 and then find out that clutch sucks but everyone on here seems to like it. So we will see if anyone says anything negative. the monster is 800 bucks. But thanks guys

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Deezl SS View Post
    BlackSS01 is right on. For bolton cars and even most H/C cars, the LS7 is hard to beat for the money. It'll handle 450rwhp all day and it feels like stock. I run one in my car and love it.
    You run it at the track often???? What do you have done? Oh and god damn i love Vida!!!!! Thats on my computer right now can we get her on an F Body?? Id pay top dollar for that and shes getting old now so it could be possible............

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

BlackSS01 is dead on. I've been using LS7 Clutch for over a yr now and no issues. They are rated to 550 Hp. Like BlackSS01 stated Vettes are using them no problems. Monster is a good clutch but it is intended for high abused driving like track and autocross.

If you have goals of getting near 500rwhp or spend a lot of time at the track I'd get a better clutch now while you are in there but if you're not the LS7 should be fine. There are plenty of guys here and on tech running the LS7 with set ups similiar to yours and doing fine. I've heard good things about monster but they seem pricey for bolt ons plus cam application.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    If you have goals of getting near 500rwhp or spend a lot of time at the track I'd get a better clutch now while you are in there but if you're not the LS7 should be fine. There are plenty of guys here and on tech running the LS7 with set ups similiar to yours and doing fine. I've heard good things about monster but they seem pricey for bolt ons plus cam application.
    I ran my car 25 times last year...idk if thats a lot or not. but it was so in consistent bcause of my stock usless clutch it always getting stuck to the floor. but i'll prob go w the monster i just dont really want to spent 1200 on a clutch and to get it installed

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    I ran my car 25 times last year...idk if thats a lot or not. but it was so in consistent bcause of my stock usless clutch it always getting stuck to the floor. but i'll prob go w the monster i just dont really want to spent 1200 on a clutch and to get it installed
    25 times ain't shit for a LS7

Upgrade the master/slave and LS7 will handle what you want to do. If you want to spend the money though, its your choice

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

First off, a clutch is not rated by horsepower, it is rated in torque

I have mixed opinions myself about what others in here are telling you. Yes, the LS7 is a great clutch for the street and handles bolt-on power and has a great feel.

However, I don't think it is a "racing" clutch. It wouldn't be my first choice for a car that is going to be seeing a lot of track time. I don't think over time that it will handle the abuse you are going to throw at it at the track. I believe I asked Mark at KYSPEED this same question at one point in another thread and he agreed.

Aftermarket clutches like Monster/Textralia/Spec/RAM are made for track use and abuse.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    First off, a clutch is not rated by horsepower, it is rated in torque

I have mixed opinions myself about what others in here are telling you. Yes, the LS7 is a great clutch for the street and handles bolt-on power and has a great feel.

However, I don't think it is a "racing" clutch. It wouldn't be my first choice for a car that is going to be seeing a lot of track time. I don't think over time that it will handle the abuse you are going to throw at it at the track. I believe I asked Mark at KYSPEED this same question at one point in another thread and he agreed.

Aftermarket clutches like Monster/Textralia/Spec/RAM are made for track use and abuse.
    ok cool. how are the RAM's?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I place the aftermarket clutches in this order from best to worst...

Textralia/RAM/Monster/Spec

I have a Spec Stage 3+ that is rated at 850 lb-ft of torque and I really am not too thrilled about it. It has a shit ton of grip, but it also has some chatter on take-off at times and that isn't something that I really like. I have done clutch dumps at the track though and it holds.

I don't have any experience with any other clutch manufacturer other than Spec. They seem to be the most popular, but I've seen my fair share of people with "chatter" problems with them.

From what I've "read" on here and over on Tech, RAM is a pretty good clutch. I've read some good things about Monster also though.

I think Spec probably gets the most "bad reviews" because it is the clutch that sells the most. So in retrospect, since it out sells all the other ones, it makes sense it will see more bad reviews.

I think the bottom line is...if you plan on beating the shit out of your clutch...over time, regardless of what clutch you get, the friction material will deteriorate and it will start to slip. Some will just last longer than others.

Whatever you get, I would get a "full contact" one and not something like a 5 finger.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I beg to differ on the LS7 clutch. I threw about an honest 100+ track passes and countless street races through my stock clutch, full bolt on with no issues. LS1's dont make close to LS7 torque numbers, even cam/bolt ons. LS7 will be fine. If you plan on straight drag racing or modding beyond its capability then get something better. Im pushing more power and torque then OP with his cam/bolt ons with no issues. To each their own

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Were you running full slicks and dropping your clutch at 6000+ RPM dumps with that LS7?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Were you running full slicks and dropping your clutch at 6000+ RPM dumps with that LS7?
    Nope, stock ten bolt

OP needs to be more informative and what this car will see. 25 passes at this power is fine. If he is goin to become track happy and add more power down the line then go bigger

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nope, stock ten bolt

OP needs to be more informative and what this car will see. 25 passes at this power is fine. If he is goin to become track happy and add more power down the line then go bigger
    Agreed To me, I am just speculating at this point, but 25+ passes a year to me seems pretty track friendly. I might be wrong though as you just pointed out with your 100 passes on a 10 bolt

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Agreed To me, I am just speculating at this point, but 25+ passes a year to me seems pretty track friendly. I might be wrong though as you just pointed out with your 100 passes on a 10 bolt
    Lucky, lucky, lucky I am

Those passes were over a 6 year span but still on the same stock ten bolt

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Lucky, lucky, lucky I am

Those passes were over a 6 year span but still on the same stock ten bolt
    Which just means that you have no idea what your car is really capable of What was your best 60'? Just curious.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Which just means that you have no idea what your car is really capable of What was your best 60'? Just curious.
    Your totally right.......kinda. I still drive the shit outta it at the track and hold nothing back but I use street tires only which blows. Getting DRs for my H/C package right now

I honestly dont know my best time but last time out with just bolt ons was 2.1s

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your totally right.......kinda. I still drive the shit outta it at the track and hold nothing back but I use street tires only which blows. Getting DRs for my H/C package right now

I honestly dont know my best but last time out with just bolt ons was 2.1s
    OK your LS7 statements are totally retracted then

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information