Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Just installed a MGW shifter.

I have a 2002 Z28 I installed a Monster Clutch and a Tick Master about 3 months ago. I didn't install a short throw shifter because I read here that they are difficult to drive. I recently drove a friend's 2012 5.0 Mustang with a short throw shifter and loved it.

I bought the MGW and installed it today. I love it! It shifts much cleaner than the stock shifter. More positive feeling. There is a little bit of additional effort needed to shift, but not bad. I took the car by my parent's house and had my father drive it. After he got use to the short, stiff clutch pedal he liked the shifter too.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Sounds good! Im in need of a tick soon not sure on what to get on the shifter end though,currently i have the Hurst short throw that came with the SS but during high speed shifts it tends to not want to hit third,other memebers have said its not the shifter but my hydraulics...but will see?...its cool that the MGW worked out for you!

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

which monster clutch did you get. before too long i plan to upgrade clutch along with tick master. i have a pro5.0 shifter but really hate that the stock clutch feels like a dumptruck clutch(14" of travel) maybe not that much but my pedal comes out past the brake pedal a good 2-3"

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Sounds good! Im in need of a tick soon not sure on what to get on the shifter end though,currently i have the Hurst short throw that came with the SS but during high speed shifts it tends to not want to hit third,other memebers have said its not the shifter but my hydraulics...but will see?...its cool that the MGW worked out for you!
    Trust me, your problem is not shifter related. It's hydraulic. 100% positive

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I called Monster and spoke with them. The tech rep asked me my plans for the car. I said about 450 to the wheels with occasional track use. The man suggested I buy the stage 2. I bought it and couldn't be happier. Very smooth clutch. With the Tick master and stage 2 clutch, the pedal travel is very short and firm. Very nice to drive. Wouldn't want to drive in rush hour traffic everyday though.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Trust me, your problem is not shifter related. It's hydraulic. 100% positive
    Thanks 35th in fact you were the one that informed me about that! Im not working now so i have to do little at a time Im going to try and flush the system(somehow) and r/r the fluid..I used to manage our families Chevron station( pops retired and we sold it) and loved having a rack but now im just another peon w/o a rack.. I know this can be done as well as alot of things w/o one BUT it sure makes it easier!!!
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-07-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by bad idea View Post
    I called Monster and spoke with them. The tech rep asked me my plans for the car. I said about 450 to the wheels with occasional track use. The man suggested I buy the stage 2. I bought it and couldn't be happier. Very smooth clutch. With the Tick master and stage 2 clutch, the pedal travel is very short and firm. Very nice to drive. Wouldn't want to drive in rush hour traffic everyday though.
    Why? Other then its a pain in the butt to keep pushin in the clutch over and over. Chatter?

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Absolutely no chatter. Very smooth driving clutch. For routine driving it drives great.

The clutch requires additional force due to stiffer springs. The Tick master increases the effort by pushing more fluid in a shorter stroke. The two make for a stiff clutch pedal. Not terrible, but considering I get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic everyday, I wouldn't want to push that pedal in for the average 20 minutes I am in traffic. I spend all day in work boots walking on concrete floors, steel decks, and up and down stairs. I want the ride home to be comfortable. I drive a pick up back and forth. Besides, I wouldn't want to get my car dirty, my line of work leaves me dirty most days.

If you don't mind the stiff pedal then I 100% recommend Monster Clutches. I love mine. Install was a hassle though. Monster clutch sells a premium package they advertise to include everything you need for install. I found out half way through the install I needed new flywheel bolts. That was a hassle and a delay. You definitely want to replace the flywheel bolts. They can be had at your local GM dealer or Monster can supply them with the clutch (I found that out later). The flywheel bolts are torque-to-yield. That means they stretch when torqued and are not re-useable. The other advantage to buying GM bolts is they come coated in a thread sealant that prevents oil from seeping around the flywheel bolts and fouling your new clutch. I haven't finished the break-in period, so I can't tell you how it handles driven hard.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Also note that as you put more miles on your clutch, it will loosen up some (pedal feel). My Spec Stage 3+ was extremely stiff once I installed it, but after a few hundred miles it started to become easier to engage. At the beginning it engaged right off the floor, but now it engages about 1/3 the way up (a guess). I think you might find the same with your Monster clutch after some more miles are put on it.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

Did the pedal get easier to push or did your left leg grow stronger? (joke) A milder pedal sounds good.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It definitely got easier to push. When I first got in the car I didn't think I was going to be able to drive it

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

that is encouraging.

Thread Information