Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

I need help, and fast! Clutch/Transmission problems.

1999 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6

Ok, here is the story:

My clutch and/or transmission is going bad, so I go to a shop and they say that the clutch is bad. "OK, I can deal with that". I ordered a SPEC stage 3 clutch kit from lmperformance.com and took the clutch and car to a different shop that my sister's boyfriend knew about. After a few hours of them having the car, they call and say that the clutch will not work because the flywheel needs to be balanced with the clutch plate. (wouldn't any legitimate shop be able to do this???) So, being the idiot that I am, got suckered into buying their clutch (a Luk Performance clutch, I have no idea what the quality of it is, so if anyone has opinions please let me know). They installed the clutch and I get the car back, it's fine when I shift first through fourth, but 5th will pop out of gear just driving down the road, and 6th sticks into gear. I physically have to punch (or palm-heel) the shifter to get it out of 6th gear. It also grinds a tiny bit going into fourth, but it still goes into gear. Has anyone heard of problems with balancing flywheels with the clutch plate? Will the Spec clutch work in my car? (http://www.lmperformance.com/3479/1.html)

Any help would be great, since I would like to get it done as soon as possible, and I only have 30 days to return the clutch if need be.

Awaiting Activation

black
    1999 trans am ws6

did they replace the slave cylinder? sounds like the clutch is dragging try shifting the box with the engine not running and see if you still have same problem!
    If you do box the box is donkey poo
    If you dont take it back!!

Awaiting Activation

black
    1999 trans am ws6

i always change flywheel (its thin and doesnt take much resurfacing as the hotspots tend to be to deep) with the clutch. The luk clutch is standard in a z06 and comes with a flywheel. I fitted one in my supercharged T/a and its been ok so far. The luk clutch comes with instructions on balancing the flywheel its not to the plate, its to the crank.
    hope this helps
    neal

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Nero.Jacinth View Post
    1999 Pontiac Firebird T/A WS6

Ok, here is the story:

It also grinds a tiny bit going into fourth, but it still goes into gear.

Any help would be great, since I would like to get it done as soon as possible, and I only have 30 days to return the clutch if need be.
    grinding a bit going into gear sounds like your syncros in your tranny. go to transmission forum and see members comments on some of there problems and see if they match yours

Thread Information