Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Angry Hurst Billet Plus Question/Problem

I put this thing in a few days ago, and notice going into third in a hurry it grinds a bit. But if I go in slowly it just clicks in, is this normal? Would the shifter be causing this or does it sound like the transmission. The thing runs great, shifts great, and no noise out of the tranny. My car only has 28000 miles on it, so I don't think its the tranny.

I am just a little disappointed in the hurst, it shifts nicely, just seems like this didn't happen with the stock shifter. Also its tough sometimes to get into second, as in I think its in all the way and its not. You have to give it a little more of a push into gear sometimes.

I don't know, none of this happened before the shifter install. Could this be the stop bolt positions? I followed the directions that everybody says about backing them out just a bit and pushing hard on the shifter so it comes in contact, blah blah. So help me out here, whats the deal? Is this common? Thanks a lot!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

It is your tranny and not the shifter

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

But the thing is it worked perfectly with the stock shifter. I had not a single problem before the hurst, which leads me to believe its the hurst...

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

You'll hear more noise and shifting effort's gonna be higher no matter what. There's no more thick rubber bushing on the lever to absorb all that vibration and noise as there is on the stocker.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Yeah I figured that, just didn't expect as much I guess. I just ordered the pro 5.0 so once that is in I will have all the confidence in the world since that one is tried and true according to everyone on here. The hurst is going back to summit once the pro 5.0 gets here.

White
    1998 Camaro Z28

im having the same problems! i thought it was my tranny but im guessin it is the shiftermu recomend the pro 5.0?

Your shifter is not causing the clash-shifting you describe. If you have your heart set on a 5.0 , go for it but you will still have the same shift problem. I suspect the 3rd synchronizer is just plain worn out .

White
    1998 Camaro Z28

the guy just said that wen he put the hurst shifter it started doin it,so i doubt its the tranny or any big problem like that

It's not the shifter it's either not adjusted right or there is another issue. Yes they are not as quiet as the stock shifter but the shifts should be no more difficult and more positive that's the whole idea behind getting an aftermarket shifter. As a matter of fact most state no more blown 3rd gear shifts in there ads. I have never used the Pro 5 but I hear it makes more noise then the hurst. Maybe you will have better luck with the Pro 5 who knows. I have never heard of anyone having issues like this with a properly adjusted hurst billet shifter.

Thread Information