Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

HELP! Help! HELP!!!! T-56

I'm having issues with my T-56 manual transmission. All the gears are fine except for reverse it like to slam out of. Doesnt matter how slow or how lightly you feather out the clutch, it will slam out of reverse and sometimes grind a little....very aggrevating. So anyways, took it to a trans shop expecting at the worst to be like $700-$800..it's just one gear right??? Well they came back telling me it's going to be almost $1700......NO WAY IN HELL!!! I was told the reverse gear and synchro need to be replaced. Never done trans work before, so if anyone know of a decently priced place in metro detroit that I could take it, or if it's possible to do it myself, whats involved, or if theres a reference guide anywhere. Picking it up in the morning and would like to get it fixed sooner then later. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

They are probably right. Price is a little steep, though. For that you could get the whole tranny upgraded. You will have to pull and replace the tranny yourself, though. If you can't do that, you would have to pay them to do the r and r, then send it off.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sounds like reverse syncronizer is shot to me.

Though manual transmissions are substantially simpler in nature than an automatic,

I would not recommend digging into it yourself without @ least some help from someone that knows the T56 inside and out.

Especially if you have no patience, money, and only have a few hand tools.

You'll need specialized tools as well,, such as, a good set of dial calipars, feeler guages, a good set of micrometers, etc,etc,,

and a healthy understanding of how to read and use them...

A transmission is very precise inside.

In general terms, many times when something goes wrong inside,

it can sometimes have broad (and not usually good) results on other internal componets.

NOW, with all that said,, it does not mean you can't do it yourself!!

First thing I would do is locate the specifide tech manual for your model year.

I don't mean a haynes or a chilton (both useless in your situation) from the corner parts store..

I mean the actual GM tech repair manual.

The newest model f-body is now 10 years old, there's a good chance you may find one for sale.

A true tech manual will contain tollerance charts for specific componets, as well as proper proceedures.

A good place to start a hunt is Ebay.

In the past few years I've personally gotten to know the various FWD (interchangablility) manual transmission types for my project.

One thing I found true with ALL transmissions (no matter what type of car/truck it comes in) is you don't want have to do it again soon.

Good luck, and post any questions you may have.
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-26-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks for the advice..........I'm probably gonna try to find someone that can do it for a little less, but if I can manage to find one of those manuals I may end up buying an old trans somewhere and just trying, because I've never even opened one up before, and you don't know until you try right??

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My T56 level IV upgrade was 2K, which included everything but the input shaft. I used RPM transmission out of IN. Been flawless since and I'm pushing a lot of power.

I'd agree it's your synchros that are bad though. Price seems pretty steep to me.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I just went through this problem except mine broke a synchro key for 4th gear. Here we go. 400.00 for R&R. 650.00 for stage II kit ( The Gear Box ), 500.00 for bench time, 250.00 for extra upgrades, 160.00 new 5.0 shifter and 50.00 for fluid and misc. Total cash price is just over 2k. Sorry, but dems da facts.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sounds like a good time to go through the whole thing to me.

I wouldn't remove one of those monsters just for a reverse syncro...I'd just buy a whole kit and do it all with some upgrades while you're at it.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well yeah, if I'm getting the entire thing upgraded I don't mind paying $2k, just wasn't willing to pay that for one gear and synchro, D & D Motorsports was introduced to me today, they seem to know their stuff and will throw a few upgrades in at the same time. All good.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysZ28 View Post
    thanks for the advice..........I'm probably gonna try to find someone that can do it for a little less, but if I can manage to find one of those manuals I may end up buying an old trans somewhere and just trying, because I've never even opened one up before, and you don't know until you try right??
    That's right..

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Sounds like a good time to go through the whole thing to me.

I wouldn't remove one of those monsters just for a reverse syncro...I'd just buy a whole kit and do it all with some upgrades while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysZ28 View Post
    Well yeah, if I'm getting the entire thing upgraded I don't mind paying $2k, just wasn't willing to pay that for one gear and synchro, D & D Motorsports was introduced to me today, they seem to know their stuff and will throw a few upgrades in at the same time. All good.
    Touchdown!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You're welcome., bud. Let us know how they do, and what the price was. Some of us are always needing a good tranny shop.

Thread Information