1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

Lightbulb Help! Clutch won't disengage!I think!

Ok so I was just cruising around in the car not driving it hard and it became difficult to shift,quickly,so I stopped and turned it off. After that when I started it with the clutch in it would not go into any gear. I could put it into gear with the car off and as soon as I started the car it would start rolling immediately. The clutch pedal feels fine but who knows what that means. The slave looks ok but again who knows by looks. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!!!

Equipment: Spec 2 clutch, stock flywheel, '02 Slave Cylinder, '02 Master Cylinder w/drill mod. All this was installed May 2005. Thanks for any and all help!!!!

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

No the clutch wouldn't disengage, I already replaced it, a spring came out of the hub of the clutch disc. Replaced the clutch disc and we're good to go! Thanks!

color
    02 Camaro

Clunk, then clutch wont disengage, pedal is harder

Quote Originally Posted by '99 SLP#24 View Post
    No the clutch wouldn't disengage, I already replaced it, a spring came out of the hub of the clutch disc. Replaced the clutch disc and we're good to go! Thanks!
    I posted elsewhere, then found this post. I have a similar problem, and thought I'd see what people here think.

02 Camaro, daily driver, but driven conservatively. The car was cold, I backed out of the parking space, went forward about 10 feet, and came to a complete stop. I then shifted into reverse and backed up. I depressed the clutch pedal from full extension. Just as I was reaching the maximum pedal travel, I heard a loud metallic clunk and the clutch re-engaged. (stalling the engine)

I am now able to depress the clutch pedal, but it takes more effort than normal. (the main difference from your situation) The clutch does *NOT* dis-engage.

The metallic clunk sounded like a spring under tension being released, do you think it could be the same problem? Is this common?

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

It could be what type of clutch are you running? More than likely one of your hydraulic cylinders failed and the clunk was the assembly slamming back down under loss of pressure. My problem is kind of uncommon unless you have a Spec 2 clutch that was one of the first ones made!

color
    02 Camaro

Question

It could be what type of clutch are you running? More than likely one of your hydraulic cylinders failed and the clunk was the assembly slamming back down under loss of pressure. My problem is kind of uncommon unless you have a Spec 2 clutch that was one of the first ones made!
    The clutch assembly is stock for an '02 from the factory. I've never changed it. I don't see any fluid leaking out. I've watched the reservoir while the pedal is operated and can't see anything happening. (I don't know if I would normally, never tried that before.)

I was surprised when I read about your problem, that did seem rather unusual to me. If this is the way the stock hydraulics fail, then that's probably what's happened. I've seen plenty of people complain about the stock hydraulics, but didn't see any description of failure similar to mine.

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

it could be best thing to do is just take it apart and look to see what's wrong! Good luck to ya!

color
    02 Camaro

it could be best thing to do is just take it apart and look to see what's wrong! Good luck to ya!
    I'm out of town, with out tools so I had it towed to the local dealer this morning. They took it apart and it seems that the clutch had disintegrated.

I've rush ordered a Stage 1 SPEC Star Clutch Kit w/ Flywheel, and should be running again on friday. I'm still stock, and drive fairly conservatively, so I think that it should be fine.

I was expecting some slipping before total failure, this was quite a surprise.

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

Yeah that is kind of strange to not have any signs before it went out, but you said is disentegrated so it sounds like it was a weak disc to begin with. That sucks!!! Good luck with getting it fixed!! Don't forget to replace the pilot bearing while you're in there!

Red; 58,000 org. miles
    1999 Camaro Z28, M6....

That happened to me in May and it means that the clutch is shoootttt!!! sucks bro...

black
    2002 WS6

clutches do that now and then, happend to friend in a toyota mini truck clutch plate broke at a stop sign, dad had one let go in his chevell, mind you it was at the drag strip, broke a few axels too.

Thread Information